Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i can see a dual layer battery platform in the future. Keep same size car pretty much but double up the batteries like 2 layers. Of course given that tech advances too to allow for more charge/power per battery. just a thought. If it did get say 500 mi on a full charge noone would drive an ICE. I mean why? Plug in at home or sc at night or on lunch or???.
400 mi is likely more realistic even 350

double up the batteries like 2 layers
It'd certainly look badass
bb.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: ishareit
@PrGrPa, why half the payment?

That’s roughly what the JLR finance calculator said when I played with it. ~£70,000 Velar with £11K down was about £1,000/month. Model S was about £540.

There’s a difference in the Indicative APRs - 1.5% vs about 6%. This kind of difference might not carry over to JLRs I-Pace though. Comparing a model S to a Velar is a bit of an apples vs oranges comparison too.

Exactly, in fact I am inclined to believe that a larger newer chemistry pack is directly related to faster charging/v3 supercharger. They can't simply charge our packs faster. Tesla needs to release a new pack and I am hoping that is what happens at the reveal of the semi in November.
If Tesla designed and released a new battery pack, do you see removing your current one and bolting on the new one?
For me, I would consider changing the entire car for new Autopilot hardware, and getting a new battery then....and as long as the battery can get me between supercharges during infrequent road trips, I'm at sweet spot.

i can see a dual layer battery platform in the future. Keep same size car pretty much but double up the batteries like 2 layers. Of course given that tech advances too to allow for more charge/power per battery. just a thought. If it did get say 500 mi on a full charge noone would drive an ICE. I mean why? Plug in at home or sc at night or on lunch or???.

400 mi is likely more realistic even 350
The Model S battery pack already weighs 1200-1300 lbs, and costs Tesla something like $15-20K. I'm not sure doubling it and turning the Model S into 'three tons of fun' is the way to go there. :(

That said, yeah, would be nice if even the base model had 300+ miles of range. And I'm sure that some of the would-be 'Tesla-killer' EVs that'll start showing up in droves 2-3 years from now will take the 'stuff it full of batteries' approach, and use their marketing to trumpet any range edge they can get over the competing Tesla offering.

Even if doing so results in a car that's very heavy, expensive, and has less interior room. :oops:

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
The Model S battery pack already weighs 1200-1300 lbs, and costs Tesla something like $15-20K. I'm not sure doubling it and turning the Model S into 'three tons of fun' is the way to go there. :(

That said, yeah, would be nice if even the base model had 300+ miles of range. And I'm sure that some of the would-be 'Tesla-killer' EVs that'll start showing up in droves 2-3 years from now will take the 'stuff it full of batteries' approach, and use their marketing to trumpet any range edge they can get over the competing Tesla offering.

Even if doing so results in a car that's very heavy, expensive, and has less interior room. :oops:

There are problems with putting in a double layer of batteries. The modules currently used are 3 inches high. The Model S is already tight on headroom. If they made the headroom any less, the car would be limited to people on the short side. If they went down, they would have to raise the suspension and the aerodynamics of the car would be terrible. It would also suffer in handling with both the weight and shifted center of gravity. The added weight would require a heavier suspension and beefier tires. The poorer aerodynamics with the larger tires would make the car a lot noisier.

It is possible the large pack can go to around 120 KWH when they start using the 2170s. That would give the S 120D around 400 miles EPA range.

I think they will go from the 75D to 85D soon. It will be cheaper to manufacture (only one module for all) and it may seem like the 58->100 isn't much of a gap, the gap between the small and large battery was 15 KWH when they had the 75 and 90. They'd just be adding 10 KWH to each.

Reactions: FutureShock
Under the Model 3 topic here on TMC there have been some calculation that founds out that if you take 80,5 kWh wish EPA says and that there is 4466 cells of the 2170 format and calculate the Wh per volume it’s the same as the 18650 cells Tesla use in the existing 100 kWh pack for Model S and X. So the only benefit you get with switchInt to 2170 cells is that they are 8% higher and therefore should be able to store 110 kWh if the existing pack can store 102 kWh. This is of course under the circumstances that Tesla can redesign the battery pack so that it can fit 8% higher cells and still have the same dimensions on the outside.

There are problems with putting in a double layer of batteries. The modules currently used are 3 inches high. The Model S is already tight on headroom. If they made the headroom any less, the car would be limited to people on the short side. If they went down, they would have to raise the suspension and the aerodynamics of the car would be terrible. It would also suffer in handling with both the weight and shifted center of gravity. The added weight would require a heavier suspension and beefier tires. The poorer aerodynamics with the larger tires would make the car a lot noisier.

It is possible the large pack can go to around 120 KWH when they start using the 2170s. That would give the S 120D around 400 miles EPA range.

I think they will go from the 75D to 85D soon. It will be cheaper to manufacture (only one module for all) and it may seem like the 58->100 isn't much of a gap, the gap between the small and large battery was 15 KWH when they had the 75 and 90. They'd just be adding 10 KWH to each.
this sound plausible. The 60 and 75 models were to get people(masses) into a tesla and fund the company...it worked...now the 3 is coming and will likely replace the 60/75 tesla car in price and ability....even the m3lr will likely get better range then the 75d so tesla knows that it needs to seperate the m3 from 3 is a much bigger way- RANGE. Thats ultimately what stops people from going ev-the range concept. The sportiness and tech is already there(the roadster coming will suck in sports car guys if they can make is uber faster and good range)

The 3 will kill most s model sales because of price point...lets face it..on.y a few people can drop 80-140k on a new car..ev or ICE so tesla needs to bet the 30-50k people sucked in in a big way because thats where the $$$ is in the long run. Sure they sell some p models and 100 models (many used) but their real market is the average 30-70k a year folks in the end. Doctors/lawyers/ceo's ect are a very slim percent even on this forum and can afford the roadsters/p100l models. Tesla already has them. No way will they downgrade to a m3...they likely will buy a m3 for the wife or kids or just to have it because they can..Great for tesla.
The s really needs to be much farther away from the m3 in terms of style-range-options and comfort..otherwise why really bother with the s??? sure..more trunk space...a little wider...but in the end the 3 as it is now actually have newer tech then the s(faster screen-better resolution) ...the s just meeds more pizaz to sell more and range,

• Disagree
Reactions: RobStark
The source for the IPace, is pretty strong. It's no secret JLR have invested heavily in their "TouchPro Duo" system and are looking to roll if out to all their premium stuff. (The new Range Rover just announced carries it too.)

I know many Tesla owners simply tune out to the broader competition, but it's worth looking at this (and yes please excuse the fact it's an ICE)

Range Rover Velar: it's actually a top end bachelor pad | British GQ

Things I really wish Tesla pay attention to are the WiFi hot spot, the HUD and the CarPlay integration. (I know it's silly but I actually like the colour changing mood lighting too, even if it is a bit of a gimmick). The fact it can also play movies / TV, will finally put to bed that annoying question I always get from people asking me about the Model S's touch screen, even if I'd rarely use it.

In terms of fence sitting, I'm basically in a holding pattern up until my Model S comes out of warranty in July '18 (mine has been problematic to say the least, and I dare not keep it out of warranty).

The current shortlist is the IPace (I have a deposit), but I wouldn't rule out a Model S "2.0" if it comes somewhere near close (and doesn't become silly expensive in the process). I'd also consider an eTron (but have serious doubts it will arrive on time to RHD markets). The X is ruled out completely (I just am not a fan of the styling).

I guess the real point is unlike 4 years ago, where the choice of luxury 200+ mile BEVs was basically one car, come renewal I'll be spoilt for choice (well if 3/4 is spoilt ;) )

A few weeks ago my wife took delivery of a new Range Rover Autobiography. I was shocked at how far competitive automotive electronics has come. I'll just focus on one feature. The car has several external cameras, and is able to seamlessly stitch their views together into a simulated overhead picture of the car's surroundings. It can do this in real time so you can watch your maneuvers as if from a drone hovering overhead. The car itself is a CGI image. In the picture below, you can see my red P85D charging next to the new Rover in our garage.

IMG_2915.jpg

This model Range Rover is comparably priced to the kind of Tesla it's sitting next to, but in terms of usability and stability, its consumer-facing electronics blows away what Tesla now offers, except for the size of the map on the Model S screen (although the Rover map shows real-time traffic, just like Tesla's). The Autobiography will even use it's cameras and intelligence to back a horse trailer exactly where you want it to go, which is something this driver finds difficult to do! All of this functionality has the fingerprints of MobilEye all over it.

My point is that I fear Tesla's monomaniacal focus on trying to crack automated driving has led it to ignore a lot of functionalities that are becoming competitive check-off items against other high-end car brands. And to return to the original topic of this thread, please don't even get me started on the quality of the Autobiography interior (again, for the same price as a P100D) which argues for Tesla's need to upgrade its offering soon. While Tesla says "no, you can't have leather," Rover says "would you like the Autobiography ceiling to be an alcantara-equivalent, or would you like it (where it is not panorama glass) to be entirely covered with beautifully-stitched soft leather like the rest of the upholstery, no extra charge (which is to say for a price equivalent to a P100D)" We chose the leather.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.