Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's interesting that they aren't increasing kWh from 100. It may be some combination of 1) Elon's thinking that increasing range further is now at a point of diminishing returns with respect to growing unit demand; and 2) being starved for batteries for other applications, either power walls or the M3 ramp (assuming capacity to manufacture the two battery form factors is fungible).

There is physically no more room for cells without a major and costly redesign of the entire pack architecture. That’s basically why.
I see your point, though what I had in mind was an improvement through battery chemistry. How long has it been since the 100 pack was introduced? At least a couple years? The curve for battery performance from chemistry must be flatter than I thought.

• Informative
Reactions: Vitaman
What loyalty program?

"We also want to emphasize the critical impact each of our early Tesla owners has had on advancing our mission, so as a thank you, all existing Model S and Model X owners who wish to purchase a new Model S or Model X Performance car will get the Ludicrous Mode upgrade, a $20,000 value, at no additional charge."

Reactions: FlatSix911
Tesla announcement: The Longest-Range Electric Vehicle Now Goes Even Farther

Still not 500 miles, though. But I am hopeful of what's to comElater.

(duplicate post)
Well they squeezed out over 10% with the same batteries, not to shabby, if they are ever able to get the claimed min 20% improvement by getting the Maxwell drycell batteries (big if as of now) then they are up to almost 450 miles without any other improvements, Maxwell claims they see a path to a much higher density but have already achieved a 20% increase with double the life so while encouraging we will have to see if the merger goes through for one and if they can deliver

• Love
Reactions: Alset4S
more likely Model 3 motor up front (for efficiency) and induction at back (more power) and unlikely they would touch the motors without changing the battery too. The charging rate differential to the M3 is probably the most important thing to address first.

More Efficient Design All Model S and X vehicles now benefit from Tesla’s latest generation of drive unit technology, which combines an optimized permanent magnet synchronous reluctance motor, silicon carbide power electronics, and improved lubrication, cooling, bearings, and gear designs to achieve greater than 93% efficiency. Pairing a permanent magnet motor in the front with an induction motor in the rear enables unparalleled range and performance at all times. The net effect is a more than 10% improvement in range, with efficiency improvements in both directions as energy flows out of the battery during acceleration and back into the battery through regenerative braking. In addition to adding range, power and torque increases significantly across all Model S and Model X variants, improving 0-60 mph times for our Long Range and Standard Range models.

@MP3Mike - a misplaced Disagree i think - should have put a beer on that one ;)

Great to see all the improvements nonetheless, even if I still think Tesla may struggle with people hanging on for an interior refresh. I'm not one to criticise Elon, but imho he really does need to control leaking of such forthcoming updates it is hugely damaging to the business by causing potential purchasers to defer. Even the million mile battery next year comment at the tech conference was misplaced imho.

Reactions: Olle and MP3Mike
Status
Not open for further replies.