Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Software/Firmware Updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has any signature owner here not gotten 4.0 or 4.1? My parents are throwing a Tesla party and inviting a bunch of people over today since I'm here to see the car and was hoping to have the auto-extending handles. Tried to get them to push the update but no go. Seems odd that all new cars have it and even new cars that don't have it seem to get the update immediately but they can't update all the Sigs and early production cars as well. Guess it will happen eventually.

Nada here, even though I was told about 3 weeks back they were pushing it to me.

Nada here, even though I was told about 3 weeks back they were pushing it to me.

I still have the original software as well. My understanding is that they're pushing the new software to new owners because otherwise they'd potentially have lots of bugs and obviously don't want that. If we aren't having problems, the theory is if it ain't broke, don't fix it, so we'll be last to get the update because we are OK with our existing software.

I think once they stop the massive push for deliveries this year, they'll have enough of a slowdown in deliveries that they'll be able to push it out to us some time early next year. I was told not to expect it before then.

Dsm, I think the same thing every time I show someone the car how it would be cooler to have 4.1 features, but the people you are showing couldn't care less -- it's still the coolest, most technologically advanced car they've ever seen.

Dsm, I think the same thing every time I show someone the car how it would be cooler to have 4.1 features, but the people you are showing couldn't care less -- it's still the coolest, most technologically advanced car they've ever seen.

Good point. I can simulate it with the keyfob in my pocket and tell them I already have it on my car and it's delivered on all new cars.

Dave

I still have the original software as well. My understanding is that they're pushing the new software to new owners because otherwise they'd potentially have lots of bugs and obviously don't want that. If we aren't having problems, the theory is if it ain't broke, don't fix it, so we'll be last to get the update because we are OK with our existing software.

I think once they stop the massive push for deliveries this year, they'll have enough of a slowdown in deliveries that they'll be able to push it out to us some time early next year. I was told not to expect it before then.

Ditto here. I took delivery on 10/31 and still no update.

Good point. I can simulate it with the keyfob in my pocket and tell them I already have it on my car and it's delivered on all new cars.

Dave

Was told yesterday by a Tesla Service Mgr that they have known software issues with the handles, and have stopped rolling out new updates beyond 1.19.31. Apparently, internally, they are already 4 versions beyond that.

For the most crucial things the car works flawlessly, but I got use to using googlemaps to watch traffic where I was going and since sometime in November, that part of the software only works sporadically. Wish I could at least get that function back.

For the most crucial things the car works flawlessly, but I got use to using googlemaps to watch traffic where I was going and since sometime in November, that part of the software only works sporadically. Wish I could at least get that function back.

I've not had problems with traffic feature, in SF area. But I do find that if there is a navigation going, the route colored line obscures the traffic in the area you really need it.

Send a note t ownership. I had some bugs in my software, including with the Nav system, and was able to get it fixed without getting the full update. So far (knock on wood) I haven't had the bugs that originally popped up after a few weeks.

- - - Updated - - -

I've not had problems with traffic feature, in SF area. But I do find that if there is a navigation going, the route colored line obscures the traffic in the area you really need it.

Definitely a point that needs to be fixed in a future update.

Does anyone know, definitively (no speculation), what is the difference between 4.1 (1.19.29) and 4.1 (1.19.31)? We were upgraded to the former (.29) after our recent service visit to fix our primary charger. Others received (.31) around the same time. I am wondering whether to bug Tesla about the distinction.

Definitely a point that needs to be fixed in a future update.

Admittedly, this is how the Navigation on my Android phone works. If I want to see the traffic on the route I have to use the traffic layer and then it will show the traffic flow. Otherwise, it's just the blue line with a clock that is either green, yellow or red.

I say this because it may not be something that Tesla can change as that is part of Google Navigation.

Only 2 days with the 4.1 / 1.19.31 software..

Sunroof issue is definitely the result of the update. Never had a pause. Now I do.
Homelink geo fencing is cool but needs 100ft added to the fencing.
Mirror settings seem to have needed reprogramming ... possibly more on this later.
Rear camera seems much more sensitive to happenings on the touchscreen ... as in losing video when an icon is touched.
Voice command doesnt like me yet... but very little use so far.
Gmaps needs time to recover when powered down as 3g connectivity also seems to be cut off during powered down mode.

Thank you for the alpha tab/scroll on phone and music! Sanity restored here!

I think once they stop the massive push for deliveries this year, they'll have enough of a slowdown in deliveries that they'll be able to push it out to us some time early next year. I was told not to expect it before then. ...

Slowdown? Won't happen; they need to increase the rate, if anything, to even track with new rez's , much less shorten the waiting period. What's needed is more/better staffing.

Only 2 days with the 4.1 / 1.19.31 software..

Sunroof issue is definitely the result of the update. Never had a pause. Now I do.
Homelink geo fencing is cool but needs 100ft added to the fencing.
Mirror settings seem to have needed reprogramming ... possibly more on this later.
Rear camera seems much more sensitive to happenings on the touchscreen ... as in losing video when an icon is touched.
Voice command doesnt like me yet... but very little use so far.
Gmaps needs time to recover when powered down as 3g connectivity also seems to be cut off during powered down mode.

Thank you for the alpha tab/scroll on phone and music! Sanity restored here!

I noticed on my recent trip a situation that needs resolution. If you travel into an area with no 3G signal, Gmaps starts flaking, but the Navigon map on the driver screen keeps on, as I understand it has preloaded maps. Problem is, if you stop and exit the car while still in that dead area, when you restart, the Navigon maps are now gone as well. If you are at a point when directional decisions are required, problem.

Has any signature owner here not gotten 4.0 or 4.1? My parents are throwing a Tesla party and inviting a bunch of people over today since I'm here to see the car and was hoping to have the auto-extending handles. Tried to get them to push the update but no go. Seems odd that all new cars have it and even new cars that don't have it seem to get the update immediately but they can't update all the Sigs and early production cars as well. Guess it will happen eventually.

No updates for me so far. I took delivery 12/4. Stuck on 1.15.14.
I'll give it another week or so before calling TM to find out why I seem to be in limbo.
Looking forward to all the cool features available with the latest updates (minus the bugs:smile:).

No update yet for me either. Service said they were going to call central to ask for a push last week, but no completed download yet. Fortunately I have a stable software version, but I'm killing some dinosaurs in the garage since I don't have sleep mode.

I noticed on my recent trip a situation that needs resolution. If you travel into an area with no 3G signal, Gmaps starts flaking, but the Navigon map on the driver screen keeps on, as I understand it has preloaded maps. Problem is, if you stop and exit the car while still in that dead area, when you restart, the Navigon maps are now gone as well. If you are at a point when directional decisions are required, problem.
Shouldn't you be able to enter an address on the google map screen and have it kick on the Navigon turn-by-turn? That was how I was told it would work.

Just for the sake of a data point, after my car was parked for over a week while I was out of town, I drove it home. The following day, I drove it to the store and back, and upon my return, I was notified that an update was available. I let it take the update last night, and I got 1.19.31. It seems to be working fine. I think the display sleep might be happening more consistently than with the original 4.0 update. I don't notice any other issues, although I did have one strange glitch where I think the navigation system may have crashed the first time I used it post-update. I selected a destination, and it showed me the route, but I got no navigation on the left side of the speedo. A little while later, I noticed that the navigation box on the main display (where it usually shows you the list of turns and the Cancel button) said "Navigation system initializing". Then the map appeared to the left of the speedo and all was well.

Just for the sake of a data point, after my car was parked for over a week while I was out of town, I drove it home. The following day, I drove it to the store and back, and upon my return, I was notified that an update was available. I let it take the update last night, and I got 1.19.31. It seems to be working fine. I think the display sleep might be happening more consistently than with the original 4.0 update. I don't notice any other issues, although I did have one strange glitch where I think the navigation system may have crashed the first time I used it post-update. I selected a destination, and it showed me the route, but I got no navigation on the left side of the speedo. A little while later, I noticed that the navigation box on the main display (where it usually shows you the list of turns and the Cancel button) said "Navigation system initializing". Then the map appeared to the left of the speedo and all was well.

I noticed .31 sleeping "too well"... I have the display set not to sleep, and an hour after walking into the store and returning, the displays booted from sleep mode.