Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Plaid huge depreciation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OP purchased his car at retail price. Not unexpected that selling it at Wholesale (Caravan) would net him a lower price.

Best way to reduce your depreciation would be to sell at used retail to a private buyer.

Many people recently were able to sell their used Tesla for more than their original MSRP. This was mostly due to constraint in supple, plus the recent increase in most all car pricing.

Perhaps OP had unreasonable expectations due to these reports. Used cars (of all manufacturers) are becoming more available and pricing is softening as a result.

Reactions: Ciaopec and bhzmark
Tesla gave me $128,300 for my 2021 Plaid S 21" FSD on June 30th. Since then the prices went down hill.
Yes. You can get an MSP same day in California. I was charging at a supercharger that happens to be at a Tesla center in Pleasanton, CA and there was a brand new white 2022 MSP ready to be driven off the lot. Everyone that really wanted it early had to deal with supply but now it has caught up to demand and you will not get close to MSRP. I've seen members sell their 2021 MSP for a 2022 just for new taillights, headlights, and swivel screen and said they didn't lose much. I'm not so sure you can pull that off now.

Look any trade in or cash offer from Carvana, a dealer is always absolutely low. They’ll buy it for the wholesale value and market it for the retail price.

Three years ago CarMax offered me $15k for my 91 NSX. I sold it later in a private trade for $31k. It will be no different for any other car. They’re always low. If you don’t want the hassle of selling it yourself you give the money you could have made to someone else. Carvana has to make money and they can’t buy your car for anything near the value.. This is not an investment. It’s a depreciating asset.

Reactions: Propofoln
Is it a "Plaid" thing for such a drop in value?

I just traded in a 21 MYP with 17k for 70k. Got a 21 MSLR, FSD, and 12k on it for 104k. Was offered 97k via Tesla for it.
People prefer new cars versus used. There are new Plaids available for delivery today so used cars are going to be cheaper.

You cannot buy a Model Y without 6+ months delay so used Model Ys are at a premium. When Tesla catches up with demand and you can buy a Model Y with no delay, used Model Ys will drop in value similarly.

People prefer new cars versus used. There are new Plaids available for delivery today so used cars are going to be cheaper.

You cannot buy a Model Y without 6+ months delay so used Model Ys are at a premium. When Tesla catches up with demand and you can buy a Model Y with no delay, used Model Ys will drop in value similarly.

Absolutely. Makes sense. Not hard logic and applies to literally every product on earth just about.

Reactions: bhzmark
For what it's worth, I've heard Model X inventory is starting to creep up too and Tesla is encouraging Model X LR buyers to switch to the Plaid and even giving discounts.

Expect very soon the prices on used Model X Plaids to follow the Model S very soon. Tesla has saturated the premium $140k+ market.

Screen Shot 2022-08-23 at 3.40.52 PM.png

Just pulled up my Vehicle order agreement from back in May of last year and wow have prices gone up. I also had to pay 9% CA sales tax on top :mad:

Not sure what it looks like yet as its still being transported to a local Tesla location. I thought the same thing with the price. Hoping I can pick it up this weekend and then I'll report back. Fingers crossed it has 4 wheels and the interior still. 😄

So excited!!!
That’s a sensational price. Well done. Hopefully it wasn’t my buyback. 😂 (Don’t worry, it’s not!)

Did it have all the door? All the motors? That price is too good!

Reactions: byeLT4 and WilliamG