Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Software/Firmware Updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the charge mode timer, nope :(
Surprised it is taking so long (I had it from start with roadster #105). I also live in the metered electricity land and my night rate is 1/8 my day rate during summer (not as bad ratio during winter).

Should also note that the official version of update is 1.17.50 (even though it says version 4 on release notes).

So far is great. Door handles working without a flaw. Like the new right scroll wheel UI (can control sunroof, fan speed, etc). Car was in sleep mode when I checked it this morning - the resume from sleep time appears to be about 15 seconds or so (which is surprising as most mobile chips have a resume from suspend measured in the 300ms range as system memory is preserved in a self refresh mode - I suspect that tesla is shutting the system down and rebooting instead of using a suspend state).

Presumably there are other things going on such as pressurizing the brakes and doing the pre-flight check.

15 seconds guestimate from key being detected. Once I entered car was another 8 seconds or so of boot time. Caveat here was this was first wakeup since the OTA so it may have had more initialization work to do. Need to idle the car for a couple hours before I can test it again. Did not strike me as too painful. By time I could get seatbelt on, etc, would be done.

Have not been able to test throttle response yet (have to help wife this morning). And I don't know if I can give anything other than a swag guess at changes since I do not have a reference point from before update.

If we really want to know differences from the throttle control in terms of absolute numbers, someone should time their 0-60 prior to the update and then right after. Unfortunately I can't do that anymore...

reverse mirror tilt busted.

acceleration does seem to be improved (could be placebo). i'm not in a good area for 0 to 60 yet but will try that next.
voice command works well (better than my wife's MB).

i did have my first door handle issue (had to lock then unlock car) but currently think it is unrelated to update.

overall :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah - so right you are. Reverse tilt not busted - just the setting was erased. Restoring it is a bit finicky. Need to wait until dialog goes away asking if you want to save it to your profile, then it is saved for reverse.

Finally got a chance to get out and test out the acceleration. I don't have a pre-update baseline so the number is pretty meaningless but I got a 4.4 from a creep forward start.

- - - Updated - - -

After checking internet for rolling start times I am pretty sure that acceleration has improved. I have the standar 85kw model. Looks like a rolling start should shave off about 0.5s from the official 0-60 time of 5.6. Now I could be off by .1 or .2 seconds with my phone's stopwatch app. I am not going to be 0.7s off though.

Would be very interested if someone who has already timed their 0-60 pre-update could test again post-update.

Does anyone know what order or methodology is used when sending out the SW updates?

My Model S is garaged in a "fringe" of ATT's cell towers such that I have ZERO 3G and very little Edge connectivity so I'm concerned that I will miss the notice. Is there a point where one can say "I should have been contacted and haven't so should call Tesla support?"

cheers

I have a similar situation and was told that the car will download the update in the background while you're out driving around. I have poor signal in my garage and have received one update so far.

Yesterday, Nov 30, I got in my S, and there was a digital clock showing with 2:00AM showing . It said that an update would occur at that time. There was also a button that allowed you to bypass that time and do the update then, which is what I did. Went fine and about 1.5 hours later, it was finished.

Not really. I assume it does what the Roadster does, which is limits maximum power (hence acceleration) to help you hypermile. It would be cool if it also made the regen a little more aggressive, but I doubt that.
I thought the same thing... but the release notes are very specific that it dials back the efficiency of the climate control. It does NOT state anything about limiting power or acceleration like the roadster does. So for now, the "range" driving mode may not affect power, just climate control, which I can imagine makes a bit of difference, but not like the roadster where you immediately notice less power and acceleration but you see your range jump up by quite a bit.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a bit of news... just back from the Factory with my new Model S. (VIN 1299). See my full post about factory delivery elsewhere on the board, but of relevance to this board is this: Starting YESTERDAY, 11/30/12, all vehicles have 4.0 software installed at the factory. Mine had it and my DS told me that yesterday was his first delivery with the new software and he's had to learn a bunch of changes to his training as a result. Says all new cars now have it. No waiting for download on your first night at home.