Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Reservation Tally

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is unlikely, even with a Signature reservation, that the Panoramic roof, the performance package and the rear-facing child seats, would be included in the basic Signature pricing. I'm guessing, but personally I believe that most Signature Models S's will be lucky to come in under $100K, especially when considering sales taxes and destination charges.
If by performance package you mean "Sport" then that will be an additional-cost option even for Sigs. So there will be "Sig" and "Sport Sig" (or "Sig Sport" if you follow Roadster naming).

Total: 7,487 - October 25, 2011

Would this mean production in the factory is certified till the end of January 2013 for now?
There are gaps from Sig upgrades and people that have cancelled their deposit. There will also be people that choose not to buy for some reason. We've had several people on the forum say they might choose to skip the S and buy the X.

It's hard to say what the real number of buyers is right now. 90%? 80%?

Last edited:
I would say it's safe to say that production is good until EOY 2012. I suspect, that once deliveries begin, interest will pick up, and any gaps will be quickly filled as 2013 production gets filled as well. Hopefully anyway.

I've got 3 guys in my office who all say they're going to buy one too. It will be kind of funny since we're a firm of 6 people.

Same here !

Wearing a somewhat evangelical EV hat, I think I've presold two Model S's to close friends who would normally be temped into a 7 series BMW etc.

The vast majority of Brits have no idea just how generous the financial incentives are for EV ownership.

If you look at the compound financial savings over, say, a 5 yr period it’s a complete no brainer to own one here. EG. A give away rule of 100% write down against corporation tax in year one; a huge saving in petrol costs of typically £4k per year which for 5 yrs with inflation could be £25K+ ( its $11 a gallon in the UK …); no £450 per year road tax; no congestion charges driving into London at £1,900 per year, no city parking fees, etc.

With an ICE over the same period, you’d be £40-50k worse off ( ie $70-$80k) and that’s before you consider the ridiculously generous write down allowances.

If you've got Solar as well, you even get paid to generate the power and then use all of it…

It is unlikely, even with a Signature reservation, that the Panoramic roof, the performance package and the rear-facing child seats, would be included in the basic Signature pricing. I'm guessing, but personally I believe that most Signature Models S's will be lucky to come in under $100K, especially when considering sales taxes and destination charges.

Since I'm not getting Sport *or* the panoramic roof *or* the 21" wheels, and I don't need the rear-facing child seats (...but I might get them anyway), I'm really hoping my "basic" Signature will come in under $100K. I haven't budgeted for more than that, and I felt I was leaving a generous allowance for the "Signature premium".

On another topic, if michiganmodels or someone else in Detroit will be able to offer the use of an HPC, I may have found a way to get from Ithaca, NY to Grand Rapids in one day in the model S (a trip which might happen in December 2012)... there seem to be kind Tesla owners or future owners in Buffalo and Rochester, so that would do it. It's looking like the network of model S owners will be *large* (compared to the network of Roadster owners) so a number of trips may become quite easy. I wish Tesla would finalize pricing and availability on charging options; I'm kind of cooling my heels waiting to see when I can call my electricians.

I don't think you'll have a problem keeping the price under $100k neroden.

I agree about the owner's network. The challenge will be making the HPC available to travelers without having to stay home to open the garage. That means installing the HPC outside which means either the HPC will be weatherproof or we'll need to rig some kind of cover or mini-shed for it if we don't have a big enough overhang next to the garage.

I have a feeling the Model S will have no problem going viral. I believe most of the initial reservation holders are like myself (i.e., can't speak enough about their Model S; shares the information with family and friends, etc. Annoys the wife with incessant "Model S Conversations"). That being said, I believe it is safe to forecast for every early adopter Model S reservation holder, one to three friends/neighbors will seriously consider or commit upon delivery.

I think the biggest risk comes from places which are really far from the nearest store/service center. One question I got was "Who services it?" I told them about the Rangers, and the next question was "So, how far away is the nearest center?" Where I am, when the answer is 300 miles people can just about be convinced, but 500 miles, and they can't be.

Hence the importance of rolling out a good geographical distribution of service centers, something which Tesla has completely failed to do so far. Nothing between Chicago and the East Coast. Nothing between DC and Florida. To be fair, the distribution of stores in *Western Europe* is pretty good -- compare it to the total of three stores east of the Mississippi and north of the Mason-Dixon line, which is dreadful. (New York, Chicago, and Toronto, for reference.)

The number of stores Tesla has is currently overkill for Roadster volume. We may not think it is adequate because they are too far apart, but at the small volumes Tesla has been doing so far - those stores can not possibly be generating enough revenue.
I bet that Tesla could actually sell all of 2013s production to people living within 300 miles of the existing stores ( ignoring 2012 since 2012 is already sold out )

It would make a lot of sense to start adding stores in 2013, but I would not be shocked to see progress on it slow in 2012.

What do you think the break even point is on a store?
How many vehicles per year do you think a store has to sell to do that?
They only plan to sell 20,000 - 35,000 vehicles per year from 2013 - 2016 ( whenever Bluestar is in full production )

What do you think the break even point is on a store?
How many vehicles per year do you think a store has to sell to do that?

The important question is how many vehicles per year a *service center* has to *service* in order to "break even", and that is NOT a large number.

EDIT: I'd estimate between 1000 and 2000 depending on how much trouble they are. Perhaps fewer.

Last edited:
Since I'm not getting Sport *or* the panoramic roof *or* the 21" wheels, and I don't need the rear-facing child seats (...but I might get them anyway), I'm really hoping my "basic" Signature will come in under $100K. I haven't budgeted for more than that, and I felt I was leaving a generous allowance for the "Signature premium".

On another topic, if michiganmodels or someone else in Detroit will be able to offer the use of an HPC, I may have found a way to get from Ithaca, NY to Grand Rapids in one day in the model S (a trip which might happen in December 2012)... there seem to be kind Tesla owners or future owners in Buffalo and Rochester, so that would do it. It's looking like the network of model S owners will be *large* (compared to the network of Roadster owners) so a number of trips may become quite easy. I wish Tesla would finalize pricing and availability on charging options; I'm kind of cooling my heels waiting to see when I can call my electricians.

Regarding the HPC, if anyone needs to recharge at my house, I'm open to anyone stopping by (you can send me a message through this forum).

I believe Tesla will be opening 12 more stores in 2012*, and will most like follow Apple's strategy for retail. Apple's strategy back in 2001 was to open an Apple Store within 15 miles of 1/3 of the US population. Like Apple stores, Tesla stores are relatively low cost to open ($1 Million per store) and are a great ROI compared to the traditional car dealership model (i.e., notice how the reservations increase when a store opens or the Model S takes a "tour").**

* http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/ABEA-4CW8X0/1381231132x0x494001/dd297293-ec2d-4dc5-8db4-63d491fb6bd0/Company_Overview_Q3_2011.pdf

** ifoAppleStore - Stores Population Density

Last edited: