Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S ride quality vs Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Huge difference between 2018 vs 2019. Raven started in early 2019. Better ride and big jump in range with Raven.

I always find it ironic people concerned about ride quality and yet they purchase the worst configurations. M3P (with 20”) will ride harsher than M3 LR. Also 20” is more road noise.

Also people generally don’t get sick from a harsh ride. They get sick from poor EV driving habits. You can make any passenger ill in any Tesla with any config.

You could balance a wine glass on your head when I drive. ;)

I got rid of my M3 (stealth P) for a harsh ride (nobody ever got sick, including my sensitive dogs). It wasn’t terrible but I wanted better. I went to a Model X (20” summer, 19” winter). It is much more floaty but still handles better than any other SUV. Quietness was acceptable. Now moved Model S Refresh (19” inch) is slightly firmer. Handles better. A smidge more quiet than the X. Good compromise (handling, noise, range, efficiency, harshness).
+1 for the Raven. The adaptive suspension is a game changer and with a few tweaks makes the car tossable, flat and controlled around corners but smooth and quiet on the motorway. Hardly makes the S a driver's car, but then neither is a 3.

Throw in the efficiency and the range - its still the EV to beat - (till the Lucid gets here).

Reactions: ArunG
What I would say about the shift to the Model 3 (and now Model Y) is how much faster everything about rapid charging is. The Model S (and admittedly mine were 90’s) took realistically twice as long to add a similar range to the Model 3/Y, both because charge rates are lower, especially on V3 chargers, and you get more miles per kWh added. If that’s not a concern then great but might be a shock if going from a 3 to a S.
I’ve certainly noticed that when I arrive at a Supercharger with a Model S already at another stall… I charge my 3 and invariably when I’m leaving I see that the S is still charging.

I’ve certainly noticed that when I arrive at a Supercharger with a Model S already at another stall… I charge my 3 and invariably when I’m leaving I se
Could be on free supercharging and getting every penny...
and the larger battery and range on the MS.

This YT video covers the main points - same efficiency on the road, but larger range means less time spent with the riff-raff at unlocked superchargers…..;)

Only test drove a model S once. Ride quality was noticeably better immediately than our M3LR with aero 18" wheels but not in a completely different league. Handling not quite as sharp though.

I find the M3 ride quality is particularly sensitive to any pressure imbalance between tyres. Worth checking.

3 is a nimble small car. Best for crowded cities and small parking spots.
S is a comfortable GT Road Car. Combination of air suspension, adaptive shocks, dual pane windows and all aluminum construction makes is the superior comfort car.

The Raven upgrade made the biggerst difference. The new refresh has even better adaptive suspension, better isolation and active noise supression (not yet enabled). Will be the smoothest, quietest and yet best handling at speed Tesla yet. The S is still the fastest Tesla on the Ring.

Reactions: DelPhonic1
3 is a nimble small car. Best for crowded cities and small parking spots.

Ha ha!! (This is one of the reasons we have the UK/Ireland section of the forum) The Model 3 is a large car here. It barely fits into standard UK parking bays without risking damage from door opening of adjacent cars ... small parking spots (those regarded as small in the UK) are no-go. However your general points are well made ... the S and 3 are different beasts...

Those comparing the M3 and MS and wondering why the S (or X) isn’t cheaper should note that the 3 (and Y) were designed to be mass produced. The process for assembling the S or X is longer and more complex, so not entirely surprising that the cheaper editions just aren’t available new anymore and they’re limiting the number of options too.

Reactions: Beady3647
Obviously not, as you can't get them in the UK yet. ;)
Well when you do, Plaid pins at 250kwh above 10% after pre-conditioning before the curve sets in, fwiw. Since it does this so quickly and easily, I can see it going higher once they either increase the kWh on v3's and when v4 superchargers come out. Using CCS adapter on an EA, it hits about 200kwh on the 350kwh EA chargers and the curve seems less steep than superchargers.

and the larger battery and range on the MS.

This YT video covers the main points - same efficiency on the road, but larger range means less time spent with the riff-raff at unlocked superchargers…..;)
Typical Symons though, the Model 3 charges much faster so when you do need to charge, you'll spend a lot less time there.

There seems like that there are so many different versions of the MS...is there an easy to follow chart of the differences anywhere?
This might be useful. it talks of the 7 phases of the Model S

Reactions: Bouba
Typical Symons though, the Model 3 charges much faster so when you do need to charge, you'll spend a lot less time there.

This might be useful. it talks of the 7 phases of the Model S

Unfortunately no note of the Raven adaptive suspension here - which is the game changer for me. Keeps the car level and planted on bumpy UK roads that throw the less tuned Model 3/Y off the line.

As far as driving satisfaction goes - nothing matches watching a noisy Italian of German fade in the rear view mirror.