Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Software/Firmware wishlist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Wish list... Charge cable unlock when i have my key and i press the plug button and security code to avoid to start the car when the car is in demo

Not a code per se, but the best way to keep a Model S from being accidentally driven when demoing eg at a car show is to plug the charge cable into the port. No power source needed, the car will not start but the touchscreen is active for most functions.

Not a code per se, but the best way to keep a Model S from being accidentally driven when demoing eg at a car show is to plug the charge cable into the port. No power source needed, the car will not start but the touchscreen is active for most functions.

And when showing off the car having the charging cable connected at the charge port visually emphasizes that it is an EV and attracts attention to the car.

I was at the Hawthorne SpC today and took a look at their new and improved dashboard...
Here's another pic of the dashboard from Hawthorne today. My car is 2nd from the left.
View attachment 57683

I visited the Hawthorne SC for the first time today. I didn't really need a charge, I was more interested in seeing the "dashboard" display. I thought I had read that it was in "the lobby". I went through the double doors just to the right of the SCs, the room where there are couches and some Tesla merchandise and the Model X mockup. No display to be seen. It was a Saturday. Asked the guy sitting at the desk where the Supercharger screen was. He didn't know what I was talking about. He said "The regular Tesla people aren't here today". I drove around the corner to the SpaceX lobby on Crenshaw Blvd. no Supercharger display there either. Where is it?

And when showing off the car having the charging cable connected at the charge port visually emphasizes that it is an EV and attracts attention to the car.

Funny, that's why I plugged it in at my first car show, then another owner pointed out the safety benefit. You wouldn't want some kid sitting in the driver's seat and then suddenly plowing into a crowd.

Hi,

Recently one of the moderators, Nigel linked me to the wiki version of your wish list and I thought it looks very good. I liked it because I see forums as a big black hole where information is lost. The wiki feature of vbulletin seems like a good way to collect, categorize and update information.

I thought it would be great if there were wish lists for other categories besides firmware. I think ideally those multiple wish lists would use a naming convention that connects them together. Something like this:

• Wish List: Tesla Model S Firmware
  • Wish List: Tesla Model S Interior
  • Wish List: Tesla Model S Exterior
  • Wish List: Tesla Motors Charging Network
  • Wish List: Tesla Motors Website
  • Wish List: Tesla Motors Customer Service
  • Wish List: Tesla Motors Service Centers
  • Wish List: Selected Top Wishes

I was wondering if there are people here who think that might be a good idea and would be interested in starting those other wish lists. I don't own a Model S and I don't have access to mytesla pages on teslamotors.com. Therefore I'm not really a good candidate to start those wiki pages. But if someone would start them I would like to contribute.

One thing I don't like about the wiki feature is that it looks too disconnected from forum threads. I noticed that each wiki has its own mini discussion section. For example, for your firmware wiki the discussion section is here and has no messages. I think most users wouldn't be aware of any discussions written there. Therefore I think the discussion for each wiki could be in a forum thread, like this one. You would just need to make sure the forum thread links to the wiki and the wiki links to the forum thread. At the moment your wiki doesn't link to this topic. So maybe that could be added.

There is more discussion about these here in this topic.

Where does one formally request a feature?

I really miss a few things, mainly

1) One-button toggle for REGEN between NORMAL and LOW, as I like to use LOW on the expressway (with light traffic), and NORMAL in case of dense traffic as well as outside of expressway environment.

2) I would also like some easy way to control volume for individual sources, i.e. radio vs phone/bluetooth.

3) Finally - and this is more complicated to implement - I would like the "Instant" energy use to optionally have elevation change and acceleration/deceleration to be filtered out. In other words, when going on a long downhill, you are expending potential energy and range goes to 999 km (don't know if it goes to 999 miles for the imperial setting, but I imagine it does). The same goes for braking/accelerating, as long as you accelerate, you store kinetic energy, while when you slow down (with or without regen), you release it back. Imagine if the actual Wh/km or Wh/mile would show a realistic figure, while compensating for kinetic/potential energy gain/loss.

Presume TM is reading here also, but where would I formally direct these wishes?

I wish for the auto headlight function to be disabled when mirrors are folded. If I want headlights to back out of my garage then I'll turn them on myself.

I wish for the headlight switch to stay set where I put it. If I select ON then I want the headlights on whenever the car is in operation and off after I get out. If I select OFF then I want them off, always, every time I get in the car still off.

If I have headlights manually ON and get out of the car it beeps then changes the setting to AUTO by the time I get back. Why beep at me if you are going to turn the lights off for me anyway?

The navigation system has no means of defining a Favorite if you can not spell a search criteria to its liking. You can't say, "Remember where I am right now." Garmin used to call this MOB, Man Over Board feature for quickly marking where someone fell overboard that you could return to the same place.

No "Send to vehicle" feature at Google Maps to transfer destinations and/or routes from computer to car. I don't care if I have to save to USB stick to transfer, I'd like to research and define my route on computer before I'm in the car. Do this all the time with handheld Garmin units.

I'm really surprised how few of the good ideas for new features or fixes to existing features have been addressed in 6.0. Here are my top three "should've hads":

* Valet mode. We know Tesla already has the core functionality for this because demo cars are speed-limited.
* PIN required to disable remote access. This huge security gap is even larger now that the car can be unlocked and started from an iPhone.
* Foreign characters in song titles, etc. Astounding that this bug ever existed, let along that it hasn't been corrected yet.

And, yes, I've sent these to [email protected]. What's on your "thought you'd see by now" list?

after driving the car for a couple of months, my thoughts:

* wish the map had a distance 'key' for scale, to help me visualize certain things

* "Now Playing" is incapable of displaying long titles. I was surprised that it doesn't at least slowly scroll back and forth so you can read the whole title.

* Wish the app could alert you if your car alarm goes off. Send you a message/make your phone start buzzing/pre-set alarm sound.

* Wish the Nav HUD displayed the "miles remaining" and ETA as well, when routing. (not just on the main map)

* Visited Chargers: really think it should show the amps/volts you charged at as well. Right now, I have to keep a paper notebook in the car so I remember which chargers were the best, especially if I'm in an area with many visited chargers.