Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Software/Firmware Updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I may not be super-happy that my "projected" range has been trending to about 180 rather than 240 or higher, but that seems to be the reality for driving around Seattle in the dark and rain (early morning & late evening commutes). The remaining rated miles seems to be fairly accurate for the driving conditions.

With the new update, it says they don't have "projected" range available anymore. I get that they might be getting negative reactions to the projected number, but it seems to me to be the only accurate measure of my typical range.

I like that they can provide some target mileage that will train drivers - but when it's cold (heater), dark (headlights) and raining (wiper motor), and hilly, the Rated or Ideal miles remaining are completely inapplicable.

I vote for adding back Predicted, along with Rated and Ideal.

Haven't received the update yet, but I agree. Projected range is nice to have when you are encountering a strong headwind or know you are facing a long uphill drive, but not good news in the showroom. So, pull projected from the demo cars and give it back to the owners....

Haven't received the update yet, but I agree. Projected range is nice to have when you are encountering a strong headwind or know you are facing a long uphill drive, but not good news in the showroom. So, pull projected from the demo cars and give it back to the owners....

According to the notes you still have it, it is just on the energy display rather than the speedometer.
This is a very minor issue if you ask me. I mean look at this update, we get a range setting for HVAC, voice controls, auto extending door handles, dramatically lower vampire load, USB browsing, etc.
Much of this I was expecting, but not all this quick!

Nope, plenty of people who got theirs before mine have gotten their update. Mine? Not so much.

They're not necessarily in order ... e.g. mine, which is because of the iPhone beta testing I'm doing. Prior to that situation, I had to call someone to get mine updated after I saw VINs way later than me getting 1.15.8 ...

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not happy with the quality of the video with respect to your ability to see text on the screen. I'm debating re-taking it but maybe I'll finish up editing this one, post it, and you can tell me if you want me to redo it :smile:

If iTunes folders copied to the stick, will it play the copy-protected stuff bought from Apple?

I really doubt the Model S can directly play .m4p (protected AAC audio) files of a USB stick. You have a few options though:

- Store them on an iPod/iPhone and play them from that device

- Re-download your music from the ITMS. Apple has moved most songs from "iTunes" format to "iTunes Plus" format. In addition to being a higher bandwidth/quality recording, they dropped the FairPlay protection and ship these files in straight .m4a (AAC audio) format. If the Model S can't play that file, you can always use iTunes to directly convert .m4a files into .mp3 files.

- If you can't download a non-protected audio file from iTunes, you can always get rid of the encryption by burning the music to an audio CD and then ripping it back into your computer using iTunes. When you rip the music back off the CD, the protection is gone.

@napabill - protected itunes content will only play in itunes (unless you strip DRM from it - lots of apps available to do that). Without DRM stripping, model S won't play the protected files.

Also confirmed that when coming out of the new sleep mode, your USB stick is reparsed. My USB stick with 2,300 or so tracks takes just under a minute. I can switch to FM while waiting but somewhat annoying.

If tesla reading this, I would recommend either saving the USB file structure during sleep (obviously would need to handle case of USB unplug/modify/plug back in when car is asleep), or being able to set times of day car should be awake (thereby making sure my car is ready for me at all my "normal" times) or make sure that the mobile app has a "send wake" command so I can start the cars boot sequence as I leave my office.

johngray said:
I may not be super-happy that my "projected" range has been trending to about 180 rather than 240 or higher, but that seems to be the reality for driving around Seattle in the dark and rain (early morning & late evening commutes). The remaining rated miles seems to be fairly accurate for the driving conditions.

With the new update, it says they don't have "projected" range available anymore. I get that they might be getting negative reactions to the projected number, but it seems to me to be the only accurate measure of my typical range.

I like that they can provide some target mileage that will train drivers - but when it's cold (heater), dark (headlights) and raining (wiper motor), and hilly, the Rated or Ideal miles remaining are completely inapplicable.

I vote for adding back Predicted, along with Rated and Ideal.

According to the notes you still have it, it is just on the energy display rather than the speedometer.
This is a very minor issue if you ask me. I mean look at this update, we get a range setting for HVAC, voice controls, auto extending door handles, dramatically lower vampire load, USB browsing, etc.
Much of this I was expecting, but not all this quick!

Yes, there are some powerful steps forward, but IMHO this is a step backwards. When I look at the speedometer, I want to see a range that takes into account my recent driving conditions, my recent driving habits, and my recent HVAC use. These factors can dramatically decrease my range from the "best case" scenarios. And I want to be able to define the look back interval (a few miles if conditions have recently changed, longer intervals if conditions are more static). Sounds like the energy calculations now revert back to "Instant", whenever you shut off the car. An instant projected reading is just as "useful" as the EPA cycle, or the "Ideal" Tesla ranges. (Show those for comparison if you want on the energy app, but keep my range reading on the speedometer clean and realistic.) (Can't read any fine print in the accessory screens on the instrument panel without reading glasses, so information in these aren't that useful for me.)

For the iTunes m4a I have played plenty in a USB stick in a test drive. Not sure if only old sings have the drm, but it worked fine for me.

For the USB stick having to reload that doesn't sound good, but hopefully when the hd is accessible it won't matter anyway. Does it at least resume your song where you left off once loaded?

I'm not happy with the quality of the video with respect to your ability to see text on the screen. I'm debating re-taking it but maybe I'll finish up editing this one, post it, and you can tell me if you want me to redo it :smile:

I re-recorded the video and it's rendering now. Between the render and uploading to Youtube, it'll be available in the wee hours of the morning (EST). Youtube's also currently in a read-only mode -- not sure how long that'll last. The video won't show up until that maintenance / problem is done. It's coming! :smile:

It is a nice update. The auto presenting handles are Awesome in the rain! and the new energy graph stye is much more pleasing to look at. My car was one of the last ones put out with the last firmware on Saturday and I didn't do my update until yesterday at 2am so I had a day with each firmware.

Edit: Ok, I see where I don't like the change that was mentioned upthread. The little bar that has projected - ideal and the difference is gone in the trip screen that I was driving with on my long drive - that one was nice
energy graph - I might have had on night mode - I like it better even in the day but I need to turn up the brightness to full for day / make a day/night profile

Last edited:
Thanks for the video Ben! Voice control looks cool for searching slacker. I thought it would play your songs though in the USB or hd eventually, but I guess that's still cool. Strange you have to touch the screen after voice control as the whole point should be hands free.

Looking forward to your throttle response comments and seeing the sleep mode wake up.

Didn't get a video of it or time it -- but I followed my routine for work in the morning minus removing the charge cable as I left it disconnected overnight. So I walked up to the car (which unlocked and auto-presented the handles), opened the rear door and dumped my laptop and coat in the back. Closed rear door, opened driver door, got in, buckled up, and got comfortable. In that time, both screens had just fully booted.