Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Better not wait. I don't see imminent change happens before Model 3 production issue is resolved. Let alone the risk $7500 is gone if the new bill pass.

That's a pretty good point, but the last thing I want to do is rush in to buy a fairly expensive car and realise after a week that it wasn't what I was looking for. I'm fine if the tax credit expires and I pass on the car. I would consider it a huge chunk of money saved.

Reactions: gowthamn
I agree with most of the comments above. The model 3 is a better car taking into account the interior and updated technology. However many of the commentators keep referring to it being a 35 to 45 k car which it isn’t. To get all the bells and whistles that make a Tesla a Tesla you are going to spend just a shade under 60 k. And what you don’t get is AWD( yet), more space, more performance and a car that has most of its fit and finish issues resolved over the last few years. I think the price differential will be a bit better to take oncethe interior is upgraded, new tech is installed, and maybe a new battery option. Unfortunately that we will have to wait for 6 months give or take. I’m very happy with my P85D till then

IMO, they made the Model 3 too good of a value in comparison to the Model S.

Model 3LR - 44000
Model S75 RWD - 70000 (when it was available)

That's a differences of 26000 for more or less the same car. Sure you get more performance but you also lose more range. So in comparing a base model 3 to a base model s, the model 3 provides more value.

I think some people are missing the point. The model S is a bigger car.

I’ve been looking at model Ss for a while and had arranged to rent one for a long weekend in order to get my wife on board with the whole idea. At the end of the weekend she was impressed with the performance, the comfort and the looks.

The part of the weekend that actually changed her mind was right at the beginning. We pulled up alongside the rental S and she was helping me transfer all the bags and kid’s stuff across from our Passat Estate. I knew this would be the deal breaker for her and was actually amazed myself at how little space it took up in the back of the S. We didn’t even have to venture into the lower trunk, the side storage or the frunk. It all just fit. Easily.

I can say hand on heart now that if I had pulled up alongside a model 3 that weekend, there would be no Tesla on order. Which there is, a model S, a large family sedan with more luggage space than a Passat Estate.

I think the 3 is an amazing car and would like some of the features that it has to make it into the S. Hopefully before mine turns up in early March. If not so be it. I bought it because I’m fully on board with Elon and all the benefits the current car will bring to me and my family.

Just find it funny that people think having door pockets and coat hooks makes something more advance or more luxurious.

I thought that until I watched the two guys doing the 1 hour+ YouTube review. I was very impressed with all aspects of the car, it seems they’ve spent a long time poring over every design detail. Just hope they’ve nailed the build quality. I have to say it looks promising from what I’ve seen so far.

Reactions: Carl
Just find it funny that people think having door pockets and coat hooks makes something more advanced or more luxurious.
And yet, if you're shelling out $80,000+ for a car, wouldn't you expect all of those things (plus most any other niggling details besides) to have already been thought through and taken care of, so that they're a complete non-issue to begin with?

Is it really that hard/too much expect? :oops:

Different strokes for different folks. If you have a family and need ++storage, then the S/X are for you. If there are only two of you (usually) then the 3 is a better size. In EU I expect 3's smaller size will be a benefit, having recently driven on French and English (smaller) roads. Some of us do not want all the bells and whistles and the $35k Model 3 will suit fine. Although I admit the AWD and PUP are attractive, not to mention EAP and eventually FSD.

And yet, if you're shelling out $80,000+ for a car, wouldn't you expect all of those things (plus most any other niggling details besides) to have already been thought through and taken care of, so that they're a complete non-issue to begin with?

I'm honestly surprised that people care about these at all. All of my past cars have had coat hooks and door pockets, and I have not used them once. Door pockets are just an area for my passengers to leave trash, and putting something on a coat hook just blocks my mirrors and blind spots.

Don’t know. I think everything in this car was done for a reason both including and excluding Things. I personally hate door pockets and love the way the inside of the door looks. But I get people wanting these things but I don’t think these things make this an awful car. I love the simple interior of the model S without all the knobs and buttons in German cars, which are nice don’t get me wrong. i don’t love the dash of the model 3 but maybe in person it will be better than I expect.

• Disagree
Reactions: gowthamn and b team
I'm honestly surprised that people care about these at all. All of my past cars have had coat hooks and door pockets, and I have not used them once. Door pockets are just an area for my passengers to leave trash, and putting something on a coat hook just blocks my mirrors and blind spots.
Personal anecdotes are... anecdotal. Obviously some ppl do care about interior details. I even ran a poll in another thread asking fence-sitters 'What improvements would it take for you to buy a Model S?'.

Out of the 12 poll choices, an improved interior came in a very close second to a price cut:

[Poll] For the Fence-Sitters... What's the #1 Change/Improvement That'd Get You To Buy A Model S?...

And yep, if you're curious, I have used the coat hooks and door pockets in my current vehicle. It's not an extremely rare, unprecedented event, like a Bigfoot sighting. ;)

My question is, "Hey Elon... is it really that hard to include such things, if you see 'em even on econoboxes?"

But to be fair, an interior refresh is allegedly coming in mid-2018. Let's see if many/any of the complaints get addressed then.

Last edited:
Reactions: gowthamn
I do think Tesla will be gradually lowering the price of the Model S. They have to do it slowly or current owners would howl.

The Model S is larger with a better cargo space, but the Model Y will probably have cargo volume close to the Model S. And other manufacturers get away with such huge price gaps between cars with smaller differences than the 3 and S, but there is no car maker in the world with more attention focused on them than Tesla.

The attention is a two edged sword. They don't need to advertise and their stock price is incredible, but they also gets tons of negative press over every hiccup and the price gap between the Model 3 and S will likely be talked about quite a bit as the Model 3 starts getting out there.

Where it counts, I do think the Model S interior is better than the Model 3. It has an instrument cluster behind the steering wheel that can be customized to some extent. It has more useful interior space for hauling stuff with the hatch as well as being somewhat roomier except in headroom. The Model 3 has most pockets for stuff, coat hooks, and is overall a newer design. That's going to draw attention.

The Model S will need to get an interior that picks up the advantages of the Model 3's design and makes it look even better to keep up sales. The Model S will continue to have a performance edge and it will likely get a range boost as soon as they are sure 2170 production can meet Model 3 needs and then some, but it's going to look overpriced for what you get until there is a refresh.

Reactions: Julie's MS
I agree with most of the comments above. The model 3 is a better car taking into account the interior and updated technology. However many of the commentators keep referring to it being a 35 to 45 k car which it isn’t. To get all the bells and whistles that make a Tesla a Tesla you are going to spend just a shade under 60 k. And what you don’t get is AWD( yet), more space, more performance and a car that has most of its fit and finish issues resolved over the last few years. I think the price differential will be a bit better to take oncethe interior is upgraded, new tech is installed, and maybe a new battery option. Unfortunately that we will have to wait for 6 months give or take. I’m very happy with my P85D till then
even at 60k its far more resonable then the s for what it offers? Thats 30k less then the 60d cost many people in jan/ feb/march of this year.

If the 7500 goes away it goes away for the s and the 3 both...so not even factoring that in the 3 is a way better value for your $$$$.

I think some people are missing the point. The model S is a bigger car.

I’ve been looking at model Ss for a while and had arranged to rent one for a long weekend in order to get my wife on board with the whole idea. At the end of the weekend she was impressed with the performance, the comfort and the looks.

The part of the weekend that actually changed her mind was right at the beginning. We pulled up alongside the rental S and she was helping me transfer all the bags and kid’s stuff across from our Passat Estate. I knew this would be the deal breaker for her and was actually amazed myself at how little space it took up in the back of the S. We didn’t even have to venture into the lower trunk, the side storage or the frunk. It all just fit. Easily.

I can say hand on heart now that if I had pulled up alongside a model 3 that weekend, there would be no Tesla on order. Which there is, a model S, a large family sedan with more luggage space than a Passat Estate.

I think the 3 is an amazing car and would like some of the features that it has to make it into the S. Hopefully before mine turns up in early March. If not so be it. I bought it because I’m fully on board with Elon and all the benefits the current car will bring to me and my family.
the s isnt that much bigger really.... not even by a bmw 3 vs 5 standards or a 5 vs 7...
Its very little bigger so to sAY.....

Just find it funny that people think having door pockets and coat hooks makes something more advance or more luxurious.
you miss the point.....its adds to the whole luxury idea of paying 1/2 as much for a car WITH THE SAME TECH AS THE S MODEL...and even better tech in wipers/screen resolution and screem refreshrate. The 3 is better/newer/higher tech not only software wise but in harware as well. Even the headlights seem to perform way way better then the s headlights...and i bet homelink actually works on the 3.

I do think Tesla will be gradually lowering the price of the Model S. They have to do it slowly or current owners would howl.

The Model S is larger with a better cargo space, but the Model Y will probably have cargo volume close to the Model S. And other manufacturers get away with such huge price gaps between cars with smaller differences than the 3 and S, but there is no car maker in the world with more attention focused on them than Tesla.

The attention is a two edged sword. They don't need to advertise and their stock price is incredible, but they also gets tons of negative press over every hiccup and the price gap between the Model 3 and S will likely be talked about quite a bit as the Model 3 starts getting out there.

Where it counts, I do think the Model S interior is better than the Model 3. It has an instrument cluster behind the steering wheel that can be customized to some extent. It has more useful interior space for hauling stuff with the hatch as well as being somewhat roomier except in headroom. The Model 3 has most pockets for stuff, coat hooks, and is overall a newer design. That's going to draw attention.

The Model S will need to get an interior that picks up the advantages of the Model 3's design and makes it look even better to keep up sales. The Model S will continue to have a performance edge and it will likely get a range boost as soon as they are sure 2170 production can meet Model 3 needs and then some, but it's going to look overpriced for what you get until there is a refresh.
lets face it...they needed the s to fund them into the 3. Bottom line is they needed to suck as much $$$$$ for a model s as they could get from buyers to fund the operation and his other space x crap.

Like everything the 1st of any item is way overpriced untill its not new tech anymore or other versions of the same tech come out...like 4k tv.....now i think 5k is coming.....all laptops will be 4k soon and cheap as 720p laptops were 5-6 yrs ago.

The 2 biggest things tesla has going for them is 1- styling of the ev and tech and 2- super charging network.

They are huge now but in 8 yrs(battery warrenty if you buy now) I would bet other companies will have caught up pretty quick and ev style and ranges will be up but all pricing will be alot lower.

the s isnt that much bigger really.... not even by a bmw 3 vs 5 standards or a 5 vs 7...
Its very little bigger so to sAY.....

It has more than double the luggage space according to this leaflet being handed out to Tesla employees...

Also, the opening into the trunk is a lot smaller on the 3.

I’m not saying this makes the S a better car than the 3, I think both are great, it’s just that some people are asking why you would possibly buy an S over a 3 and one very obvious answer is luggage space.

Status
Not open for further replies.