Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with above that changes are due. Only past history has shown gradual smaller changes instead of a large one. I would think a drastic interior chanage would occur with a whole new model S (2019/2020) and in the interim we will continue to see updates on the same theme.
Full redesign? I’m not sure any auto company would spend the large $ in re-tooling all its design, compete interior style, parts and assembly knowing the entire car is due for a complete redesign within 2-2.5yrs. Mid cycle refresh? More likely as it is a more cost effective way to maintain the freshness of the product.

So far over the past 3-4 yrs, we have seen seats improve, door and dash materials improve, rear cup holders, new centre console, quieter cabin, new colours, new software etc. I could see materials improving, auto doors (model X), richer materials, OS9.0, maybe some new steering wheel etc as these again are cost-effective ways to refresh without a full re-design which would come with a whole new car design.

I agree. Dash upgrade, however, could be a big one that combines many upgrades up front and makes a big difference. (New looks, new trims, new computers, new camera, HUD...)

Battery could come separately, say, a quarter later.

I agree. Dash upgrade, however, could be a big one that combines many upgrades up front and makes a big difference. (New looks, new trims, new computers, new camera, HUD...)

Battery could come separately, say, a quarter later.

Again if the dash upgrade makes it cost effective for Tesla to apply now across all the 3 models then totally agree. If model S\X are assembled separately with their own unique line...it may not be.

They also have to consider the wow factor when the new full redesign comes. If they do too much too early in the current design, it will be difficult to achieve shock factor with a radical redesign.

A new dash hmmm... may be :)

Again if the dash upgrade makes it cost effective for Tesla to apply now across all the 3 models then totally agree. If model S\X are assembled separately with their own unique line...it may not be.

They also have to consider the wow factor when the new full redesign comes. If they do too much too early in the current design, it will be difficult to achieve shock factor with a radical redesign.

A new dash hmmm... may be :)

The thing why I believe in the new dash is that the big screen computer is long overdue and there are hints of the HUD, which might even replace the IC - possibly. Then there is the interior camera in Model 3... Any combination of these changes might easily include a dash re-design anyway, simply because new shapes and functionalities...

And new battery upgrade makes sense (though perhaps a few quarters later) because Gigafactory is ramping up 2170s. That's Teslas future...

Seeing as my car was built last week (UK car), i suspect a update is now about to happen immediately:rolleyes:

If you have a factory tour would you be able to detect any of these changes before they are announced? has anyone been for a tour recently?

• Funny
Reactions: WarpedOne
Seeing as my car was built last week (UK car), i suspect a update is now about to happen immediately:rolleyes:

If you have a factory tour would you be able to detect any of these changes before they are announced? has anyone been for a tour recently?

I suspect it varies, but my factory tour was very limited. We saw the vehicle and body sub-components only at stamping / body assembly. We didn't see motor/battery manufacturing, or anything after body in white.

The thing why I believe in the new dash is that the big screen computer is long overdue and there are hints of the HUD, which might even replace the IC - possibly. Then there is the interior camera in Model 3... Any combination of these changes might easily include a dash re-design anyway, simply because new shapes and functionalities...

And new battery upgrade makes sense (though perhaps a few quarters later) because Gigafactory is ramping up 2170s. That's Teslas future...

I’m curious where the hints of the HUD are coming from? My impression was that this was purely speculative consumer rumor regarding the Model 3

Reactions: Bebop

It would be tough to separate the dash redesign from a complete interior. The interior moldings have to mate with whatever isn't changed (doors and console), and they're unlikely to want to make the tooling twice... once for new dash, and then again later for the full interior. And you will need a consistent "design ethic". A new dash will require all (or most all) of the rest of the interior moldings to change as well.

I would love to see a new interior soon. But I'm doubting it until the model 3 ramp-up is further along. They've got all hands on deck with the M3, and can't spare manufacturing engineers / technicians to deal with the inevitable problems arising from a major change on the S/X line.

It would be tough to separate the dash redesign from a complete interior. The interior moldings have to mate with whatever isn't changed (doors and console), and they're unlikely to want to make the tooling twice... once for new dash, and then again later for the full interior. And you will need a consistent "design ethic". A new dash will require all (or most all) of the rest of the interior moldings to change as well.

I would love to see a new interior soon. But I'm doubting it until the model 3 ramp-up is further along. They've got all hands on deck with the M3, and can't spare manufacturing engineers / technicians to deal with the inevitable problems arising from a major change on the S/X line.

Yeah, but while a dish change might well mean new doors interior panels and new door trim, it does not have to mean new seats or the like. Dash and new door trim for example would easily work...

HUD is not happening anything soon.

EAP isn't even fully released 1 year later. FSD isn't even a thing yet. I don't know where people are getting the idea that a HUD is happening.

The hints have been posted many times. They are speculative of course. I'm not repeating them...

One logical idea is that if the "second screen" goes from IC to HUD in a dash update, they'd have to do the HUD from the start on Model S/X so as to not make it any less than it is now...

Another is, HUD's are very common and would benefit from Tesla's software approach... Tesla adding features in an interior refresh makes sense anyway.

Yeah, but while a dish change might well mean new doors interior panels and new door trim, it does not have to mean new seats or the like. Dash and new door trim for example would easily work...

I think, once you've started to go down that rabbit hole, you're committed and might as well do the whole thing.

You'd need to do the dash, front and rear doors, console together as a minimum. Those are the most complex bits, and the bulk of the work. Sure, you could retain the seats, headliner and trunk trim. But seats, as a outsourced bolt-ins, aren't likely to cause assembly line issues. And the other stuff is minor.

In some ways I'd like to see a dash-only update. But I just can't wrap my head around it. I think you're all or nothing.

The hints have been posted many times. They are speculative of course. I'm not repeating them...

One logical idea is that if the "second screen" goes from IC to HUD in a dash update, they'd have to do the HUD from the start on Model S/X so as to not make it any less than it is now...

Another is, HUD's are very common and would benefit from Tesla's software approach... Tesla adding features in an interior refresh makes sense anyway.

HUD is contrary to envisioning FSD. Opposed infact. I don’t see Tesla bothering to adopt a technology or convenience which does not advance their stated goals of Autonomous driving.

It also makes a lot of sense from a "design language" perspective. I suspect you'll see something that looks closer to the Model 3: the low wide dash; wide center screen; invisible vents. But that will be raised up with the addition of a HUD and some other interesting elements.

One other reason to think that this is a little ways off is the state of the M3 console software. It's still a WIP. And I don't expect that Tesla would want to release a "new interior" S with a reconfigured screen until the M3 screen has stabilized.

HUD is contrary to envisioning FSD. Opposed infact. I don’t see Tesla bothering to adopt a technology or convenience which does not advance their stated goals of Autonomous driving.

Actually, I'd claim the contrary.

A HUD is a perfect companion for Tesla's FSD ambitions. Perfect.

Why?

Because it serves two purposes:

1) It allows removal of the instrument cluster and taking the design language to Model 3 way. You don't need an instrument cluster with FSD, but you do need something in the meanwhile.

2) An augmented reality HUD (think most of the windshield as projected HUD) is a perfect companion to computer vision, because it can do stuff like highlight driving autonomous modes and present obstacle warnings superimposed and all kinds of things before we get to Level 5 driverless...

It also helps that a large HUD screen would be so well suited for Tesla's upgradeable software ambitions. A canvas on which to do great stuff later.

And when we do get to Level 5, the HUD can be one big cinema screen. :D

Navsarin said:
Perhaps. It seems like a stop gap measure which may not necessarily meet or coincide with the FSD line of thinking. Ie. why make a M3 dashboard so utterly scarce if not to limit or start to change the behaviour patterns of drivers into paying less attention to functions. Starting with a lack of specific dashboard console. Eventuslly requiring little to no driver input other than ‘take me here please’.

Agreed it’s a far off technology yet for level 5 FSD however I stil don’t see the company adopting conveniences which only serve to work against that eventually goal. Elon is a forward thinker...

But that's the thing. If this speculation is correct, then Model 3 just missed the HUD. It wasn't ready or cheap enough in time.

Because many things make sense, if you consider the chance that Model 3 actually was supposed to have a HUD...

Status
Not open for further replies.