Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
After reading this article:
Tesla Model S Plaid Powertrain: Everything We Know

I assume when they do this they will also update the battery cooling and the battery. 2170 seems likely. Q2?
You know when I first glanced at this response this line jumped out at me and my first assumption was to think of the year and not the battery type. Elon time and all that LOL. So with the plaid coming let’s say at least a year and a half away I think I may go ahead get a Raven performance with all the incentives ( free supercharging , free ludicrous, lower price on full self driving) this last quarter rather than wait for the new interior in 4 months. That way I will be positioned for a plaid in say two years after they work out all the bugs

You know when I first glanced at this response this line jumped out at me and my first assumption was to think of the year and not the battery type. Elon time and all that LOL. So with the plaid coming let’s say at least a year and a half away I think I may go ahead get a Raven performance with all the incentives ( free supercharging , free ludicrous, lower price on full self driving) this last quarter rather than wait for the new interior in 4 months. That way I will be positioned for a plaid in say two years after they work out all the bugs

I may have to do the same. I have to think that there will be other upgrades before Plaid. Strange the way that announcement worked out.

I hope so. The S100D at $100k makes no sense now. 20 miles of range over the long range Model 3 and 20% faster? Not worth the dramatic price hike.
If you cruise much above 70 mph, S with air suspension and advantageous dual motor gearing has longer range. Plus smoother, quieter ride; huge and more versatile trunk.

We have both 3P- and S100D. I’ve driven both on road trips. S is, by far, the champion.

Elon's master plan talks about advancing emission free transportation, not making lots of money. Selling 50-100K Model S a year goes more towards that goal than selling 1K or even 20K at a much higher price. Also the profits from selling 100K cars is usually higher than from selling a relative handful of overpriced cars.

Elon's master plans is going to cost a shitload of money.

You don't build Gigafactory 4 through 20 on razor thin Model 3 Standard Range vehicles.

Selling 20k Model S at $150k each will yield more profit than selling 50k at $80k each.

Elon's master plans is going to cost a shitload of money.

You don't build Gigafactory 4 through 20 on razor thin Model 3 Standard Range vehicles.

Selling 20k Model S at $150k each will yield more profit than selling 50k at $80k each.

If they simply marked up the $80K Model S to $150K, they would sell very few of them. They need to offer perceived value for a $150K car and that would require a lot of luxury gadgets the Model S doesn't have now. If they made $50K profit and sold 20K cars at $150K, or sold 50K $80K cars with a $20K profit the profit in the end for both scenarios is $1 billion.

Maybe they could make a car people would pay $150K for for less than $100K and maybe it's costing them more than $60K to make the $80K car now, we don't know what the refresh will cost to make. However I expect the cost of a Model S is down to $80K today because they have managed to streamline production costs enough to sell it at that price and still turn a decent profit.

@

CraZ8, are you saying that you think the new interior will happen in the next 4 months? I am soooo DYING for the new interior to refresh before purchasing the model X :( :( :(

@

CraZ8, are you saying that you think the new interior will happen in the next 4 months? I am soooo DYING for the new interior to refresh before purchasing the model X :( :( :(
Well that would be earliest for first quarter of 2020. We know that the update got pushed back from a September announcement. So sometime jan to March we should hear something. Tesla is keeping this very close to the chest.

Took delivery last week. Couldn't wait... The Model S still looks futuristic as it is.

huxtS6k.jpg

I'm monitoring this thread *again*. I first did it last year and earlier this year but ended up getting a 3P+ in July. My wife loves that car and wants it ("I want this car"), so I'll need to get a new car. I have gotten used to the 0-60 acceleration of the 3P+ and now think I want something with a 2 handle on the 0-60 time. That bumps me up to the Performance S. The thing is I don't want to buy before a significant upgrade and Musk has clearly said that a three motor version of the S is coming out next year. Anyone have a better idea on the timing of the S3?

Seems to be very little Model S 100D inventory available (at least in the Chicago area) now after the end of the quarter. They say orders are 4 - 6 weeks, which seems normal, if not a little longer.

Could that mean anything or is there another explanation ?

Seems to be very little Model S 100D inventory available (at least in the Chicago area) now after the end of the quarter. They say orders are 4 - 6 weeks, which seems normal, if not a little longer.

It most likely means they sold off as much stock as possible to get EOQ sales numbers up, and that they haven't had time to stock up inventory yet. This is good news for Tesla, but I personally wouldn't consider it any harbinger of an update. When they did the raven update they had tons of pre-raven model Ses they had to get rid of.

If you look back through history over the past 3 to 4 years, it's a regular occurrence for for them to pull inventory after the end of the quarter. Usually within days or weeks the unsold inventory will be listed online again.

Reactions: alloverx
Status
Not open for further replies.