TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model S Software/Firmware Updates

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by dsm363, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Good to see that Range Mode (driving) is back.

No charge timer yet?

2. Rich105

Rich105 Member

On the charge mode timer, nope :(
    Surprised it is taking so long (I had it from start with roadster #105). I also live in the metered electricity land and my night rate is 1/8 my day rate during summer (not as bad ratio during winter).

Should also note that the official version of update is 1.17.50 (even though it says version 4 on release notes).

3. Trnsl8r

Trnsl8r S85 since 12/8/12, X90 since 12/20/16

Range mode driving... Does that mean the 265 mile rated range can be adjusted upwards?

4. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Presumably there are other things going on such as pressurizing the brakes and doing the pre-flight check.

5. contaygious

contaygious Active Member

15 seconds? Is this from when the key is detected as described it door opened? Sounds too slow to use IMO.

Can you comment on the performance difference with throttle response? Thx

6. Rich105

Rich105 Member

15 seconds guestimate from key being detected. Once I entered car was another 8 seconds or so of boot time. Caveat here was this was first wakeup since the OTA so it may have had more initialization work to do. Need to idle the car for a couple hours before I can test it again. Did not strike me as too painful. By time I could get seatbelt on, etc, would be done.

Have not been able to test throttle response yet (have to help wife this morning). And I don't know if I can give anything other than a swag guess at changes since I do not have a reference point from before update.

If we really want to know differences from the throttle control in terms of absolute numbers, someone should time their 0-60 prior to the update and then right after. Unfortunately I can't do that anymore...

7. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

8. Rich105

Rich105 Member

#268 Rich105, Dec 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2012
    reverse mirror tilt busted.

acceleration does seem to be improved (could be placebo). i'm not in a good area for 0 to 60 yet but will try that next.
    voice command works well (better than my wife's MB).

i did have my first door handle issue (had to lock then unlock car) but currently think it is unrelated to update.

overall :)

9. Vger

Vger Active Member

Not really. I assume it does what the Roadster does, which is limits maximum power (hence acceleration) to help you hypermile. It would be cool if it also made the regen a little more aggressive, but I doubt that.

10. napabill

napabill Active Member

Believe it also throttles back the climate control system.

11. contaygious

contaygious Active Member

Rich try putting car in reverse then adjust the mirrors, it should remember that setting for r.

12. Rich105

Rich105 Member

Ah - so right you are. Reverse tilt not busted - just the setting was erased. Restoring it is a bit finicky. Need to wait until dialog goes away asking if you want to save it to your profile, then it is saved for reverse.

Finally got a chance to get out and test out the acceleration. I don't have a pre-update baseline so the number is pretty meaningless but I got a 4.4 from a creep forward start.

- - - Updated - - -

After checking internet for rolling start times I am pretty sure that acceleration has improved. I have the standar 85kw model. Looks like a rolling start should shave off about 0.5s from the official 0-60 time of 5.6. Now I could be off by .1 or .2 seconds with my phone's stopwatch app. I am not going to be 0.7s off though.

Would be very interested if someone who has already timed their 0-60 pre-update could test again post-update.

13. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Inquiring minds: Measured with...?

Thanks.

14. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

He updated:

Interesting. Wonder what that means for Performance cars.

15. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I hope there's enough metrics data readable by the SDK to capture precise results in the future.

16. Rumbles

Rumbles Sig #540

@rich105 would you mind taking screenshots of the rest of the release notes... That way those of us who are waiting for our updates can drool properly!

17. rbmartin

rbmartin Model S Sig. 517

I have a similar situation and was told that the car will download the update in the background while you're out driving around. I have poor signal in my garage and have received one update so far.

18. napabill

napabill Active Member

Yesterday, Nov 30, I got in my S, and there was a digital clock showing with 2:00AM showing . It said that an update would occur at that time. There was also a button that allowed you to bypass that time and do the update then, which is what I did. Went fine and about 1.5 hours later, it was finished.

19. archibaldcrane

We definitely need some range tests with "Range Mode" turned on ASAP!

20. JoshG

JoshG Member

I thought the same thing... but the release notes are very specific that it dials back the efficiency of the climate control. It does NOT state anything about limiting power or acceleration like the roadster does. So for now, the "range" driving mode may not affect power, just climate control, which I can imagine makes a bit of difference, but not like the roadster where you immediately notice less power and acceleration but you see your range jump up by quite a bit.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a bit of news... just back from the Factory with my new Model S. (VIN 1299). See my full post about factory delivery elsewhere on the board, but of relevance to this board is this: Starting YESTERDAY, 11/30/12, all vehicles have 4.0 software installed at the factory. Mine had it and my DS told me that yesterday was his first delivery with the new software and he's had to learn a bunch of changes to his training as a result. Says all new cars now have it. No waiting for download on your first night at home.