Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope that they upgrade the interior to the level of other premium vehicles. Due to unforeseen circumstances, I had to go back to an ICE - got the new Mercedes E coupe. The driving does not compare to my previous P85D (Tesla much better), but neither does the interior (Merc much better). I would certainly be willing to pay extra for an upgraded Tesla interior - I suspect I am not the only one. And that is with the Merc costing exactly 50% of what I paid for the P85D.

Reactions: Julie's MS
hey @AnxietyRanger - if you keep saying it - one day it will be true ;)

expect steady incremental changes/improvements in all areas of the car.
This is Tesla's way, has been to date and likely will be for the future.

My guesstimate for the new interior was around Q1/2018, so if it misses that - as the rumor suggests - then that was wrong.

However, the rumor exists and we shall see if my old estimate, the rumor or some other reality is most accurate here.

Or are you suggesting Model S/X won't get a new interior with Model 3s Intel tech and interior camera?

• Funny
Reactions: TigaFF
absolutely agree there will be updates - all over the car - in an incremental way - as has been the practice to date and likely as not will be the prctice in future. Actually I thought it was coming earlier when a number of options dropped off the list suggesting Tesla might be trying to manage parts inventory ahead of an update.

I sus[ect timing will be driven by:

design resource (notable that Volvo's head of interior design joined Tesla a while back now),

timing relative to other models - note the X hasn't been out all that long so a significant design refresh so soon would be a bit unusual and if the S gets it then for sure the X must at the same time

Vehicle sales level - if sales start falling then a refresh is a good way to re-invigorate a product

Competitor progress - linked to above really but in a more anticipative way, if a serious competitor actually emerges sufficient enough to threaten Tesla then this would drive changes and review available features.

Cost - if a new interior can be designed to be better/cheaper and/or easier to assemble

Quality - not just customer perceived quality but ease and consistency in manufacturing

Weight - I have seen the current dash in particular as being reported as being heavy, there will always be a drive to take weight out of the car.

Automation - Elon/Tesla have repeatedly sought ways of automating assembly as robots do not make human errors.

Does all that, and more, equal Q1/2018 - I doubt it,
Sales are strong, competitors stil a little way away, the MX is still new, but changes to the options do counter this and suggest maybe some ioncremental changes coming.
maybe H2/18 when there is the next round of major auto exhibitions so just as the competitiion starts getting real Tesla take another step forward to stay at the front of the pack. (except that the M3 will have sent most of them back to the drawing board anyways)

dammit - youve got me predicting now!

Reactions: AnxietyRanger
@thegruf All fair. I also think the interior refresh in this case may merely mean a dashboard refresh, perhaps together with new interior door panels and/or center consoles and/or roof-lining to match... And steering wheel and stalks might change if the new system is more Model 3 like...

I made the "wait until Q1" guidance already 6+ months ago. It seemed perhaps more likely to me then than it does today. I find the new rumor plausible. We shall see.

I would add one more thing to the list: Tesla may be waiting for some major hardware improvement to go alongside the interior (or dashboard) refresh.

With Model 3 one of the high-ups was quoted around the 2016 unveil as saying they won't wait for all the tech to be ready, if it isn't, so they may have left something out of Model 3.

If the "spaceship controls" meant a HUD, that one would be obvious. But it could mean something else too, for example an AP3 with more color cameras for 360 view on the screen or something (just to make up an idea).

With Model S/X Tesla may feel they have more time to wait for an upgrade to have all the parts. And of course especially so if they would remove the current instrument cluster, then they'd wait for its replacement (HUD? Or something else "spaceship controls?") to be ready... They can't just launch without, as in the case of Model 3...

And that would defiantly lead to many cancellation and a osborne effect if they didn't start making it already.

Which is a catch 22, as a person who buys a $140G Tesla to see the new model come out a week later will instantly lose tens of thousands of dollars in resale potential.

How many people won't buy a new Tesla in fear of being one of the people who lose's10's of thousands of dollars overnight?

And that would defiantly lead to many cancellation and a osborne effect if they didn't start making it already.

Traditional manufacturers do this all the time, though. They manage the situation by adding value options and discounts to the outgoing model. The upshot is happier customers for both outgoing and incoming models.

Of course Tesla refuses to use such normal tools. Tesla has only Showroom Adjustments... ;)

Anyone that drives any new 70k+ car off the lot will lose $10k overnight.
Which is a catch 22, as a person who buys a $140G Tesla to see the new model come out a week later will instantly lose tens of thousands of dollars in resale potential.

How many people won't buy a new Tesla in fear of being one of the people who lose's10's of thousands of dollars overnight?
I wouldn't feel bad about losing value over night. I tend to drive my cars to failure. However it would be nice to be able to upgrade to like better seats if they made them to swap them out. I understand hardware maybe harder. But being able to upgrade if possible would go along way for customers.

As I am. I am postponing the order of a new Model S until there is a refresh, not earlier.

Also expecting CCS in Europe with that refresh.

So yes, I’m holding off for now.

Traditional manufacturers do this all the time, though. They manage the situation by adding value options and discounts to the outgoing model. The upshot is happier customers for both outgoing and incoming models.

Of course Tesla refuses to use such normal tools. Tesla has only Showroom Adjustments... ;)
The problem is that Tesla have three cars while BMW as an example have over 30. If Tesla went out the first of december and said that they would update the interior of Model S and X the first January, it would mean that they would have ever need to offer discounts or get cancellations of 50% of there Q4 deliveries. Sure, it would make happier customer but it would also hurt Teslas profit margin badly. Elon have said that they maybe in the future will go over to more traditional model year but right now it would probably hurt Tesla mush to have orders going up and down like waves.

As am I (but with the Model X). It just seems counterintuitive to buy at the end of a model's life cycle.

Also holding out on a MS. For me it’s not end of the cycle as such, but the value doesn’t seem to be there anymore with the outdated interior and in general vs. M3. If it takes too long I’m more likely to go for a used MS AP1 which should be increasingly interesting from a price point of view as M3 becomes more widely available. Or an M3!

So, I ordered a Model S 75D 3 weeks ago. Should I just cancel the order? For some reason Tesla is asking until March for it to be built (is this normal?)

Help! :)

For Model S's delivered to California, yes it's normal. West coast deliveries are typically 3d month in the quarter. 1st and 2nd months are usually overseas deliveries and east and middle US. Also the 100 and performance ones tend to go out first. It's strategic and logistic planning on their part. We ordered our S 75D end of December 2016 and it was delivered in the SF bay area mid-March 2017. Once they start production it goes fast. You can check the delivery spreadsheet and look back prior years/quarters to see how things flowed. Love our car BTW.

Status
Not open for further replies.