Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Reservation Tally

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I believe Tesla will be opening 12 more stores in 2012*, and will most like follow Apple's strategy for retail. Apple's strategy back in 2001 was to open an Apple Store within 15 miles of 1/3 of the US population. Like Apple stores, Tesla stores are relatively low cost to open ($1 Million per store) and are a great ROI compared to the traditional car dealership model (i.e., notice how the reservations increase when a store opens or the Model S takes a "tour").**

I hope they follow a decent strategy as Apple did, but I believe they are demonstrating poor geographic coverage. The current situation is not good for anyone who's too far from a service center, as the Rangers mileage charges can get enormous. People in Alaska probably expect that, but people in Youngstown, OH (400 miles from the nearest service center right now) probably don't.

Lacking geographic coverage is bad for Tesla's bottom line, too; suppose there's just one Model S in Pittsburgh, one in Cleveland, one in Cincinnati, one in Columbus, one in Toledo, one in Indianapolis, one in Detroit. Do routine service and you've just spent a day per car (due to driving time alone) and are paying the Rangers overtime. Several cars to service? Rangers need to stay overnight, hotel room. Cars have to be taken to the shop? Minimum three days for one car, with the flatbed truck movements. You start to eat up service people's time really fast, and the cost of flatbed transport must skyrocket. This is all very well if you've got one Tesla out in Alaska, but in a high-population area like the Rust Belt, you will *not* have just one Model S, you'll have dozens at a minimum. It's going to be cheaper to have a service center within a reasonable distance than to rely on New York and Chicago.

And as for Hawaii, well, just don't buy a Tesla if you live in Hawaii, because it will be cheaper to buy a new car every couple of years than to do the yearly service. But Hawaiians don't need range, so perhaps Tesla is simply not trying to compete in Hawaii, and will let Nissan own the market. As a stockholder I would disapprove of that decision; Hawaii is practically the perfect luxury electric car market.

I doubt that 12 more service centers is enough to provide a reasonable coverage, but I particularly doubt it if Tesla keeps opening multiple stores in the same geographic region rather than spreading them out (a *fifth* planned in California, really, and the third in Southern California?). If you look at that Q3 2011 report, their planned stores are an improvement over the present state (2 in the SW, 2 in the SE, Boston, Portland) but STILL don't have good geographic coverage of major US population clusters (the many large cities in the Rust Belt, the entire string of large cities along the Mississippi river, North Carolina, Salt Lake City, and of course Hawaii -- not to mention Montreal). Maybe 10-15 more would cover most of the US and Canada population centers comfortably.

Yeah, I'm harping on this, because I don't think they're deploying service centers nearly fast enough. I hope that by the end of 2013 Tesla has rolled out their coverage for these "gaps", but at the moment they show no signs of doing so. You're in Detroit -- there should be a service center nearer to you than Chicago, and it appears none is planned.

Anyway, I've been terribly off-topic. I'll stop now.

nero,

I'm willing to bet that Tesla's goal isn't to just stick with boutique shops. I think they know they'll need to roll out more service stations. Perhaps they may even be waiting to see where their first buyers are so they can strategically plan? I dunno, but I think that's the point: we don't know. As far as I know, Tesla hasn't made much mention of how this is going to work. It's entirely possible that they don't even fully know yet.

I wonder if Tesla, at some point, will strike a partnership with independent service chains that have catered to only ICEs thus far? If they want to stay a little high-brow, maybe, even partner with Nissan and train their Leaf service personnel to handle Teslas as well when the Model S really takes off all over?!

What is required to open a new store / service center?
Acquire the property / negotiate rental contracts. Can take weeks if you don't want to throw big piles of money
get permits to sell cars / maintain them there: might even be outside Tesla's reach to get them on time
Rig up the store interior: can be done in record time. Compare the times to build trade fair booths (<24h).
car shop should take several weeks to get fitted out with required machinery.
Get personnel and train them: must be planned months in advancement.

I wonder if Teslamtors follows this thread also!:biggrin:

I don't know about Tesla, but I do know Wall Street analysts do not this thread. If any analyst on Wall Street followed this thread, they'd report a strong growth in Model S demand.

According to the 2nd and 3rd Quarter Shareholder Letters, net reservations per month are increasing significantly.

2nd Quarter Shareholder Letter:
"At the end of June, we had over 5,300 reservations, and through July, this number has grown to over 5,600..."

3rd Quarter Shareholder Letter:
"Reservations growth for Model S continued to accelerate, as we added about 1,150 net new reservations during the quarter. This brings our total count to about 6,500 reservations as of the end of September..."

July 2011 Reservations: 300
August 2011 Reservations: 425 (Average of remaining 850)
September 2011 Reservations: 425 (Average of remaining 850)

I'm interested to know how many net new reservations were added in October...

This from the Tesla Q3 Shareholder Letter:

Reservations growth for Model S continued to accelerate, as we added about 1,150 net new reservations during the quarter. This brings
our total count to about 6,500 reservations as of the end of September. It is likely that the anticipation of the Model S Beta reveal
stimulated an increase in reservations; however, we are continuing to see strong ongoing interest as we begin to display the Model S at
some of our stores. These reservations require a minimum $5,000, refundable deposit

attachment.php?attachmentid=3286.jpg

s resev.jpg

Last edited:
Total: 7,487 - October 25, 2011

Would this mean production in the factory is certified till the end of January 2013 for now?

No, but not for the reasons you might think. :) Cancellations and upgrades won't amount to that much... but if Tesla gets production started before July (as many have speculated might happen if everything goes well), then they'll produce more than 5000 in the first year, possibly even 10000. :)

I don't think Tesla has the freedom to double initial year's production at will. There are contracts with 3rd party suppliers, and they all must include options to crank up numbers in case Tesla wants that. Such contract options come at a cost even if not pulled.

I don't think Tesla has the freedom to double initial year's production at will. There are contracts with 3rd party suppliers, and they all must include options to crank up numbers in case Tesla wants that. Such contract options come at a cost even if not pulled.

Actually, very low cost these days. It's pretty common to ask suppliers to hold components for you and especially if they see Tesla as potentially big they will do it. Also Elon indicated in one interview that a surprisingly high proportion of components were North American sourced, that cuts down lead times.