Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to say the new suspension is pretty darn good, at least on the highway. Can't wait to see how it handles curves.

Just took delivery of a "Raven" Ludicrous Model S.

Car is much quieter than the 100D it replaces as well.
Has any seen a 0-60 or quarter mile time on the refresh? From what I understand the 0-60 will be about the same( traction limited) but the the quarter mile will drop slightly.

• Informative
Reactions: Pluglife
CraZ8, thanks for the great info regarding the refresh this whole time. You gave some very specific details (too much to just be a guess), and the Ravens are exactly what you said we'd be getting. I'm guessing you'll be right about the interior as well.

Just a cautious note to others: Don't treat that Electrek article or CNBC article as confirmation, they might be using CraZ8's postings as their source (or might be using CraZ8's friend as their source). We just don't know. But even without Electrek/CNBC I still think CraZ8 has reliable info. Several people, including myself, are adjusting their $100K purchases based on your heads up. We would have been pretty bummed if we jumped too soon and missed out on some good stuff. I'd like to see the new interior before deciding, but personally I'm expecting to hate the new interior. I will probably grab an inventory car with the old interior once the new interior is revealed. Would love to be wrong, would love to like the new interior. We'll see. Having HUD or 360 birds eye view could easily sway me.

It seems like some people on here are assuming that the free Ludicrous will end with the interior refresh. Why do some people think this? I'm more inclined to think it's permanent. In fact, I think it'll just become free for anybody (even new buyers). The 100D is quicker than it used to be, and cheaper than it used to be, so the P100DL performance delta is smaller than ever now. It's pretty obvious by the new prices that Model S demand doesn't support those old $150K prices, Tesla has exhausted all the rich folk who'd spend that kind of money. Just my opinion, of course. I just don't think that cost cutting measures on the interior (resulting in a more minimalist interior) is going allow Tesla to raise the prices back up. Would love to hear other's thoughts regarding if/when the free Ludicrous goes away, and if so, what the new Ludicrous price is going to be.

Until competition makes it difficult, any automobile maker will extract a premium for a 20% increase in power\performance. Fortunately for Tesla, this additional power cost Tesla virtually nothing. With their quest for profitability, I do not see Tesla offering ludicrous mode for nothing on a permanent basis. Why should they?

Reactions: FlatSix911
I think with Tesla’s history free ludicrous will be dropped once the refresh model comes out in September but I’m betting it comes back ( or free supercharging) in December as Tesla tries to pump its forth quarter numbers. As for Inside buying a demonstrator if the interior is not to your liking I also think some great deals will be had there as Tesla pushes that inventory out due to the need to demonstrate for the new interior. THIS is speculation on my part.

Last edited:
I got a call from Tesla trying to get me to upgrade to a P100D with free Ludicrous. I thought afterwards I wanted that just slightly more than a Volkswagen TDI. If I was going to upgrade, I'd want a 100D. The acceleration my S 90D can produce is enough to make me queasy. I don't want to carry around the oversized back motor that I will never use with reduced range for the life of the car.

CraZ8, thanks for the great info regarding the refresh this whole time. You gave some very specific details (too much to just be a guess), and the Ravens are exactly what you said we'd be getting. I'm guessing you'll be right about the interior as well.

Just a cautious note to others: Don't treat that Electrek article or CNBC article as confirmation, they might be using CraZ8's postings as their source (or might be using CraZ8's friend as their source). We just don't know. But even without Electrek/CNBC I still think CraZ8 has reliable info. Several people, including myself, are adjusting their $100K purchases based on your heads up. We would have been pretty bummed if we jumped too soon and missed out on some good stuff. I'd like to see the new interior before deciding, but personally I'm expecting to hate the new interior. I will probably grab an inventory car with the old interior once the new interior is revealed. Would love to be wrong, would love to like the new interior. We'll see. Having HUD or 360 birds eye view could easily sway me.

It seems like some people on here are assuming that the free Ludicrous will end with the interior refresh. Why do some people think this? I'm more inclined to think it's permanent. In fact, I think it'll just become free for anybody (even new buyers). The 100D is quicker than it used to be, and cheaper than it used to be, so the P100DL performance delta is smaller than ever now. It's pretty obvious by the new prices that Model S demand doesn't support those old $150K prices, Tesla has exhausted all the rich folk who'd spend that kind of money. Just my opinion, of course. I just don't think that cost cutting measures on the interior (resulting in a more minimalist interior) is going allow Tesla to raise the prices back up. Would love to hear other's thoughts regarding if/when the free Ludicrous goes away, and if so, what the new Ludicrous price is going to be.

Agree - they really need to add some serious differentiator to convince people to go for a refreshed Model S with minimalistic interior.
Both me and my life loved the way touchscreen is neatly integrated with the dashboard in MX/MS - unlike Model3 ( no offenses here) touchscreen which seems like a add on iPad afterthought.

However, I am trying hard to think what could Tesla improve from the interior perspective? Apart from fit and finish - HUD and rear seat entertainment displays built into the seat comes to my mind. Any other thoughts?

Agree - they really need to add some serious differentiator to convince people to go for a refreshed Model S with minimalistic interior.
Both me and my life loved the way touchscreen is neatly integrated with the dashboard in MX/MS - unlike Model3 ( no offenses here) touchscreen which seems like a add on iPad afterthought.

However, I am trying hard to think what could Tesla improve from the interior perspective? Apart from fit and finish - HUD and rear seat entertainment displays built into the seat comes to my mind. Any other thoughts?
I'm lusting over the ambient lighting in the the new Mercs. I hope Tesla has a similar implementation.

Reactions: aagosh
I think with Tesla’s history free ludicrous will be dropped once the refresh model comes out in September but I’m betting it comes back ( or free supercharging) in December as Tesla tries to pump its forth quarter numbers. As for Inside buying a demonstrator if the interior is not to your liking I also think some great deals will be had there as Tesla pushes that inventory out due to the need to demonstrate for the new interior. THIS is speculation on my part.

Have been waiting for this MS upgrade, to upgrade my MS, however I have a MX P100D on order with July delivery. Any news on whether or not MX is upgraded atvthe same time?

This is my hope as well. It would make sense they would be updated at the same time if they are manufactured on the same line as reported. But then why only mention the S in the article? And if it's a purely defensive maneuver given the Taycan will be revealed in September, then who knows. I guess time will tell, but I am ready!

My guess would be that they would do it at the same time to minimize the need to run an entirely different interior run of parts, as the new interior for both s&X should have significant overlap of parts

Took a test drive in a Raven model S performance. Quite impressed with the suspension in both comfort mode and sport. In comfort mode, suspension felt more compliant over surface roughness and bumps. In sport mode at the limits, turns were sharp and level, more so than my refreshed P90D, not unlike a BMW 5 or 7.

Road noise seem reduced as well but I did not have a decibel meter with me. It may be just enough to pull the trigger on a Raven, just need to find a buyer for my perfect P90D.
THE important question: in Sport mode (or sportiest mode, whatever the name) is the suspension height HIGHER or LOWER than in Comfort mode? Or unchanged?
The problem now is that the low-compliance ("Sport") mode is HIGHER, the opposite of what you want...

I’m gonna throw out a guess that they announce the refreshed car two weeks or so into Q2. This will prevent anyone using their seven day return policy from the end of Q1 and people with the old car will be somewhat pleased that they got in on the tax credit.

The new cars will be announced with a higher MSRP and a 3-style interior for September deliveries. This would clear out any existing S/X inventory for customers who want the “classic” layout and lower price.

This strategy would create plenty of classic S/X sales for Q2, get the market primed for the new version, and give Wall Street something to shut them up. All right in time to knock the Taycan and EQC down a few pegs during their launches.

My $0.02. Don’t spend it all in one place.

@CraZ8:

There is ongoing debate whether the S/X can accommodate the 2170 battery without a major body or chassis redesign.

Do you have an opinion or insight whether the September refresh will include a further increase in range beyond the Raven's 370 rated miles and/or faster v3 supercharger speed, due to the 2170 battery or some other upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.