Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to comment on a post by David29 *not sure how to copy that that and the poster details but anyway
———

Oh, and keys. I'd hate to lose my fob -- it has not failed me, and I am wary of relying on my phone as the key.

——-
Lack of phone key was one of the top reasons we didnt rush to get the S -= and ended up with a Y -

Phone key is very reliable and a strength of the 3/Y - they really need to bring that to S/X

Well, I suppose it may be a matter of the devil you know....
But I have definitely been in locations with no cell service for either my phone or the car or both. And yes, I do know about the backup key card.
One anecdote about phone vs. fob -- A couple of years ago, the Northeast section of TMC had an event at which there was a Summon race. A few cars (4 or 5, I think) lined up next to each other and, at a signal, used the Summon function to race to a finish line perhaps 50 yards away. I won the first heat of the race. I remember watching the guy next to me trying to actuate Summon on his phone and then waiting while the phone sent the signal to cyberspace and then back down to his car. It took noticeably longer for his cellphone command to move the car than it took for my fob command to do so. I know, who uses Summon very often, but it is direct and reliable using the fob (plus, you do not have to hold down the button).

But I have definitely been in locations with no cell service for either my phone or the car or both. And yes, I do know about the backup key card.
One anecdote about phone vs. fob -- A couple of years ago, the Northeast section of TMC had an event at which there was a Summon race. A few cars (4 or 5, I think) lined up next to each other and, at a signal, used the Summon function to race to a finish line perhaps 50 yards away. I won the first heat of the race. I remember watching the guy next to me trying to actuate Summon on his phone and then waiting while the phone sent the signal to cyberspace and then back down to his car. It took noticeably longer for his cellphone command to move the car than it took for my fob command to do so. I know, who uses Summon very often, but it is direct and reliable using the fob (plus, you do not have to hold down the button).

Cell Service is not required to unlock or "start" the vehicle. Bluetooth is used for this authentication so as long as your phone has power you will be fine. Now if your phone dies you will have to used the key card. Fobs are available for purchase and can be paired to the car rather easily. I carry the card in my wallet just in case but cant really remember the last time I have had to use it.

Oops, a correction -- You can't summon a car for a distance as long as 50 yards. The maximum is actually 39 feet (unless you have the capability for "Smart Summon," which my car does not). Sorry for the incorrect information!

I wish eu would allow summon with fob. We can only do it with app and it sucks. Even with perfect signals it usually stops halfway.

• Informative
Reactions: David29 and ICUDoc
Maybe this has been mentioned in this mega thread already, but it looks like the side indicators are much bigger than on the current model. It also extend further out from the front fender.

Are we seeing digital mirrors here? This could also explain "more screens than the previous model"

models.png

Reactions: Sam1
Legal for a lot of other places, for example europe.
I know its difficult to remember for you guys, but America is actually only 4% of the world.

But Tesla probably won't do it until they can do it in the US. Just like matrix headlights, not legal in the US yet either... (At least for the S&X where they are all built in the Fremont plant. I wouldn't be surprised if the Model Y built in the Giga Berlin plant could have some differences.)

• Disagree
Reactions: TimothyHW3
Status
Not open for further replies.