Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Software/Firmware Updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Video is uploading. It will be live here in ~2 hours: Tesla Model S 1.17.50 (v4) Update - YouTube

Ben, fantastic video. Really well done. I don't have the update yet, but I now feel like I'm prepared for it. I also sent it to a new owner who feels pretty lost (got his car and the update yesterday), and it really helped him a lot.

I agree with you on the loss of the trip info and hope/assume Tesla takes your feedback. Really, you should be a consultant for them! I can't wait to see your video when they introduce the mobile app!

FYI -- your range is always based on the previous 30 miles, unless you reset it in the Driving control screen, no matter which screen (5/15/30) you are looking at on your energy usage.

No longer true with version 4. And projected range can no longer be shown on the instrument cluster.

- - - Updated - - -

Projected was 65 this morning with ~150 ideal ( I think I had it in the 30 mi screen)

Ideal or rated? There's a difference in version 4. ("Ideal" didn't actually exist as a term for the Model S until version 4)
I personally would never use ideal -- that's the 300-mile scale which requires VERY careful 55-MPH driving (in theory). Rated is the newer 265-mile scale.

There's a few OTA tweaks taking place and it's possible to get the tweaks before you get the complete update. This can cause some weird messages and it seems like this happened to me today as the car just disconnected itself from the bluetooth connection on my phone. Then told me the car needed service. I spoke to our local Service Manager and was advised to do a center screen reset and drive the car: that fixed the messages and the bt problem, then my ambient lights started buzzing this evening and the navigation map showed me driving all over the fields but not on the road I was actually driving on. Nothing affected the drivability of the car and the nav directions were good, just the center screen map was all over the place. I agreed with our Service Manager to leave it tonight as it seems like the update is coming any minute now.

Moral of the story: If you see odd stuff like this stay calm, the update is on it's way to you and if you've got worries just call Tesla.

Moral of the story: If you see odd stuff like this stay calm, the update is on it's way to you and if you've got worries just call Tesla.

Good suggestion. I got the "Service Required -- low power" message on Monday night after coming home from a long weekend when I didn't drive the car. I got the error message yesterday, but not today. I feel like a little kid hoping to see that alarm clock icon on the top every time I get in the car. Still waiting patiently...

Good suggestion. I got the "Service Required -- low power" message on Monday night after coming home from a long weekend when I didn't drive the car. I got the error message yesterday, but not today. I feel like a little kid hoping to see that alarm clock icon on the top every time I get in the car. Still waiting patiently...
I've already had all of the error messages. I want my update! I am NOT waiting patiently. Waaaa! Waaaaa! - end tantrum.

I've already had all of the error messages. I want my update! I am NOT waiting patiently. Waaaa! Waaaaa! - end tantrum.

My experience is that the that there seem to be more than one "4.0" release. I've posted in other threads but my experience was that many problems as reported here were there in the 4.0 version as delivered on Saturday. I had Tesla service download my error logs and they said there would be a new 'update' to 4.0 that should fix the problems. Sunday morning there was another update posted to my car, still "4.0". I called them to be sure they wanted me to install this update, and the word was 'yes' this is an update to fix the errors they saw on my car from the day before.

So I said 'install now' (takes 30-40 minutes to install, be patient. You car power on and off, relays click, displays come on, off then back on eventually. Its weird to watch). Once updated and the car has rebooted for the final time..... PERFECTION! It really did solve the bugs and this is the "real 4.0" SW.

Its probably not all bad to wait until they get all this straight. Having said that I was (and am) super excited about the 4.0 feature. Auto-extending handles, much better USB music browsing, the new Energy app, location-aware homelink, etc. are fabulous. You'll get it soon I'm sure.

It's great Tesla can make update that affect core elements of the car, but the ex-medical software engineer in me is a bit horrified. We had to pass FDA clearance on every software release to prove we'd do no harm. Tesla is making changes to how the car actually drives, the motor, the regen, etc. Some of that is literally in the realm of life critical safety. God forbid a bug occur where some race condition causes the "creep" feature to floor the accelerator. And before anyone says "that won't happen", first I'm a developer and I can assure you it's tremendously hard to prove it won't (whole realms of research exist on such things), and second I refer you to classics on how this stuff occurs such as the Therac-25 where obscure bugs literally killed people.

Updates that are just UI stuff, I'm good (which is the vast bulk of this 4.0 update, except a "throttle control" bit). Updates that affect actual motor/drive/steering functionality, I really want the government to come up to speed and regulate those releases the same way they do other safety critical devices. Can you imagine airline software updated that way? Air traffic control? Pacemakers? Even if I have faith in Tesla, there needs to be independent checks and balances on critical software changes.

Lol, funny how just a week ago we thought the auto extending handles might never come and now my car will have them already working when I pick it up.

The handles are awesome! Everytime you walk up to your car when people are staring at it and they look at you wondering if it might be yours? then the handles just magically pop out! Priceless!

In rain they help a bit too

I finally read the update and drove another 250 miles today and like the new style of energy screen very much. I did a range charge and had 315 Miles Ideal pretty awesome car I say. She treats me well - how did I get so lucky?

Is the car a little faster now with the new throttle response?? I'm breaking traction a little easier at the bottom in straight line and 25 mph range and the roads were dryer today

"Officer, it's hard to explain. Tess turned into Christine. I promise it wasn't me that floored it."

I wonder if I can get away with that one a couple of times.
We joke about it, but he has a valid point.

I work in software development and I know anything can happen.

We once had an issue where a really rare and weird follow-up of events let to the removal of 100k e-mail accounts... We also never saw that one coming.

Sent from my phone, so my apologies for typos.

I joke because it amuses me, and hopefully others.

That doesn't take anything away from his completely valid point that software is (usually) complicated to get right and marrying it to a missile... err, spaceship... is uniquely terrifying if you don't have confidence in the designers, coders, testers, etc.

I fully agree 100%. Even if it means that updates come much less frequently. I was originally under the impression that only UI software could be updated remotely.

It's great Tesla can make update that affect core elements of the car, but the ex-medical software engineer in me is a bit horrified. We had to pass FDA clearance on every software release to prove we'd do no harm. Tesla is making changes to how the car actually drives, the motor, the regen, etc. Some of that is literally in the realm of life critical safety. God forbid a bug occur where some race condition causes the "creep" feature to floor the accelerator. And before anyone says "that won't happen", first I'm a developer and I can assure you it's tremendously hard to prove it won't (whole realms of research exist on such things), and second I refer you to classics on how this stuff occurs such as the Therac-25 where obscure bugs literally killed people.

Updates that are just UI stuff, I'm good (which is the vast bulk of this 4.0 update, except a "throttle control" bit). Updates that affect actual motor/drive/steering functionality, I really want the government to come up to speed and regulate those releases the same way they do other safety critical devices. Can you imagine airline software updated that way? Air traffic control? Pacemakers? Even if I have faith in Tesla, there needs to be independent checks and balances on critical software changes.