Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm astounded that the Plaid S is that far off. It's seems they've almost got too much going on. The Roadster delay is just not fair however I guess it's buyer (depositor) beware.

I wonder if those reservations are going to get roadsters for free, as people would have if they put that same amount on TSLA stock. I'd be refunding mine by now.

Yeah. We were hoping Plaid would be 4th quarter 2020 instead of Q4 2021. :(

Something really smells here. It's as if Tesla bought Nikola's secret battery department and are into steady development of slideware. Where are those huge amounts of new-gen batteries going, which they said they are already churning (at low yield rate)? Are they testing their recycling system (build and scrap and rebuild)??? Are they trying to un-Osborne Q3/2020 and announce a Plaid in october??? Is plaid actually "just" behind the corner? Did they come up with a new delayed Plaid spec because of Lucid (will they announce a lower spec available earlier)? Where are the 7 seats "fastest 7-seater on Nürburgring"? How can they fit "cell to pack" or "cell to sandwich body" for Plaid without redesign? How about a walk in the new factory? What will Lucid announce on 24. Sept. 2020?

#morequestionsthananswers - I welcome Johnson at GLJ to tear this baby UP! Tesla Bear Johnson Says Battery Day 'All Smoke and Mirrors'

Last edited:
I'm not sure why everybody wants an S facelift so bad ... To me it's one of the best looking cars available, perfect lines, just beautiful. I did just turn fitty so maybe I'm over hill now and the S is the new classic?

About the only thing I would change replace the chrome trim with satin black. With that said, the chrome looks great with the deep black.

Last edited:
The exterior looks great. I want an interior refresh before I consider the S. The backseat space looks smaller than the 3 and Y, and the center screen seems to still have issues. Once those are addressed, I will consider getting the S. I don't really want the Y.

It's quite a bit bigger than the 3 but the Y is an SUV or at least a crossover, while not as wide as the S, it is taller. Not sure what screen issues, you mean the border yellowing? I think that's been fixed for a while now, but only issue I've read about.

I'm not sure why everybody wants an S facelift so bad ... To me it's one of the best looking cars available, perfect lines, just beautiful. I did just turn fitty so maybe I'm over hill now and the S is the new classic?

About the only thing I would change replace the chrome trim with satin black. With that said, the chrome looks great with the deep black.
I think the overall shape is an absolute classic. I agree on the chrome delete option: that would be interesting as a plaid-specific detail. The one thing I would change is the nose that has that horizontal slot with the kind of a bird's beak detail in the middle. I would rather have the old oval nose (which I have on my P85D) or something else without that slot/beak detail such as in the new roadster or even the 3. And I think some aero like a diffuser and air dam for track performance would be needed. Otherwise I wouldn't change a thing.

maybe in your book, as far as I am concerned the model S interior is spartan compared to the MBs or BMWs

I agree 100%. My biggest complaint of the MS (which I did purchase because I liked it much better than the M3 interior) is the 'luxury' level for the price of the car. Any similarly priced car has much more comfortable seating and luxurious interior....albeit with many many more buttons and levers and pockets to hold random stuff that you learn to do without when its not there. Changing what you store in your car is like learning to drive an EV and not buy gasoline on a trip...once you do without it you wonder why you needed it in the first place.

Where are those huge amounts of new-gen batteries going, which they said they are already churning (at low yield rate)?

They said they've produced more than 10000 cells, they used a number in the tens of thousands.

At 2000 cells per car, that's not a lot, so no, they don't have HUGE amounts now, and won't for a long while judging by the multi-year timeline they showed.

Speculating is silly, just watch closely.

The exterior looks great. I want an interior refresh before I consider the S. The backseat space looks smaller than the 3 and Y, and the center screen seems to still have issues. Once those are addressed, I will consider getting the S. I don't really want the Y.

It's quite a bit bigger than the 3 but the Y is an SUV or at least a crossover, while not as wide as the S, it is taller. Not sure what screen issues, you mean the border yellowing? I think that's been fixed for a while now, but only issue I've read about.

Definitely agree. As roomy as the 3 is for its size, the S is more spacious still, especially the back seats. I've been in two friend's Model 3. One had an early 2018 and I couldn't stand how thin the backseat bench was and the angle of the backseat felt too upright on the 3. The other friend's 2019 Model 3 has thicker padding and the backseat has a more comfortable angle, but still not as roomy as the S.

Now, the Y is deceptively spacious. Due to the higher seats, i'm able to sit in the Y backseat and literally straighten my legs due to all the toe room beneath the front seat risers. I can't straighten my legs in the S and can only barely do so in the backseat of an X (I'm 5'9). If it wasn't for the choppy ride quality then I might get a Y.

Reactions: SmartElectric
I think the overall shape is an absolute classic. I agree on the chrome delete option: that would be interesting as a plaid-specific detail. The one thing I would change is the nose that has that horizontal slot with the kind of a bird's beak detail in the middle. I would rather have the old oval nose (which I have on my P85D) or something else without that slot/beak detail such as in the new roadster or even the 3. And I think some aero like a diffuser and air dam for track performance would be needed. Otherwise I wouldn't change a thing.

That opening is the air inlet for the HEPA filter. Something like it needs to be on the front of the Model S and X as long as they have Bio-Defense mode.

As for the interior, the lack of cabin storage has become worse since COVID. Now I need to carry masks and hand sanitizer in the car, the lack of places to stash those things gets annoying. I wish I had door pockets more than ever.

Plaid S delivery date late 2021? Gimme a break, I was counting on IMMINENT. Probably even Cybertruck will come out earlier. Pass.

PS. Urban dictionary seems to be bit on the fence on the meaning of the word imminent.
End of 2021 qualifies as imminent in Elon's vernacular. Whether you believe him or not is another story.

That opening is the air inlet for the HEPA filter. Something like it needs to be on the front of the Model S and X as long as they have Bio-Defense mode.

As for the interior, the lack of cabin storage has become worse since COVID. Now I need to carry masks and hand sanitizer in the car, the lack of places to stash those things gets annoying. I wish I had door pockets more than ever.
I'm sad about the need for the slot, but that's good to know. You are certainly right about storage. I don't know if you remember the yacht floor they used to offer but I have it in my P85D and that's where the masks, etc. go. I wish they still offered it, but I completely agree they need door pockets and the like.

Blame Lucid for late 2021. I think if Lucid released theirs sooner they would have prioritized the Plaid. And interior update could still be in the works aside from the plaid but prob unlikely

Hmm.. on that 4D-chess thought, if Lucid were to announce today that their Tri-motor is the first one to production and begins deliveries asap, Tesla would need to step up? That might be the only move left for Lucid that makes sense.

• Helpful
Reactions: 5JMJ
Blame Lucid for late 2021. I think if Lucid released theirs sooner they would have prioritized the Plaid. And interior update could still be in the works aside from the plaid but prob unlikely
I definitely blame Lucid having a better car than they initially had in the Plaid.

The cobbled together reveal with little real details or substance in combination with the delay to late 2021 seems clearly due to Lucid’s specs.

I hope Lucid’s tri motor doesn’t turn out to be even better, or it will be late 2022 before Tesla makes them.

Plaid’s value is in the marketing of technology that’s likely unprofitable to make in even the low volumes of performance Model S. We’re easily talking 2022 in Elon time. Nearly Vaporware bragging rights of ever-upcoming cars.

Reactions: hydro 481
I definitely blame Lucid having a better car than they initially had in the Plaid.

The cobbled together reveal with little real details or substance in combination with the delay to late 2021 seems clearly due to Lucid’s specs.

I hope Lucid’s tri motor doesn’t turn out to be even better, or it will be late 2022 before Tesla makes them.

Plaid’s value is in the marketing of technology that’s likely unprofitable to make in even the low volumes of performance Model S. We’re easily talking 2022 in Elon time. Nearly Vaporware bragging rights of ever-upcoming cars.
Lucid Has A More Powerful Tri-Motor Air Prototype That Runs 9.3-Second Quarter Miles

According to this article, the prototype tri-motor Lucid runs 1/4 mile in 9.3 sec. We'll see today what Lucid has up their sleeve.

Lucid Has A More Powerful Tri-Motor Air Prototype That Runs 9.3-Second Quarter Miles

According to this article, the prototype tri-motor Lucid runs 1/4 mile in 9.3 sec. We'll see today what Lucid has up their sleeve.
We won’t really know until they’re both on the road. Way too many fine print details to hide behind in these reveals.

What we do know is that cars powered by electric motors and batteries are increasingly more capable than anything you’ll find in ICE. For much less, too. Even just carefully calibrated prototypes doing these times is impressive.

Beautiful car in your user profile

Reactions: SmartElectric
Status
Not open for further replies.