Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S range and interior update imminent?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree. The range is such a moot point for me. Unless you regularlyly drive 200+ miles a day, then even a 75kWh car will be more than enough for your needs.

People live different lives and have different needs.
I personally often go hiking, hunting etc so I travel to «remote» places and or cabins where there is no destination charging or even electricity at all.
For example this fall I went many times to a cabin that was about 150km from the closest charger(on route) when I arrived there I had 40% SOC. I stayed there for some days and with vampire drain I was now at 30-35% soc.
It was snowy out when I left the cabin so the car drained a ton of energy the first few kilometers, there was just no way I could make it back to the closest charger(on route). Only option was to travel to absolutely oposite direction for 40 minutes to a supercharger, when I arrived the battery was not warm since it was a too short drive which means I only got 60kw charging rate, I had to stay there and charge for 1.5 hours before I had enough range to get back home. So thats 40+40 minutes extra drive+1.5hr charging. Thats 210 minutes extra travel time, for a trip that should only had been 300kms.
Granted my car is only a S75D, but Im not so sure even the lr+ would had made it without that extra drive and charge. and there is plenty of places way more remote where I am not able to even travel right now.

Reactions: henderrj
If you don't have access to overnight charging then an EV probably isn't for you anyway. It still takes an hour or more to charge a Model S.

Although I agree charging speed is extremely important, moreso than capacity.

You mean Great Basin? Because there's plenty of chargers around Big Basin.

If you commute to national parks all the time or go on road trips regularly, then yes, you need more range.

Yes, I meant Great Basin. Yeah, once weather warms up a bit, I plan on making some road trips. Its good to have the flexibility, more range means time saved for me, dont like to use up too much time off at once. I dont make long trips often, but more range is helpful when I do. And, when you go way out, speed limit goes up to 70+, more range means I can drive at those speeds breathing a lot easier.

Getting closer... Tesla Model S ‘Palladium’ refresh spotted on test track ahead of launch (electrek.co)

Tesla-model-S-palladium-refresh-2.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: irish26 and rickyjb
Boooooring!... ;-)This body styling has for the most part been in production since 2012 and is getting a bit stale. I mean I still like the current S and think it's a good looking car, but I sure hoped for something that looked a bit more exciting like some of the renderings. Hopefully this is an intentionally subdued test car exterior and the real thing will have a bit more pizzaz. Side view mirrors are so 2020.... we want sideview cameras

Boooooring!... ;-)This body styling has for the most part been in production since 2012 and is getting a bit stale. I mean I still like the current S and think it's a good looking car, but I sure hoped for something that looked a bit more exciting like some of the renderings. Hopefully this is an intentionally subdued test car exterior and the real thing will have a bit more pizzaz. Side view mirrors are so 2020.... we want sideview cameras

I'm still hoping this is a mule, and I think it is. If it's just a barely updated S I'll pass.

As far as the cameras, yeah, it may be silly but I was kind of hoping my next Teslas wouldn't have side view mirrors.

Status
Not open for further replies.