Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Owner's Manual

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed an interesting feature. The car auto-locks itself when you walk away with the FOB (this can be turned off).

Interesting. It sounds like they've come up with a model where you never lock or unlock anything. You just walk up to the car, open the door, sit down and drive, then get out and walk away.
This is how my Corvette worked and I loved the feature. Never had to pull the fob out of my pocket. Looking forward to this w/ the Tech Package.

Compared to our Corvettes, the Model S adds automatically "starting" and automatically turning off the car to the widely available auto lock and unlock. The first 'Vette we had with auto lock/unlock was a 1987, and it still needed development. If you stood next to your car to talk to someone, the car would keep locking any unlocking continuously. Fortunately you could disable the feature.

I usually lock my wife in, for her safety. She can still exit by just unlocking the door first.

GSP

Saw a couple of mistakes:
1. 19" rims are are listed as 8.0J in front and 9.0J in rear. Guess you would have to dismount the tyres to rotate them… :wink:
2. 21" tyres are listed as Continental DWS instead of DW.
3. Service interval is given as 12 months or 12000 miles instead of 12500 miles as per blogs and discussion here.

There's also a few spelling mistakes, but overall it's well out together IMO.

The auto-lock will only work for us if it senses passengers too. If I stop outside a shop and go inside with my wife still in the car, I do not want her locked in...

You sure? ;)

Looks like with active air suspension you could use Jack mode and the very high setting to get over ramps, up and down your driveway, in and out of your garage, etc. as long as your speed is under 4.5 mph. As soon as you go faster, it cancels the Jack mode automatically.
No; you do NOT want to use the "Jack" mode for anything other than jacking and transporting. To get over ramps, steep driveways, etc., just set the active air suspension to Very High. You still want the car to be able to dynamically level itself, though, so don't use Jack.

I enjoyed the Two Door Cinema Club icon in the dash example on page 4 -- "Something Good Can Work" is the relatively famous song from that album.
If your Model S has Active Air Suspension, you may notice that as you accelerate, Model S lowers to optimize aerodynamics and increase range. It also lowers to load and unload passengers. You can use the touchscreen to manually control the Model S suspension settings (see page 8).
I still don't understand why lowering the car helps with loading/unloading passengers.

A feature request: separate "favorites" lists (songs, browser history/favorites) based on which key fob is active.
White and tan leather is coated with an antisoiling treatment.
Good to know.
Do not expose Model S to ambient temperatures above 140° F (60° C) or below -22° F (-30° C) for more than 24 hours at a time.
Good to know.

No; you do NOT want to use the "Jack" mode for anything other than jacking and transporting. To get over ramps, steep driveways, etc., just set the active air suspension to Very High. You still want the car to be able to dynamically level itself, though, so don't use Jack.
Quoting for context, not to disagree.

The language is repeated that 4.5mph will cancel "JACK" mode, further reinforcing that it's not intended to driven in that mode.

I didn't catch any language in the ms_owners_guide.pdf relating to what speed deactivates "VERY HIGH".

- - - Updated - - -

I still don't understand why lowering the car helps with loading/unloading passengers.
I think of it in the following light.

If you have a roadster, you might want to raise the vehicle to load/unload passengers.
If you have a pickup truck, you might want to lower the vehicle to load/unload passengers.

At highway speeds, the Model S is lowered. At low speeds, the Model S is raised to improve clearing on poorly maintained and/or uneven roads.

If you "paused time" on the freeway to load passengers, it would be more like a roadster -- raising desired.
Under normal conditions, you'll pick up passengers after having rolled to a stop from low speeds, it's more like a pickup truck -- lowering desired.

But what if you have a driveway that's sloped up 10-15 degrees, like I do? If I back out of my driveway and it's trying to self level, the front of the car will be low and the back high. Exactly what I don't want, because when I back into the street, the nose would hit the driveway pavement.

I don't think I quite understand how self leveling works...

But what if you have a driveway that's sloped up 10-15 degrees, like I do? If I back out of my driveway and it's trying to self level, the front of the car will be low and the back high. Exactly what I don't want, because when I back into the street, the nose would hit the driveway pavement.

Do you think front and back suspension will set to different heights? I don't think so. That'd be wierd IMO.

Agree with previous posters about the strangeness of "lowering the car for loading/unloading passengers". This should be user configurable. Also, if it's safe to go faster than 4.5 mph with suspension at Very high I'd like to be able to (for winter and deep snow, going over high snow banks etc).

I think the "leveling" is to make sure the wheels are all the same distance from the body. So if you put 500 pounds in the trunk it will restore the original suspension position.

As I understand it, the Jack mode basically locks the suspension down. Useful for jacking/towing, but for driving? Imagine replacing your shock absorbers with bricks.

What you want to do, @mulder1231, is get the car as high as possible, so put the suspension into "very high" mode. Activating "Jack" mode doesn't raise it any higher.

I think the "leveling" is to make sure the wheels are all the same distance from the body. So if you put 500 pounds in the trunk it will restore the original suspension position.

That is my understanding as well. The suspension won't care about the angle of the car or you'd have a problem on every mountain road.

That is my understanding as well. The suspension won't care about the angle of the car or you'd have a problem on every mountain road.

Thanks for explaining, Doug and jerry33, I had this weird idea in my head about the Model S self level doing the same thing as my auto leveling laser kit that I use for installing kitchen cabinets.

What you want to do, @mulder1231, is get the car as high as possible, so put the suspension into "very high" mode. Activating "Jack" mode doesn't raise it any higher.

Thanks Roberts, makes sense.

Don't know what I was thinking... :biggrin:

Last edited: