Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It might just be a powertrain switch, but using older cars to publicly mule test a brand new car is standard automotive procedure. For example Ferrari's Enzo track mule looked nothing like an enzo, it was a 348 with some obvious modifications
This Is The Incredible Ferrari Enzo Prototype

The common practice is to mask a totally new car with what looks like a tweaked revision of an older car. As long as the drivetrain produces usable test results it is a successful mule test even though the production car won't be anything like it.

Reactions: Tes La Ferrari
Why would they even do that after they have shown the new body design that they are testing? And of course he flat out said it would be in production before the end of next year:

My post was in reference to whether the Plaid S is a next gen or present gen with a new powertrain. Again, if its being delivered this time next year, its just a powertrain swap, same car and new some new lights. The time frame has slipped from the summertime to the fall.

Tesla Model S Plaid variant with 3 motors to begin production Q4 2020

We will see what is delivered.

It might just be a powertrain switch, but using older cars to publicly mule test a brand new car is standard automotive procedure. For example Ferrari's Enzo track mule looked nothing like an enzo, it was a 348 with some obvious modifications
This Is The Incredible Ferrari Enzo Prototype

The common practice is to mask a totally new car with what looks like a tweaked revision of an older car. As long as the drivetrain produces usable test results it is a successful mule test even though the production car won't be anything like it.

True, but if its a new gen or design, we would be seeing prototypes by now, which would Osbourne the present S sales.

@GreentheOnly with more updates on the latest hacked firmware findings..

Tesla update leaks some upcoming changes for Model S, Model X
What are Your estimates towards when these changes will take place, regarding past announcements like this?
In my case we have ordered an X which delivery I intentiously postponed to Q2/2020.
For me the battery and charging issue is most important, that is the thing where I feel the S/X ist most behind 3/Y - An upgrade in battery type (to the 3/Y one) and charging speed would let me wait.

If the interior upgrade will come out it is a kind of speculative point to me, Elon told in Sep. 2019 about that no major changes will be applied to S/X... interior upgrade somehow is in my opinion a major upgrade/change.

Concerning QI charging I don´t care, I would rather say that it is nicer to have the phone fixed with a connector like the lightning port, gives the item more stability. In my actual car I have a QI charger, and I have seen my phone flying around in curves and while braking hard.

• Helpful
Reactions: VValleyEV
Tesla could have fished the cable to run the Qi induction coil through a slightly bigger hinge and still kept it in the back side of the flip up part when closed. That way you could still use either the old wired connector or the adjustable side holder rails.

The new suspension could be the Maxwell dynamically adaptive coils. Some thought that Tesla would wait to tie in ultracapacitors into a subsystem with the brake regen for those.

But a new charge port type?

Last edited:
Reactions: sw1008
Some thought that Tesla would wait to tie in ultracapacitors into a subsystem with the brake regen for those.

I think it was the third row podcast where Elon mentions that they’re not going to use super capacitors at all in their vehicles. So it seems that speculation is dead in the water. And since the capacitor is weighs more and take up more space than their standard battery, it seems highly unlikely. Even though I really like the theory of regen efficiency using them.

What are Your estimates towards when these changes will take place, regarding past announcements like this?
I think most of the smaller changes will take place by second quarter. As far as the battery technology and the connector tape, who knows? I sure hope they indeed change that battery pack soon. I think it’s far overdue. I’m hoping they don’t wait until the tri-motor versions to implement.

Reactions: Jabbahop
Additional speculation posted on Electrek... Tesla leaks several new hardware updates in code: battery packs, suspension, and more - Electrek

upload_2020-1-25_21-15-49.png

Wonder where it fits in the center console? I have a Taptes wireless charger in the center console of my 2020 Raven and it works very well. Will be interested to see how the Tesla unit differs and if it’s any better than what I have in my car.
Did the same with my car. The charger is well made, makes the center console space much more useful and looks great

Reactions: gbailey
Wonder where it fits in the center console? I have a Taptes wireless charger in the center console of my 2020 Raven and it works very well. Will be interested to see how the Tesla unit differs and if it’s any better than what I have in my car.
I made a wireless charger in the stock location where a phone sits. I opened it up and found a qi pad the fit inside it. Wondering if they will put one there.

Reactions: Krash and gbailey
Status
Not open for further replies.