Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Plaid Brakes Are Terrible!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for posting our video and sharing well-thought-out commentary. It's much appreciated. I believe Tesla is looking into the issue that we experienced on the track with the Plaid, and hopefully it is something that would only ever occur when stability control is disabled. I wish we had time to validate that at the track when we were there.

We'll of course keep you updated as things progress. Sadly there is snow on the ground here now, so we're benched for the time being. Thank you so much to Chad and Andrew from TeamPGR for being incredible development partners through that stressful moment. We're really fortunate that the only damage was a cracked front plastic undertray. Not even a scratch on the car thanks to the wet ground!

I wanted to address wheel size in regards to my earlier comment. Two points:

#1 - Tire diameter (forget about sidewall for a moment), leads to more grip. Wider is better, and taller is better too. Especially in the case of such a heavy car, you basically cannot fit a tire that is "too large". The comment I made suggesting that no one that was looking for serious performance would consider a 19" wheel, was made specifically due to the diameter that 19" tires are available in. The OE 21" Plaid tires are 720mm in diameter in the front, and 740mm in the rear.

These are TALL tires! No doubt chosen for a reason, as that helps with longitudinal acceleration. Something the Plaid needs all the help it can get to put down 1000hp!

While the Plaid doesn't suffer from the same kind of high-rpm power dropoff that the Model 3 does (thank you carbon-sleeved rotors!), it is still optimal for grip and motor efficiency to keep as much diameter there as you can.

The 315/30/20 tires we are using at this point are 700mm in diameter, and that is about as small as I would want to go. I would prefer to use a taller tire to be honest, and it is something we're looking into. It's just difficult as some of the OEM special tires have more grip than the generic counterparts, and right now we are using a Ford Performance variant that we think might be an advantage.

When we look at tires in the 700+ diameter in 19's, you'll see that there are not many options:

A quick glance (there could be mistakes) shows the following at or above 700mm in diameter:

PS4S - 275/40/19 is the only size listed at or above 700mm
Pilot Sport Cup 2 - nothing
Eagle F1 Supercar 3R - nothing
Trofeo R - nothing
Kumho V720 - Hope you can fit 355's!
RE71R - nothing

Tires are worth so much lap time, that any thinking about a pound or two of unsprung mass is nothing compared to fitting the optimal size tire. LMP1 cars use tires that are 710mm in diameter, and they only weigh 1900lbs! Every time we've moved to a larger diameter tire on our racecar (which is now running GTD lap times, with GTD levels of power), we've seen a big step up in performance. If you look at other GT3 cars, you'll see that they all run extremely tall tires in comparison to their factory counterparts. This is not by mistake.

Since we're talking about a car with tons of power and weight, it will overheat the tires quickly - so the larger the tire, the more rubber you have to average that load over, and thus the cooler the tire will run - or the longer it will go before it feels like it's melting underneath you.

#2 - If you still want 19's (tires are cheaper!), I'm happy to report that with our 400mm BBK we have over 16mm of clearance to the 20" Martian wheel that is on the car now, meaning a 19" would most likely fit (1/2" = 12.7mm). We also just test fit an Advan RGIII 19" wheel and it appears to have ample clearance (around 10mm). So if you want to use 19's, it is most likely not a problem to do so as long as you find wheels with a lot of barrel clearance.

If I could make the rotors even larger, I would do that. Ultimately getting the brakes to work and last for a few laps is the most important thing and a 1000hp car with the one of the lowest drag coefficients on the market is putting SO much heat into the brakes, it's really hard to overstate it. The stability / traction control are doing nothing compared to the raw power.

To put it in perspective, at the local track from the video, the Plaid is slowing a 5000lb car (including driver) from 240km/h to 130km/h, whereas an AWD Model 3 is slowing a 4200lb car from 190km/h to 130km/h. That's something like 2.5 times the amount of energy going into the brakes/battery.

Before the snow fell I experimented with flexing the OEM anti-drag springs, and it appears that they can be yielded (bent) to a point where they will stop the pad rattle but still make a difference to pedal feel.

I had bent them too far, so there was still some light pad rattle, but the pedal feel from the prototype pads, rotors, and removal of that "dead zone" was incredible. The brakes actually feel GOOD. Not just average, but I would say good. They weren't perfect but if you went from the current pedal feel to this, I'm pretty sure no one would ask for anything more!

Now if we can just get this ABS fixed and the snow off the ground for one more test... Originally we had an optimistic goal of a 1:14, but I now feel like a 1:13 would be possible. I did a 1:15.2 on a very careful lap after the brake failure, and without talking about improving the restrictive exits - I was leaving at least 1.5 seconds on the table in braking (for obvious reasons!).

For a street tire that must be some kind of record at this small little track. There was a time not too long ago when a 1:15 on slicks was very fast. IMSA GT4 cars would do a 1:14-1:15 around this track not too long ago when they were using Continental tires. I currently hold the RWD lap record with our Time Attack 350z car with a 1:09 - and that is with brand new prepped slicks, so it gives you an idea of how fast a 1:13 is.

Totally agree, more tire is more tire, people always forget that. Taller tire also means the rubber hits the road less often because fewer revolutions at a given road speed. So, the tread block gets a slightly longer fraction of a second before it gets smeared against the road again.

BTW, Goodyear makes Big and Tall sizes in the Supercar 3 - They have a nice Plaid size actually, 285/35-20. https://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Eagle+F1+Supercar+3 and they have a 305/35-20 that might work in the rear too

The Supercar3 is comparable to slightly slower pace to other Super200 street tires like RE71R or the Falken, and more heat tolerant. I have a set of these and they're a pretty amazing dual-duty street/track tire. Considering its capabilites NVH isn't bad; it doesn't hum or roar like, for instance, the Dunlop. Much more tolerant of extreme beatings than the PS4S, with the trade-off being a little more NVH from an extremely stiff carcass (I could get away with 5-6psi less cold pressure in these tires on track than Hankooks, for instance) and wet/cold performance vs. the PS4S, but almost nothing is as good in PS4S in cold+wet

The market for big and tall Super200 and track capable tires is only getting bigger as more manufacturers go up on tire size to fit their bigger faster heavier vehicles. I think you'll start to see more offerings in that 285/35-20 and similar sizes in the future, even the itty bitty Boxster 718 uses a nearly 28" tall tire now in some trims

I always recommend setting the car up around the tires that are available because wheels are a hell of a lot easier to source custom than tires...lol

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for posting our video and sharing well-thought-out commentary. It's much appreciated. I believe Tesla is looking into the issue that we experienced on the track with the Plaid, and hopefully it is something that would only ever occur when stability control is disabled. I wish we had time to validate that at the track when we were there.

We'll of course keep you updated as things progress. Sadly there is snow on the ground here now, so we're benched for the time being. Thank you so much to Chad and Andrew from TeamPGR for being incredible development partners through that stressful moment. We're really fortunate that the only damage was a cracked front plastic undertray. Not even a scratch on the car thanks to the wet ground!

I wanted to address wheel size in regards to my earlier comment. Two points:

#1 - Tire diameter (forget about sidewall for a moment), leads to more grip. Wider is better, and taller is better too. Especially in the case of such a heavy car, you basically cannot fit a tire that is "too large". The comment I made suggesting that no one that was looking for serious performance would consider a 19" wheel, was made specifically due to the diameter that 19" tires are available in. The OE 21" Plaid tires are 720mm in diameter in the front, and 740mm in the rear.

These are TALL tires! No doubt chosen for a reason, as that helps with longitudinal acceleration. Something the Plaid needs all the help it can get to put down 1000hp!

While the Plaid doesn't suffer from the same kind of high-rpm power dropoff that the Model 3 does (thank you carbon-sleeved rotors!), it is still optimal for grip and motor efficiency to keep as much diameter there as you can.

The 315/30/20 tires we are using at this point are 700mm in diameter, and that is about as small as I would want to go. I would prefer to use a taller tire to be honest, and it is something we're looking into. It's just difficult as some of the OEM special tires have more grip than the generic counterparts, and right now we are using a Ford Performance variant that we think might be an advantage.

When we look at tires in the 700+ diameter in 19's, you'll see that there are not many options:

A quick glance (there could be mistakes) shows the following at or above 700mm in diameter:

PS4S - 275/40/19 is the only size listed at or above 700mm
Pilot Sport Cup 2 - nothing
Eagle F1 Supercar 3R - nothing
Trofeo R - nothing
Kumho V720 - Hope you can fit 355's!
RE71R - nothing

Tires are worth so much lap time, that any thinking about a pound or two of unsprung mass is nothing compared to fitting the optimal size tire. LMP1 cars use tires that are 710mm in diameter, and they only weigh 1900lbs! Every time we've moved to a larger diameter tire on our racecar (which is now running GTD lap times, with GTD levels of power), we've seen a big step up in performance. If you look at other GT3 cars, you'll see that they all run extremely tall tires in comparison to their factory counterparts. This is not by mistake.

Since we're talking about a car with tons of power and weight, it will overheat the tires quickly - so the larger the tire, the more rubber you have to average that load over, and thus the cooler the tire will run - or the longer it will go before it feels like it's melting underneath you.

#2 - If you still want 19's (tires are cheaper!), I'm happy to report that with our 400mm BBK we have over 16mm of clearance to the 20" Martian wheel that is on the car now, meaning a 19" would most likely fit (1/2" = 12.7mm). We also just test fit an Advan RGIII 19" wheel and it appears to have ample clearance (around 10mm). So if you want to use 19's, it is most likely not a problem to do so as long as you find wheels with a lot of barrel clearance.

If I could make the rotors even larger, I would do that. Ultimately getting the brakes to work and last for a few laps is the most important thing and a 1000hp car with the one of the lowest drag coefficients on the market is putting SO much heat into the brakes, it's really hard to overstate it. The stability / traction control are doing nothing compared to the raw power.

To put it in perspective, at the local track from the video, the Plaid is slowing a 5000lb car (including driver) from 240km/h to 130km/h, whereas an AWD Model 3 is slowing a 4200lb car from 190km/h to 130km/h. That's something like 2.5 times the amount of energy going into the brakes/battery.

Before the snow fell I experimented with flexing the OEM anti-drag springs, and it appears that they can be yielded (bent) to a point where they will stop the pad rattle but still make a difference to pedal feel.

I had bent them too far, so there was still some light pad rattle, but the pedal feel from the prototype pads, rotors, and removal of that "dead zone" was incredible. The brakes actually feel GOOD. Not just average, but I would say good. They weren't perfect but if you went from the current pedal feel to this, I'm pretty sure no one would ask for anything more!

Now if we can just get this ABS fixed and the snow off the ground for one more test... Originally we had an optimistic goal of a 1:14, but I now feel like a 1:13 would be possible. I did a 1:15.2 on a very careful lap after the brake failure, and without talking about improving the restrictive exits - I was leaving at least 1.5 seconds on the table in braking (for obvious reasons!).

For a street tire that must be some kind of record at this small little track. There was a time not too long ago when a 1:15 on slicks was very fast. IMSA GT4 cars would do a 1:14-1:15 around this track not too long ago when they were using Continental tires. I currently hold the RWD lap record with our Time Attack 350z car with a 1:09 - and that is with brand new prepped slicks, so it gives you an idea of how fast a 1:13 is.
Thank you, this is all great information.

Right now anyone looking for track/autocross tires for a Plaid is quite limited based on diameter.

For the top 200 TW tires, it looks like it is limited to
Goodyear SC3
Yokohama A051 285/35-15
Mich Pilot Sport Cup 2 connect 285, 295, and 305 all in 20's

And sub 200 TW:

Goodyear SC 3R 285/30-20
Pirella Trofeo R 295/35-20
Toyo R888R in 285, 295 and 305 all in 20"

The tallest Hoosier is a 20" at 27.1.

I suspect that most people who would put these on would be for short-term use, as none of these tires, except maybe the Goodyear SC3 are very good on the street.

I have not sure how many plaid owners would be buying a dedicated set up for the track. It does not seem like a good track car given its weight.

I was planning to get a set of track tires for occasional use, and run 19 inch Pirelli snow tires in the winter, in the 19 inch OEM Pirelli OEM in the summer. So a braking option that can be used all year, and would not require changing rotors to go to the track, would require something that fits under 19 inch wheels. I do not really want to buy3 sets of 20 inch wheels for winter, regular driving, and track.

,If the data from the parts catalogue is correct, the upcoming track pack wheels on rear are supposed to be 20 x 11 with 305/30/20 sport cup tires.

That would have a diameter of 27.2 inches.

There are some 19 inch tires of that size:
Falken RT660 295/35/19
Yokohama Advan A052 295/35/19
Hoosier R6 295/35-19 and 315/35/19
Pilot Sport Cup 2 305/35/19

That expands the range quite a bit for sure. I think there are a few options for the front that may also be an option.

Of course, we're open to feedback - and as we did with the Model 3 we will make OE-sized replacement 2pc rotors for those that want to use OE 19" wheels or 19" wheels that cannot fit the 400mm kit.

However, for those considering track use, it makes sense to go with the 20" wheels for the track and fit the largest rotor you can - And find some 19's that you can fit your winter tires over.

I've used a few caliper rebuild kits over the years on my track only 996 GT3 and over 6k track miles, Centric, OEM Brembo and RacingBrake and the best so far has been RacingBrake. They cost a little more but the quality is top notch and for track use where you want and need brakes i figured it was always worth the extra for no hassle braking. Their stainless pistons also look the business when installed.

1637770218528.png

...The old wisdom you quoted (boots not necessary) was from those days before RB offered durable dust boots that never got burnt nor torn. Boots are made to protect your calipers from braking and road debris, moisture, water etc. from entering into the piston chambers to assure the proper functioning of your calipers and prolong the life of your seals and pistons, and assure calipers the proper & smooth functions....

RB-CCB Brake System on Porsche's 991 Turbo S run on Pikes Peak Racing in 2017

80_img_5487_586bcf55c1b1fc944a4a4dd65232ba02a790b87d_f9d9e8d50f3602daa45646535664a62a3c47cb30.jpg

80_img_5491_30b851638d96e613c80d93a93f6a1eb4847980e1_0f923326ecc0803ddf960cdf1634dcb221dbef1a.jpg

80_img_pp2017_p3_003af_9d28033d4bafd9922eaf5e66200b57effdf8fd73_0ebfdffa917494aa0c3c87d133374d0fd35a7aa1.jpg

img_7139_859786a3e6677e5b669006900e19bb0b4a1fb86e.jpg

img_7138_e786287e4558fe002a914f1b01224d5a269eb12d.jpg

In depth review by Porsche professional racer - David Donahue:

Last edited:
Tesla claimed to have broken Nürburgring record, followed by mass media broadcasting and advertisement on Randy P. run on Pikes Peak, broken record on Laguna Seca etc. All claims are based on stock Plaid with"stock" brakes.

So far I have yet to see any brake pics installed on those "stock" cars, or Randy's comment about the adequacy on Plaid's brakes (which I am sure he knows well), so lots of misinformation on media & internet (including TMC forum discussion), and I would caution members here to read and learn at their own discretion, and would again ask all members to post responsibly based on their real life experience instead of internet knowledge so members are not misled.

Last edited:
Tesla claimed to have broken Nürburgring record, followed by mass media broadcasting and advertisement on Randy P. run on Pikes Peak, broken record on Laguna Seca etc. All claims are based on stock Plaid with"stock" brakes.

So far I have yet to see any brake pics installed on those "stock" cars, or Randy's comment about the adequacy on Plaid's brakes (which I am sure he knows well), so lots of misinformation on media & internet (including TMC forum discussion), and I would caution members here to read and learn at their own discretion, and would again ask all members to post responsibly based on their real life experience instead of internet knowledge so members are not misled.

Not sure where you got for information RB - UP Pikes Peak car was definitely not on stock brakes, there's lots of comments and pictures out there from UP and other news organizations to corroborate that. At Laguna it was likely running the same non-OEM spec. Tesla's Laguna lap was stated to be 'production spec', but as you say they've not released what spec and the video clearly shows a car without interior, etc etc. We also know after that video that the Plaid + spec was not released to the public - so could it have been that spec with the CCBs? Certainly plausible.

The ring car is supposedly "as delivered from the factory" and certified by the Ring. In the videos you can see quite clearly that the driver is doing quite a bit of lift and coast - one plausible explanation is that the brakes are not up to the task of going 100%, so he was easy on them to set a time. That said track spotters have seen the Plaid+ version of the car (with CCBs) and the other Dev mule going much faster, plausibly because it has the brake to do so.

That doesn't change the fact that the Plaids we all have now need more brake. I'm happy to see that there are multiple vendors taking this on, and happy to be working with MPP/Sasha to develop a system for our car and their customers. I would love to see the engineering data from RB that Sasha has shared regarding balance/performance so potential customers can weigh the benefits and costs of each.

Back on the other topic - the tire question is important - for teamPGR's use in the 2022 One Lap we have specific rules that preclude us from using whatever is fastest over one lap. We are required to buy tires from the presenting sponsor (Tire Rack) and a participating manufacturer with 200tw or greater. They have to last the entire 4000+ mile event and do all 17 events and return back with tread! Obviously for individual track days/sessions there might be a different optimal choice. But the tires you laid out (plus the PS4S) are the leading candidates for sure.

Looking forward to seeing the results of the MPP testing on our car with the upgraded pads/rotors/fluid!

Last edited:

Wow

Reactions: ninefiveone
Racing Brake Rotors & Pads on the MS Plaid - Wow!! I’m sorry but just doing this…better compound pads (RB XT910 street performance pads) and same size rotors as oem but with much lighter weight RB drilled/slotted rotors by RB (you can feel the weight savings on the corners…my car seems much lighter and more toss-able!) and it definitely slows & stops better than with the oem rotors and pads. Much grippier on the brake pedal feel, little to no fade, not as squishy as oem and gets a better bite down now even from higher speeds! So far, there are no squeals, squeaks, rattles, or any other issues. Not sure on the brake dust yet. The auto shop that put them on did the bedding according to RB’s instructions.

Now, having said this...these are just my first initial impressions as I just got them installed today so I haven't had much time with them. But, the difference in braking performance and feel is absolutely apparent and I can feel better about trying to slow my MS Plaid down and/or stop from higher speeds! 👍

So all this banter back and forth and “hating” on RB on the TMC forum (without people actually experiencing their products specifically on the MS Plaid) is just b.s. Their products seem to work well and may just be exactly what I was looking for with my MS Plaid! So it seems to me that neither larger rotors nor a BBK are are actually required on the MS Plaid, at least for street use. Just drilled/slotted lighter weight rotors & better compound pads for street use. I have not tried the RB track pads (XT970) yet, but if they're even better than their XT910 street pads, then all I can say is you track people may happy putting them on your MS Plaids! While I understand there will be many other options, at least you all know that RB has decent brake upgrade options for the MS Plaid right now! :cool:
image1.jpeg
image2.jpeg
sflgator MS Plaid 11-24-21.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone see this?

Anyone see this?

NICE 🤤

Reactions: wenkan and impastu
Anyone see this?

$20k. :oops: Um, how about NO! Nice that Tesla has realized that the current oem brake rotors & pads are insufficient for the MS Plaid, and it's nice to see they're going to offer this upgraded ceramic brake kit for the car (track use of course). However, $20k for an upgraded brake system is CRAZY even for average & occasional track use, imho. If someone is seriously going to track their MS Plaid, I think there will be many other 3rd party BBKs with similar or better performance and reliability that will be much more cost effective.

Not sure where you got for information RB - UP Pikes Peak car was definitely not on stock brakes, there's lots of comments and pictures out there from UP and other news organizations to corroborate that. At Laguna it was likely running the same non-OEM spec. Tesla's Laguna lap was stated to be 'production spec', but as you say they've not released what spec and the video clearly shows a car without interior, etc etc. We also know after that video that the Plaid + spec was not released to the public - so could it have been that spec with the CCBs? Certainly plausible.

The ring car is supposedly "as delivered from the factory" and certified by the Ring. In the videos you can see quite clearly that the driver is doing quite a bit of lift and coast - one plausible explanation is that the brakes are not up to the task of going 100%, so he was easy on them to set a time. That said track spotters have seen the Plaid+ version of the car (with CCBs) and the other Dev mule going much faster, plausibly because it has the brake to do so.

That doesn't change the fact that the Plaids we all have now need more brake. I'm happy to see that there are multiple vendors taking this on, and happy to be working with MPP/Sasha to develop a system for our car and their customers. I would love to see the engineering data from RB that Sasha has shared regarding balance/performance so potential customers can weigh the benefits and costs of each.

Back on the other topic - the tire question is important - for teamPGR's use in the 2022 One Lap we have specific rules that preclude us from using whatever is fastest over one lap. We are required to buy tires from the presenting sponsor (Tire Rack) and a participating manufacturer with 200tw or greater. They have to last the entire 4000+ mile event and do all 17 events and return back with tread! Obviously for individual track days/sessions there might be a different optimal choice. But the tires you laid out (plus the PS4S) are the leading candidates for sure.

Looking forward to seeing the results of the MPP testing on our car with the upgraded pads/rotors/fluid!

For 200TW, you basically only have 2 options that will be fast in 20" sizes over 27" tall:

Goodyear SC3
Yokohama Advan A052

Yokos are definately the fastests, but only last a few laps and don't wear out very quickly especially on heavy cars

Reactions: impastu
I think there will be many other 3rd party BBKs with similar or better performance and reliability that will be much more cost effective.

Not disagreeing with you, but at least currently, this price seems pretty competitive with what's available (well, not really available, but you could pre-order it). The RB CCB kit is $17k and doesn't include a replacement rear caliper, or installation. (420/390) If Tesla includes installation in the $20k it's probably worth the difference in price, IMO. Tesla is 410/410.

EDIT: I also know the RB BBK kit (420) will clear my winter SV 104s. Presumably (caliper dependent) the Tesla 410 rotors will also fit.

Reactions: wenkan and impastu