Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I couldn’t agree more. I like the S/X setup much better. But there’s a caveat, if it eliminates 500lbs between wiring and hardware from the car, well then I’m all for it. That would get the X moving and driving like an S and it would be impressive.

Everyone relax. It’s obvious this is the new design language for Tesla. Look at the 2020 Roadster. Long vent, more symmetrical, reduced or absent instrument cluster. This shouldn’t be a surprise. Why was there no concern when people saw the Roadster and Model 3 had so many similarities?

Just like most of us with Model 3s have realized the instrument cluster isn’t necessary, I think most people will find these changes are for the better.

Still chewing on the new look. Two things come to mind:
  • Tesla gets continual grief about its interiors. Personally, I like the minimalistic approach but I also think the Model 3 style interior dances on the line between minimalistic and austere. That might be fine on the entry-level model, but not sure how well that will work on the flagship models, especially as some really stiff competition starts showing up in the next couple of years.
  • I think autonomous driving is still a while off--even if the technology issues are solved soon, there are still legal and policy issues need to be hammered out and that's going to take a while. In light of that, I wonder about optimizing for autonomous driving over the driver-assisted modes most folks we probably be using for some time to come. One of the things Tesla typically gets kudos for is the situational awareness that the instrument cluster provides--does not seem like the revised IC provides comparable functionality. Don't own a Model 3, so maybe folks that have driven both the 3 and an S/X can comment on this.

Reactions: bmah
I think the article reeks of BS. Tesla wouldn’t let this slip out. The rendering looks very basic like someone made it on photoshop in an hour. The pedals look all wrong. Why would this information come with such an exact timeline? It just isn’t believable. Even if it was good information Tesla could not be counted on to follow through on a specific timetable. There’s something else going on here.

I enjoy Electrek but you have to take F.L. with a grain of salt. It isn’t exactly up to journalistic standards.

Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
I want another Tesla, but they are making it tough. With a lack of any predictable update cycle, and some really poor "what if" images, I am now going to have to look at other brands or a used Tesla. :mad: I absolutely want another electric car, but I beg for a post 2012 interior. We at least need a HUD and blind spot monitor. Not to mention some type of phone interface, if the Model 3 had one, I would be on it. My lease expires in 7 months, already extended by 6 months. I cannot justify buying a $150k "soon to be updated" Update Imminent" vehicle that no-one can tell me when. Tesla should have an interior at least in the ball-park of other premium cars. Go sit in a $150k Audi, BMW, Mercedes or Porsche. Hard to compare when our interiors are closer to $30-50k vehicles. I guess as long they are selling cars no reason to worry...

Everyone relax. It’s obvious this is the new design language for Tesla. Look at the 2020 Roadster. Long vent, more symmetrical, reduced or absent instrument cluster. This shouldn’t be a surprise. Why was there no concern when people saw the Roadster and Model 3 had so many similarities?

Just like most of us with Model 3s have realized the instrument cluster isn’t necessary, I think most people will find these changes are for the better.

For one, the Tesla roadster screen was in portrait format and looked quite ergonomic with how the armrest was designed alongside it. A floating screen looks great but I prefer the portrait orientation of the Model S.

No right or wrong just different preferences.

Obviously the new design photos are polarizing and in 2019 there will be other compelling EV interior choices so for the price segment of the Model S, they need to keep things minimalist but also make the interior more luxurious. I am sure they know all this and the actual redesign will be quite impressive.

I think these photos were put out on purpose to spur sales and not necessarily show what the actual interior will be like.

From the Electrek article:
I could see passengers watching videos on the screen if the Model S and Model X end up being capable of fully autonomous driving at that point.

At least we know what the fabled coast to coast autonomous drive will look like now. A family of four, relaxing and watching movies together while the car does the driving.

Not a fan. There is minilist and there is cheap looking. This interior falls toward the latter. I know it is just a rendering but still if you are going to a single screen why not a curved portrait center with a possible driver HUD like the new roadster, not a ridiculous tiny afterthought center info strip. The wife’s Range Rover Velar manages two large center touch screens AND a driver screen AND an optional HUD. They look great and work well. Land Rover manages to price these starting in the 50s. I’m still waiting to trade up my P85DL but this would be a step down IMHO

Q3 2019 could be as little as 11 months from now. Odds are this interior is coming much sooner than later.

Here’s why

1. I think it will require less wiring and hardware and cost less to produce

2. If they introduce it that late in the game, it means that they will have to recover all those sunk costs of the redesign over approximately 2 years of sales before the redesign. I think they’ll want to get a sales boost sooner than that.

I wonder about how this info came out. This is either nonsense, or a deliberate leak, designed to kick some people off of the fence about upgrading now, and to gage public reaction before they get too far down the road. I tend to think the latter.... deliberate leak.

Reactions: unbelievable
It makes sense for Tesla to be planning a dashboard redesign, since the current design has been used since the first S went into production 6 years ago.

Since Tesla intends to provide FSD, it also makes sense for them to redesign the interior to better support the person that happens to be sitting in front of the steering wheel - and not driving.

And, it also makes sense for Tesla to look at options for simplifying the dashboard - such as going to the 3 vent design.

However, does it make sense for Tesla to redesign the S/X dashboard without also redesigning the entire interior? Assuming the car is driving itself, then the changes should go beyond just a dashboard redesign - providing more things for the passengers (including in front of the steering wheel) to do while the car is moving.

This could include watching videos/movies, having work surfaces to set devices, allowing the front seat passengers to face the rear seat passengers, high speed internet, …

Since Tesla's long term plans assume FSD, seems unlikely that we'd only see a front dashboard change without redesigning the entire interior to support driverless operation, including running on the Tesla Network.

Personally, as long as the driver is operating the vehicle, I prefer the S/X dashboard over the 3. Even though Tesla still has not (and likely will never) deliver the long-promised dashboard customization options, I prefer having the dashboard displays in front of me - and not to the side like in the 3 design.

And for those wanting the "performance" option - even if FSD is available, they'll only be able to fully use the performance capabilities when the car is operating under human control - which is why the Roadster will likely still have a fully featured driver's cockpit display, if not with a dashboard monitor, then with HUD directly in front of the driver. If you're driving at high speed, you really don't want to be glancing at the center console...

Why is a dash with multiple very pedestrian air vents along with otherwise-pointless oddly curved pieces of wood or carbon that are only there to allow the current Model S screen to fit flush with the surface so good, while a screen that floats, authentically announcing its purpose while allowing the dash to be a pure, elegant, uninterrupted sweep across the breath of the car - a dash that is unique in the auto industry other than in the model 3 - so bad? I've been very happy with My model S but have absolutely loved the purity of the Model 3 interior once I saw it in person, so I'm surprised there's so much animosity in this thread toward the speculative render (I think that's all it is) shown by Electrek. The Model 3 style dash doesn't look cheap (or no more so than the current Model S): it looks unique, setting Tesla apart.

But then that's just my opinion. And frankly I do like the new roadster's interior even more, where the screen floats in space but in an even more creative and perhaps ergonomically superior curved way. But I think the real key to a Model S interior refresh is adding all the many additional electronic features (e.g. good blind-spot detection with indicators on the wing mirrors, 360 degree camera views, better infotainment) now common on other cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.