Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Premium Center Console - Only in Black

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went in for the install today of a piano black console. I have a new leased S and told them I would like to be able to take the console out at the end of the lease without damage to the existing unit. They were able to do this by not installing the mounting screws. You could easily mount the console yourself this way. I paid cash for it so why give it away at the end of the lease. I had also bought a sheet of 3M stick-on carbon.......cut a piece and applied it to the lid........beautiful. Now waiting for a gray rear console if I can ever get an order in.

Got my piano black console installed last week and today I wrapped it to match the carbon fiber decor. I bought this wrap from Amazon for $8:

Amazon.com: SimCarbon 3D Carbon Fiber Vinyl Film Wrap BLACK 12 Sheet: Automotive

I measured it out to be 19.6cm x 13.6cm which allows the front lip to be wrapped, and the rear lip to stop right around the transition to black plastic. Maybe 19.7cm or 19.8cm would have been better, but 19.6cm seemed to be just about right. Used a paper cutter to get it exact.

Took a couple tries to line it up. Luckily the wrap is flexible enough that you can probably tweak the edges of it 1mm or so in any direction just by peeling back about half way then exerting some directional force when re-adhering.

I think it turned out pretty good. I'd say 90% the look of the real carbon fiber. You really only notice it's wrap if you're looking at it up close. The real carbon fiber is smoother, but this wrap is more textured.

IMG_5214.jpg
IMG_5215.jpg
IMG_5216.jpg

What does the carbon fiber wrap look like when the door is open. My doors are always open so I don't really notice the piano black finish so much. I would prefer if it were carbon fiber to match the car though. Also I think the quality and installation are solid. I had read some comments here about it that had me nervous, but am very glad I got it. Not sure where my "stuff" would go if I didn't. With the acceleration of this car, you can't have loose items laying around.

What does the carbon fiber wrap look like when the door is open. My doors are always open so I don't really notice the piano black finish so much. I would prefer if it were carbon fiber to match the car though. Also I think the quality and installation are solid. I had read some comments here about it that had me nervous, but am very glad I got it. Not sure where my "stuff" would go if I didn't. With the acceleration of this car, you can't have loose items laying around.
Could one add a CF skin to the inside of the door panel as well? That would be cool, especially for those who leave the door open.

What I like about the lack of a center console, is how meticulous I have been in keeping my "stuff" to a minimum. I am always working to make it look neat. When I sold my BMW after 10 years, I cleaned it out only to find seemingly endless amounts of items and junk that accumulated for no good reason. I am concerned that I will now lose my motivation, and the console will rapidly get filled like the junk drawer in my house. Before anyone asks, no, I am still keeping my obeche matte console. :wink:

Got my piano black console installed last week and today I wrapped it to match the carbon fiber decor. I bought this wrap from Amazon for $8:

Amazon.com: SimCarbon 3D Carbon Fiber Vinyl Film Wrap BLACK 12 Sheet: Automotive

I measured it out to be 19.6cm x 13.6cm which allows the front lip to be wrapped, and the rear lip to stop right around the transition to black plastic. Maybe 19.7cm or 19.8cm would have been better, but 19.6cm seemed to be just about right. Used a paper cutter to get it exact.

Took a couple tries to line it up. Luckily the wrap is flexible enough that you can probably tweak the edges of it 1mm or so in any direction just by peeling back about half way then exerting some directional force when re-adhering.

I think it turned out pretty good. I'd say 90% the look of the real carbon fiber. You really only notice it's wrap if you're looking at it up close. The real carbon fiber is smoother, but this wrap is more textured.

View attachment 85293View attachment 85294View attachment 85295
Great job and looks perfect!

There's some great news for the thousands of us who were on the waiting list for center consoles in colors other than piano black when Tesla pulled the plug after promising them to us because they couldn't figure out how to make them. No, Tesla hasn't suddenly figured out the apparently unsolvable complexities involved with molding plastic. But luckily for us, they have successfully added some great toys to the Tesla store:

1:18 Scale Diecast P85 Model S now in Tesla Store

It's wonderful to see Tesla focusing on what's really important.

Hi.
First post--great forum. Don't have car yet, just doing research and 'due diligence.'

Has anyone installed the piano black in a car with the obeche wood but just left the console as is? I realize they don't match but seems like it is actually such a small area that has the piano black maybe not very noticable (especially with black interior)?

Yes, a number of people have. If you intend to keep your phone stored there with the door open, it is barely noticeable. For me, I never intend to keep that door open, so I was not happy with the idea of it at all. At the same time, it is simply black, so there is no harsh contrast.

There's some great news for the thousands of us who were on the waiting list for center consoles in colors other than piano black when Tesla pulled the plug after promising them to us because they couldn't figure out how to make them. No, Tesla hasn't suddenly figured out the apparently unsolvable complexities involved with molding plastic. But luckily for us, they have successfully added some great toys to the Tesla store:

1:18 Scale Diecast P85 Model S now in Tesla Store

It's wonderful to see Tesla focusing on what's really important.

Maybe someone can adapt the model car and turn it into a console. Can you fit a cup of coffee in the model frunk? lol

Hi.
First post--great forum. Don't have car yet, just doing research and 'due diligence.'

Has anyone installed the piano black in a car with the obeche wood but just left the console as is? I realize they don't match but seems like it is actually such a small area that has the piano black maybe not very noticable (especially with black interior)?

Yes, a number of people have. If you intend to keep your phone stored there with the door open, it is barely noticeable. For me, I never intend to keep that door open, so I was not happy with the idea of it at all. At the same time, it is simply black, so there is no harsh contrast.

I have installed the Piano Black console in my interior with grey leather seats and obeche matte. 4SUPER9 is correct that with the door open, the finish on the console isn't noticeable. That being said, I didn't buy the console to keep that door open. In my situation, my wife uses an iPhone and I use an android phone. She drives the car more than I do, so I went with the lightning adapter for the console dock. I generally don't need to charge my phone while driving, which means I can usually keep the console door closed. The Piano Black bothers me every time I see it. It's the only thing in my car with such a high gloss factor, and it matches almost nothing in my car's interior. (As I posted somewhere before, it does match the tiny part on the gear selector, which is piano black on all cars.) I personally think it looks ridiculous, and the whole situation frustrates the hell out of me.

Others may not be bothered by the mismatch. I think it really depends on what things bother you and what things don't.

Hi.

I've got matte obeche and tan interior. Just ordered it. Can post photos after I install. My thought is that it will blend in with the black carpets especially if door is open. Hope I am right!

I couldn't find a photo of this combo on the forum, but there have been hundreds of posts on this topic. If anyone has such a photo, please post it!

Hi.

I have an obeche matte interior with all black leather, and at least to me, the piano black console looks okay in the interior. Granted, I would prefer that it matched my obeche matte interior, but overall I am still satisfied with it.

Wow has anyone read this review? Just found it today. Premium Center Console - 2013 Tesla Model S Long-Term Road Test

Can't tell from that picture if his friend had Matte Obeche or Obeche Gloss, though it looks more like gloss. I didn't think any of the non-piano black finishes had been delivered before the recent fiasco. If his friend had Matte Obeche, I'd happily have purchased it from him in the past few weeks (though not then.) Heck--if Tesla still has it floating around, I'd buy the used one!

Got my piano black installed and the glossy part had lots of fine scratch and crazing. I'm sure they saw it but still installed it. Lucky I noticed it when I drove off and saw the sun reflecting off the glossy part. Doubled back and showed the service advisor and he agreed it was scratched up and would order me another one. Another month wait I guess. What a waste of time. Check your console before they install it, unless you want it that bad.

Had my center console installed by a Ranger a few weeks ago and noticed that you can grab it and shift it a bit side-to-side. I had read some where on here previously that this meant it wasn't installed correctly. Does anyone know what they do to fix it?