Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
^^^^ Yep, I am hoping for the same. Though Rivian is aiming more to the end of 2020 or beginning of 2021 for deliveries so Tesla still has some time. But either way they need to make the X do 400+ miles to compete and bumping supercharging to ~175kW or better would be nice too. The Rivian SUV looks like a nice alternative to a nearly full size SUV. Now if someone can get a real 150kW+ charging network in place by then it will be an option.

--YAWN-- Everyone and their brother's cousin's uncle's sister is binging out a "Tesla Killer" or a "Real Tesla Competitor" in 2020 / 2021.

Don't get me wrong, I *love* competition... it helps the market grow (although sometimes in the wrong way), and inspires creative new designs. That said, I'll believe all these production claims when I see it. ;)

Tesla is the only one that is actually moving their feet to make enough batteries to make large numbers of EVs.
Pretty sure Nissan has sold more EVs than Tesla around the world. I'm also pretty sure Toyota has installed more kwh of battries then Tesla has ever pumped out. The notion that Tesla is the only company doing anything is laughable, every manufacturer sells some form of EV, just because they don't have a cult following means nothing. The manufacturers are making them available, if the public doesn't want to buy it, that's their choice.

No, but we’ve been hearing of Tesla killers since Tesla bleeped on the radar circa 2012
Well, Tesla wasn't exactly churning out tons of cars until 2016. And there have been hybrids for quite some time. I think the big companies wanted to see if EVs would really catch on before pouring billions into the tech. Now that Tesla has proven so, they all have vehicles in the works.

until charging stations become as ubiquitous as gas stations and as fast as fueling a gasser yes in the long road trip mode the gasser could be seen as better. in addition there is no EV that has the payload a F150 has.

As to gas stations, it's obvious that they make a huge profit selling gas, or they couldn't afford all that real estate and buildings and pumps -- on every street corner. The reason they build them four to an intersection is "competition", where they sell the exact same product, but put up a flashy sign, and advertise. Compare the price of putting gas in your F150 to charging your Tesla while you're at it, too. As to pickup payload, Elon is planning a pickup this coming year, as you well know.

Interesting you can't see that the benefits of EV ownership outweigh the points you make for the cheap Ford, such as needing to fuel up in 5 minutes, when most people spend longer than that while on trips, having to eat and use the restroom usually more often than once a day, spending 15 minutes to half an hour. Of course there are a few who try to do a Cannonball Run every trip, trying for cross country in 24 hours.

I expect your next complaint will be that EVs are too quiet and might run over a pedestrian because he won't hear it coming.

As to gas stations, it's obvious that they make a huge profit selling gas, or they couldn't afford all that real estate and buildings and pumps -- on every street corner. The reason they build them four to an intersection is "competition", where they sell the exact same product, but put up a flashy sign, and advertise. Compare the price of putting gas in your F150 to charging your Tesla while you're at it, too. As to pickup payload, Elon is planning a pickup this coming year, as you well know.

Interesting you can't see that the benefits of EV ownership outweigh the points you make for the cheap Ford, such as needing to fuel up in 5 minutes, when most people spend longer than that while on trips, having to eat and use the restroom usually more often than once a day, spending 15 minutes to half an hour. Of course there are a few who try to do a Cannonball Run every trip, trying for cross country in 24 hours.

I expect your next complaint will be that EVs are too quiet and might run over a pedestrian because he won't hear it coming.
Most of the profit from a gas station actually comes from in store sales. They build them 4 to an intersection because there's demand for 4 of them, if there wasn't they wouldn't be making profits to stay in business.

If funny you don't see the benefits of the "cheap Ford" when not everyone can afford a Tesla. even the M3 which may never see the light of day at 35K, $35,000 is a metric fuk ton of money to a lot of families.

People don't often use the rest room every 3 hours on a road trip. and it doesn't take half an hour to fill up with gas or use the restroom.

Pretty sure Nissan has sold more EVs than Tesla around the world. I'm also pretty sure Toyota has installed more kwh of battries then Tesla has ever pumped out. The notion that Tesla is the only company doing anything is laughable, every manufacturer sells some form of EV, just because they don't have a cult following means nothing. The manufacturers are making them available, if the public doesn't want to buy it, that's their choice.

From Q3 2015 to Q3 2018 Tesla delivered 361,933 cars. Nissan has delivered a little over 300,000 EVs. They hit 300K in January of this year and have sold about 20K this year so far. Every single Leaf has had a smaller battery than Tesla's smallest except the short lived 40KWH S, which actually had a 60KWH pack. Most Leafs have a 24 or 30 KWH pack.

Assuming around 380K total sales with an average pack size of 60KWH (the average is probably more than 70), you get 22.8 million KWH installed (22.8 GWH).

Toyota has sold a lot of Priuses, a bit over 4 million total. However, the pack for most of its history has been 1.3KWH and the plug in has a 4.4 KWH pack. 4 million cars with 1.3 KWH packs is 5.2 million KWH. Even if all the Priuses ever sold had the 4.4 KWH pack, it would just barely be flirting with the low end estimate for Tesla.

Tesla has also put all those cars on the road since 2007 and Toyota has been at it since 1997. Tesla will bury Toyota battery sales in the next year. Toyota has sold 24,836 Prius Prime in the US this year. Tesla sold more cars than that in the US in November. All with massively larger batteries than Toyota.

Mass producing long range EVs uses a staggering number of batteries.

You realize WHY people don’t want to buy other EVs? Because they look and drive like crap.

• Love
Reactions: Tiger
Well, Tesla wasn't exactly churning out tons of cars until 2016. And there have been hybrids for quite some time. I think the big companies wanted to see if EVs would really catch on before pouring billions into the tech. Now that Tesla has proven so, they all have vehicles in the works.
There you said it. Everyone else is playing catch-up.

Honestly I don’t expect anything decent from legacy manufacturers. Their ICE vehicle bring in more $$$. New EV startups is where it’s at. Too bad odds are against them.

• Love
Reactions: Tiger
Most of the profit from a gas station actually comes from in store sales. They build them 4 to an intersection because there's demand for 4 of them, if there wasn't they wouldn't be making profits to stay in business.

If funny you don't see the benefits of the "cheap Ford" when not everyone can afford a Tesla. even the M3 which may never see the light of day at 35K, $35,000 is a metric fuk ton of money to a lot of families.

People don't often use the rest room every 3 hours on a road trip. and it doesn't take half an hour to fill up with gas or use the restroom.

Last quote, promise. But have you looked at how much a Ford, Toyota, or Honda are nowadays? To get something decent you would need to spend 30k+.

Reactions: BulldogsRus

You are correct based on the specific model, not brand ... Top 5 Electric Cars Of All-Time: Cumulative Sales

Nissan LEAF is still far ahead of all the other plug-ins.
Thanks to its introduction very early on (December 2010), relatively high volume and sales worldwide, Nissan was able to put the LEAF at the forefront of all plug-ins. The advantage in cumulative sales is so high – over 375,000 were sold so far – that even several mistakes/problems or delays didn’t knock the LEAF out of its top spot yet.

The second best-selling electric car in the world is the Tesla Model Sover 253,000! Model S is doing superb, however it will never be mainstream like the Nissan LEAF.

From Q3 2015 to Q3 2018 Tesla delivered 361,933 cars. Nissan has delivered a little over 300,000 EVs. They hit 300K in January of this year and have sold about 20K this year so far. Every single Leaf has had a smaller battery than Tesla's smallest except the short lived 40KWH S, which actually had a 60KWH pack. Most Leafs have a 24 or 30 KWH pack.

Assuming around 380K total sales with an average pack size of 60KWH (the average is probably more than 70), you get 22.8 million KWH installed (22.8 GWH).

Toyota has sold a lot of Priuses, a bit over 4 million total. However, the pack for most of its history has been 1.3KWH and the plug in has a 4.4 KWH pack. 4 million cars with 1.3 KWH packs is 5.2 million KWH. Even if all the Priuses ever sold had the 4.4 KWH pack, it would just barely be flirting with the low end estimate for Tesla.

Tesla has also put all those cars on the road since 2007 and Toyota has been at it since 1997. Tesla will bury Toyota battery sales in the next year. Toyota has sold 24,836 Prius Prime in the US this year. Tesla sold more cars than that in the US in November. All with massively larger batteries than Toyota.

Mass producing long range EVs uses a staggering number of batteries.
Smarty pants with all your facts and stuff.

Wow! I can’t believe they’ve “only” sold 4mm Priuseseses?! They’re frequent sightings in PA (nothing like CA) and have been around for what seems like forever. Even here you can’t throw a flower without hitting one. Makes it weird to think that someday there might be 4mm 3s and Ys and ???? roaming around.

Wow! I can’t believe they’ve “only” sold 4mm Priuseseses?! They’re frequent sightings in PA (nothing like CA) and have been around for what seems like forever. Even here you can’t throw a flower without hitting one. Makes it weird to think that someday there might be 4mm 3s and Ys and ???? roaming around.
I know globally Toyota is around 12-14 million hybrids sold. 8 mil or so are the Prius.

Status
Not open for further replies.