Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Plaid Brakes Are Terrible!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just an update for anyone waiting - our 400mm BBK is still in stock and shipping same day, our 380mm stock diameter front rotors are now in stock as well, and the rear rotor backorders are dropshipping this week, with the rest of the production run finishing up in the next few weeks. We rushed out the backorders because some of these customers were waiting for the full set before installing!
I'm going to wait until Feb 28 on Unplugged. If I still get a "blame covid" story from them, I'm cancelling and coming for yours!

Reactions: juanmedina
Just in case anyone was on the fence, the pre-order is ending on the rear rotors today since we have shipped all of the pre-orders now! We will list them as "in-stock" on our site in around 2 weeks after they are checked in the warehouse, then we can offer next-day shipping. Thanks for your support guys! The MC braces are in stock as well and you can check out a good installation video here by one of our customers, Brian from i1Tesla!

Just in case anyone was on the fence, the pre-order is ending on the rear rotors today since we have shipped all of the pre-orders now! We will list them as "in-stock" on our site in around 2 weeks after they are checked in the warehouse, then we can offer next-day shipping. Thanks for your support guys! The MC braces are in stock as well and you can check out a good installation video here by one of our customers, Brian from i1Tesla!

What are you offering/recommending for pads with the 2 piece rears and the Big Fella BBK?

I DM’d you. Need a set now that my unplugged perf order has been cancelled and refunded

I see Girodisc now has front rotors for the Plaid at $900 a set. I've not used Girodisc and was wondering if (1) anyone has tried the Plaid units or (2) if anyone has experience with Girodisc in general?

I'm specifically thinking these (and I am not affiliated with BB or Girodisc)

Reactions: impastu
I see Girodisc now has front rotors for the Plaid at $900 a set. I've not used Girodisc and was wondering if (1) anyone has tried the Plaid units or (2) if anyone has experience with Girodisc in general?

umm... theyre showing on the buybrakes website as 355/32 brakes... thats not the front rotor size for the 2021 S

the mountainpass rotors are made by girodisc. I have a set (fronts and rears) on order and hopefully should be getting them soon.

edit - These are the droids youre looking for!

Last edited:

What do you think about the unplugged performance rotors vs those. They are half the price.

Edit: are you sure those are the plaid rotors because the size description in incorrect they say 355x32 vs 380x32?

Yeah I am still waiting for unplugged ones lol but my patience is running low

Last edited:
What do you think about the unplugged performance rotors vs those. They are half the price.
Unplugged hasn't delivered a single rotor for the plaid yet (the non carbon ones). They just sell it on their website and then tell you its going to take a while because "COVID". I have been pissed at their behavior since early december when i ordered a full set only to be told in Late Feb that it was another 6 weeks minimum because "COVID".

So i cancelled the Unplugged order and went with MountainPass because "not COVID"

edit - incidentally, today is the 3 month anniversary of my Unplugged order. I think i was the first or second one to order them

Last edited:
Unplugged hasn't delivered a single rotor for the plaid yet (the non carbon ones). They just sell it on their website and then tell you its going to take a while because "COVID". I have been pissed at their behavior since early december when i ordered a full set only to be told in Late Feb that it was another 6 weeks minimum because "COVID".

So i cancelled the Unplugged order and went with MountainPass because "not COVID"

The 400mm rotors from MPP will not fit my forged 19" wheels I think. I wanted to get the Unplugged ones since they have a larger annulus and a calculated rotor size of 408mm with big weight savings. I ordered the rotors on December 18th lol.

Last edited:
The 410mm rotors from MPP will not fit my forged 19" wheels I think. I wanted to get the Unplugged ones since they have a larger annulus and a calculated rotor size of 408mm with big weight savings. I ordered the rotors on December 18th lol.
The larger annulus is exactly why I wanted the unplugged rotors as well. Love that PFC design with no bolts too. However I see issues with the Unplugged supply chain. They dont make their own rotors and are at PFC's mercy. Giro makes their own, so does RacingBrake.

Did you know you cant use any other brake pad with those larger annulus unplugged rotors? I'm only going to consider them in the future if i have issues with the Giros - which I suspect I wont... the G-loc GS-1 or R6 compound should be plenty of stopping power on the oem sized giros.

allright... I ordered the g-loc brake pads with the GS-1 compound. They're going to make a set for me - about a week ... The part numbers from g-loc are GPX-191 for the fronts, GPX-192 for the rears.

I told them to make a few more as they may have some more orders :)

The larger annulus is exactly why I wanted the unplugged rotors as well. Love that PFC design with no bolts too. However I see issues with the Unplugged supply chain. They dont make their own rotors and are at PFC's mercy. Giro makes their own, so does RacingBrake.

Did you know you cant use any other brake pad with those larger annulus unplugged rotors? I'm only going to consider them in the future if i have issues with the Giros - which I suspect I wont... the G-loc GS-1 or R6 compound should be plenty of stopping power on the oem sized giros.

Yeah I know I can only use their pads but I assume the pad will last around 3 years the time that I will probably keep my car for lol on the rear I am staying with the stock rotors.

Reactions: MFrunkerOG