Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Given the gap shown between the front door and front fender in the latest "spy shot" - it is definitely not what is moving to production - It looked to be an almost a 1 inch gap. So what we are seeing is engineering mockups meant to test a particular function. Not early production runs.

Ha a 1 inch gap on a Tesla means it can’t be a production car. Is that because the gap is too small?!

Is it me or are the inside edges of the tail lights (just under the now-black “chrome” strip on the trunk) more square than in existing models?

9E8ED7F7-D31B-433D-85FC-424C3CBCCA42.jpeg

4BAACD78-5200-4233-901A-E09FCD45FC05.jpeg

If Tesla includes camera based side mirrors in a refresh along with the legally mandated mirrors, if the laws do change people can remove the external mirrors. So it does give an upgrade path for the car if and when the laws change. In countries where mirrors are no longer required they can deliver cars without the external mirrors.

Do you follow car development/release of other brands? These are almost certainly test mules. Did you ever see pics of the Porsche Taycan before they were publicly unveiled? They looked terrible. That's because they put body colored panels to hide the actual shapes and details; they even hid the look of the lights by putting stuff over them to make them look like old previous gen lights. Basically car companies are very good at hiding the look of their new cars until they are ready to unveil the car.

Wasn't Porche promoting a concept car very similar to the Toucan for at least a year ahead of the actual Toucan release?

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
Not sure about that "good for all." I have watched two videos with reviews of European cars that have the video side mirrors, one was an Audi e-Tron and the other was another car (forget which), and both reviews had complaints about the video mirrors. As I recall, one issue was reflections off the inside screens causing visibility issues, and another was that the outside cameras were more sensitive to dirt and glare than mirrors would be. Another comment was that the Audi positioned the inside monitors poorly for the driver to see them across the cabin. So I wonder if they are really the "wonderful new thing" that people expect.
A mirror is a pretty simple device, and camera/monitor combo is not so simple...I like the engineering principle of KISS ("Keep It Simple, Stupid") ...

Well, I guess my command of the English language is subpar as a non-native speaker, mea culpa. My intention was to address what seemed to be a reluctance from some people to add this option to the car, as it was not currently legal in the US. For those who want this option, including US-based drivers, it would be "good for all" if it was added for non-US territories anyway - as that would presumably put some additional pressure on the NTHSA to come to a conclusion in their ongoing evaluation of changing the law in this regard. I did not intend to imply that the option of e-mirrors would be preferred by everyone.

Wasn't Porche promoting a concept car very similar to the Toucan for at least a year ahead of the actual Toucan release?

Indeed, tho I am not talking about the concept car, but the pre-production cars that they were road testing (because it's more often than not that production cars look pretty different from concept, tho Taycan is one of the exceptions). They literally just put body panel covers on them so you don't see exactly what they look like. Below are some examples. Like the first one obviously covers the bumper, the entire bottom of the rear. The second photo basically seems to use a cover where the rear lights were painted to look like pre 2014 Panamera rear lights. Basically what I am saying is that many manufacturers deliberately cover up their test cars so you can't see what they really look like until when they are ready/want to do a full reveal; and it's super easy to do.

Tesla may be doing the same, but maybe not.

460242.jpg

64b5650c-2021-porsche-taycan-3.jpg

Unless you, hypothetically speaking, had a network of charging stations across the US and other countries that were dedicated to your brand and charged much faster than any other system....

Agree. The range is such a moot point for me. Unless you regularlyly drive 200+ miles a day, then even a 75kWh car will be more than enough for your needs.

Reactions: electricar
Agree. The range is such a moot point for me. Unless you regularly drive 200+ miles a day, then even a 75kWh car will be more than enough for your needs.

In major cities, many EV owners don't have a garage, they have a condo with parking spot without 240V charging. In this case, higher range and charging speed becomes more important. Also for everyone who takes long road trips.

Note that the Taycan can already charge at 270kw and currently is the leader for fastest road trip across the US, beating Model 3.

Agree. The range is such a moot point for me. Unless you regularlyly drive 200+ miles a day, then even a 75kWh car will be more than enough for your needs.

True, however I like going way out there, like visiting National Parks. Try going from Reno to Big Basin National Park (Hwy 50), not possible without L2 charging. I admit, I'm in the minority, but I bet there are a decent number of others like me. I can use L2 at National Parks, but if I'm on limited time, SC is ideal. In the near future I'd like to go to Hyder, AK and check out some spots near there, being rural, SCs are not likely anytime soon, and range is definitely king in circumstances like that.

In major cities, many EV owners don't have a garage, they have a condo with parking spot without 240V charging. In this case, higher range and charging speed becomes more important. Also for everyone who takes long road trips.

Note that the Taycan can already charge at 270kw and currently is the leader for fastest road trip across the US, beating Model 3.

If you don't have access to overnight charging then an EV probably isn't for you anyway. It still takes an hour or more to charge a Model S.

Although I agree charging speed is extremely important, moreso than capacity.

True, however I like going way out there, like visiting National Parks. Try going from Reno to Big Basin National Park (Hwy 50), not possible without L2 charging. I admit, I'm in the minority, but I bet there are a decent number of others like me. I can use L2 at National Parks, but if I'm on limited time, SC is ideal. In the near future I'd like to go to Hyder, AK and check out some spots near there, being rural, SCs are not likely anytime soon, and range is definitely king in circumstances like that.

You mean Great Basin? Because there's plenty of chargers around Big Basin.

If you commute to national parks all the time or go on road trips regularly, then yes, you need more range.

Status
Not open for further replies.