Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S ride quality vs Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately no note of the Raven adaptive suspension here - which is the game changer for me. Keeps the car level and planted on bumpy UK roads that throw the less tuned Model 3/Y off the line.

As far as driving satisfaction goes - nothing matches watching a noisy Italian of German fade in the rear view mirror.
Its there, not sure why you can't see it:

tesla-info said:
There was one last significant update in 2019 before production eventually stopped in 2020. Tesla changed the air suspension to be a smart system, they changed the motors to include a permanent magnet version which allowed one foot driving. They also switched to calling the models Long Range and Performance. These changes collectively became known as the Raven model. They made a further tweak resulting in the Long Range+.

Slightly better maybe, the M3 is still a bit of a tin can. The laminated glass makes very little difference.

well, when I took the loaner 2020 reg m3 LR, the difference was really noticeable

My 2p, I think the later cars are a better but I'm not sure how much that's down to laminated glass. I wonder if that's there for reducing heat loss as much as sound insulation. The rest of the car is fairly light on sound deadening materials and I feel a lot of the noise comes through suspension and tyre noise which would be dealt with in a different way.

I have a question. My 2019 M3P has a lot of wind noise coming from around the top of the drivers window, really noticeable above 65-70 mph. It's one of the main reasons I would think twice about getting another Model 3.

Are MIC/2022 models any better in this regard?

I have a question. My 2019 M3P has a lot of wind noise coming from around the top of the drivers window, really noticeable above 65-70 mph. It's one of the main reasons I would think twice about getting another Model 3.

Are MIC/2022 models any better in this regard?
I don’t think your issue is related to year or location of production… my 2019 car doesn’t have noticeable wind noise until well into license losing territory.

Reactions: rincewind
I don’t think your issue is related to year or location of production… my 2019 car doesn’t have noticeable wind noise until well into license losing territory.
I think it can be partly down to build quality. The MIC are more consistent whereas you can get some poor MIA examples with badly aligned roof panels that contribute to noise.

Reactions: rincewind
I'd also go for a dodgy panel gap causing the wind noise rather than an inherent design change that reduces wind noise. I've seen people selling rubber kits that you kind of stick between doors and body and so on that are meant to help, not sure I'd want to start going to far down that route but as a quick test maybe duct tape over some of the worst looking gaps and see if that improves the situation and if you find a particular cause it's a clue to how to solve. I share your annoyance though, our Model S had a whistling noise from the wing mirror which was never solved. Plan B is turn up the stereo.

Its there, not sure why you can't see it:
Its not if you actually read what you posted.
It says "There was one last significant update in 2019 before production eventually stopped in 2020. Tesla changed the air suspension to be a smart system, they changed the motors to include a permanent magnet version which allowed one foot driving. They also switched to calling the models Long Range and Performance. These changes collectively became known as the Raven model. They made a further tweak resulting in the Long Range+."

They completely missed the point that the Raven suspension is adaptive (or perhaps you don't know that adaptive means it adjusts the damping and rebound characteristics - not just the ride height which was present earlier)

I'd also go for a dodgy panel gap causing the wind noise rather than an inherent design change that reduces wind noise. I've seen people selling rubber kits that you kind of stick between doors and body and so on that are meant to help, not sure I'd want to start going to far down that route but as a quick test maybe duct tape over some of the worst looking gaps and see if that improves the situation and if you find a particular cause it's a clue to how to solve. I share your annoyance though, our Model S had a whistling noise from the wing mirror which was never solved. Plan B is turn up the stereo.
I've done the full rubber kit traetment, secondary door seals, roof rubber band, blocked various places with rubber - hasn't made any difference. Tesla replaced the door seal, which didn't make much difference except to move the start point for the noise from 45 to around 55-60. I then had a tech adjust the window - nope. It's 99% certain to be where the window meets the seal, but it doesn't seem fixable.

I've done the full rubber kit traetment, secondary door seals, roof rubber band, blocked various places with rubber - hasn't made any difference. Tesla replaced the door seal, which didn't make much difference except to move the start point for the noise from 45 to around 55-60. I then had a tech adjust the window - nope. It's 99% certain to be where the window meets the seal, but it doesn't seem fixable.
Have you tried blue painters tape? And crawling in another door for the test drive?