Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Software/Firmware wishlist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure I get how that relates to my issue? Can you tell waze not to use BT as the output source? If so, that has nothing to do with the problem I have.

If you're listening to slacker, the BT audio from your phone is muted.

It is not muted. Waze announcements pause Slacker and are played through car audio.

Because of the way BT works, perhaps it's better to turn off BT at the phone to achieve what you want.

It is not muted. Waze announcements pause Slacker and are played through car audio.

Because of the way BT works, perhaps it's better to turn off BT at the phone to achieve what you want.

I think that's because Waze may be set to send those announcements to the Bluetooth hands-free profile, rather than the Bluetooth audio profile (A2DP).

The iPhone, and Androids for the most part, direct their audio output to a device the presents the A2DP profile. The Model S presents the A2DP and headset profile. Model S tells the phone "Oh, hi, I'm an audio destination AND headset destination." When paired, the phone directs its audio to the device with the active audio profile. Only certain apps - for example, Waze, Google Now, and (gasp) the phone app choose to use the hands-free destination - this is sometimes user-selectable, sometimes not.

Reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Bluetooth_profiles#List_of_profiles

I think what HankLloydRight is asking for is a mixer of audio from the Model S' other media sources (radio, USB, or internet) with the Bluetooth A2DP paired device, so that the alert sounds, etc that are only sent by the phone to A2DP profile when connected can still be heard.

Example:
Model S turns on, pairs with iPhone. Model S tells iPhone it has Hands-Free and A2DP profiles available. iPhone connects to both, but routes its outgoing audio to the A2DP destination, since it's there.
Driver listens to favorite radio station or Slacker radio. A text comes in, and the alert is sent to the Model S A2DP profile - but not played on the speakers.
Model S tells the iPhone that the A2DP profile is still active, but it doesn't mix or interrupt the Slacker radio stream.
Driver never hears the text message alert tone.

In bollar's example, Waze "Uses Bluetooth if available" in its settings.... that means Waze tells the phone to pick up the HANDS FREE profile to send the audio alerts. Model S will then pause the current audio stream - even the A2DP from the phone, if playing! - and play the Waze alert.

bollar, try telling Waze to NOT use Bluetooth, then select your phone as the audio source, and get the Waze navigation. THEN select another source while you're driving, and see if you hear the alerts. Then you'll see what HankLloydRight (and I) are experiencing.

To fix this: Tesla firmware either needs to
- disable it's A2DP profile when that source is not selected.... but this is not preferable, since you won't be able to select the device if it's not connected using the A2DP profile, and not preferable since you won't hear your phone when listening to the other source at hgh volume
- MIX the A2DP input with the current audio source (radio or, Slackr, USB)

Self Signed SSL Certs

I have a site with a self-signed SSL certificate. Rather than allowing you to cache the certificate and confirm an exception the browser prompts every time that the connection is not secure. It becomes a nuisance after a while. The prompts started after 5.9.

I would love to see an exit mode. When you put the car into park a screen shows up asking if you want to exit. If you click yes it closes window's and sunroof. Then puts the seat all the way back to make exit easier.
Would also like to see some kind of drop a pin function with a navigate too option

I had the same problem on our first long trip. I did not find out the Bluetooth was so delayed until the night before the trip!

Fortunately, the Model S is pretty quite, and the kids were able to watch movies using only the iPad's build in speakers...

Or just use a Jambox or similar. Neither is ideal, and mostly we make our kids use headphone anyway, I don't need to be tormented by whatever junk they're listening to :)

- - - Updated - - -

Unfortunately no back up lines on the camera either, of course implementing that at any time may undermine Tesla's attempts to sell parking sensors; arguably a financial dis-incentive for them to even develop the software.

I' not so sure of that. The BU sensors are a surprisingly cheap option (factory fitted, of course), but they compliment the backup guide, and do not detract from the need to have them, at least that was true on my last couple of cars. For me, the largest benefit of the (dynamic) backup guides is that you can see if you're going to bump a curb or not - the Audi system was amazingly precise in that regard.

FWIW, I agree with the general opinion that the maps will be overhauled to pull in some of the richer content available from Waze. I'm less sure about the navigation, since that's a separate deal. And just some more basic intelligence, some of which has been hinted at various points in the past, such as:

- Scheduled pre-cool/heat (ideally self-learned, a la Nest, but manual is fine)
- Geo-fenced suspension
- Less annoying Homelink UI (I'd rather have the option that it just opens when I get within range)
- Weather awareness (via the windscreen rain sensor and internal/external thermostats). i.e. I'd like a 'crack the windows' option, where all windows drop an inch, and the sunroof tilts. I do this every single day at the office. If it rains, close em up. If it stops raining, and the internal temp gets past 100, open them up. Of course, all of this should be configurable, as it's only for use in safe areas.
- Reverse guides
- Blind spot detection (through software based off rear-camera - might not be entirely realistic)
- Fix bluetooth audio (for phone calls, I cannot take a phone call via bluetooth, have tried 3 phones, Service Center unable to recreate...)
- The mobile up could use more functionality, it's not changed since day one as far as I know, aside from bug fixes. The ability to adjust the charge rate (amps) would be nice, to 'see' via the rear camera, could be a fairly pointless, but fun addition (and no more pointless than being able to name your car).
- My #1 requirement, the ability to select the Voice Recognition language. I'd really like UK English, my US accent just doesn't work out well.

My wishlist:
1. A more regular release cadence

My extended wishlist includes:
2. An opt-in program for those of us that don't want to wait for perfection before seeing a new firmware before the sun is done

The "cool kids club" model they use for the current "we'll call you" program leaves much to be desired.

Options I want in 6.0:
- Nav that allows you to point at a spot on the map and save it or navigate there.
- Nav that is integrated with my Google Maps account!
- Nav with built in Waze.
- Geo fenced ride height so the car auto raises before speed bumps and rough driveways.
- Entertainment improvements galore...
- Faster A battery charging at SCs.
- Greatly enhanced access to system data.
- SC current usage info. Could be tied into nav to show your destination.

Obviously, like many others, I don't want that much... ;)

Options I want in 6.0:
- Nav that allows you to point at a spot on the map and save it or navigate there.
- Nav that is integrated with my Google Maps account!
- Nav with built in Waze.
- Geo fenced ride height so the car auto raises before speed bumps and rough driveways.
- Entertainment improvements galore...
- Faster A battery charging at SCs.
- Greatly enhanced access to system data.
- SC current usage info. Could be tied into nav to show your destination.

Obviously, like many others, I don't want that much... ;)

I was thinking route planning that doesn't include your current location. Would be nice for planning different legs of trips and return trips.

• Basic route computations on the Trip screen. I mean like Average Speed, Total Trip Time, etc. I had this on my 1996 BMW, on a 2010 GMC, on a 2010 Town & Country.
  • I would like the Nav Route options as discussed above. Perhaps traffic avoidance. It should be able to take traffic into consideration in calculating the ETA. Google Maps does that.
  • Contact photos

* such a tiny thing, but I wish the charging status window could be shown simultaneously with other windows, like the media/energy/navigation can. It's nice to be able see + interact with the music playing while you see the status of the charge (if you're sitting in your car waiting).

* show operating hours for businesses when you search for them. My Garmin GPS with New Zealand maps could do this and it was incredibly helpful (it may have been a usermade map tho), or be able to search for businesses by which are 'open now' or 'open 24 hrs' (yelp has a good directory of business hours and could maybe be integrated with the nav somehow?)

* Be able to search for waypoints/POIs by genre : find nearby cafes/restaurants/airports/hotels/B&Bs/city halls/parks/landmarks etc. (My Garmin can do this)

* tabbed internet browsing. If my oldass android tablet can do it, I would think Tesla could figure it out :p

Very interesting. What would you guys think about a Calendar app that automatically syncs your mobile device's calendar to the Model S?

When Tesla opens the car up to third party app developers (which Elon has said they will do at some point, timeframe unknown) that would be interesting. But it's not something I would want Tesla to spend its own resources on.

When Tesla opens the car up to third party app developers (which Elon has said they will do at some point, timeframe unknown) that would be interesting. But it's not something I would want Tesla to spend its own resources on.
Agreed. I have it on my smartphone anyway, and while driving I shouldn't be looking at either the smartphone or a calendar on the screen, so I can't see the utility of calendar syncing with the MS.

However a cloaking device? Now that's what I'm talking about!

16473.jpg

Very interesting. What would you guys think about a Calendar app that automatically syncs your mobile device's calendar to the Model S?

That's already there (I remember seeing the icon waaay back when some folks got to see behind the diagnostic screens) and just waiting for Tesla to work it into one of the FW releases; heck, it could even come in v6.0 as it'd make sense for Tesla to test their own app before they even think about opening up to third-parties.

It seems to me a low priority. I spend much of my (work) time looking at/watching my calendar. But, when I'm driving, I just (want to) drive. Ok, ok. Maybe auto navigating to the address on calendar for next appt is useful, if you are in sales going to a dozen locations per day.... --Alex

I'm not crazy, right? There's currently no way to display nearby plugshare/recargo/etc chargers as little icons on the main nav map? (I'm not talking about the web browser) If not, then being able to integrate the programs with the map is an essential firmware upgrade IMHO (maybe as an app someday?).

Plus the ability to copy and paste from the browser into the nav search bar, or just highlight text in the browser and click "call this number" or "navigate here" etc. Would have helped me about 5 times in 5 days already. (I would think this would be an easy peasy firmware upgrade to accomplish)