Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S standard and performance just got reduced by 5k

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm excited, as I'm going to buying in October. I hope the price sticks around until then!

However, I think they also took away the Free Unlimited Super Charging with the S/X, as it's not mentioned on the custom order page at all. Current inventory has it (and still reflects previous pricing), but not custom.

• Informative
Reactions: croman
So the MS that I have on order (no VIN assigned yet, and yes I tried CTRL+U) will stay more expensive but will have free supercharging?
You’re grandfather into the price and free supercharging but You’re lucky... you have the option to cancel your order and reorder for the new price. Or keep your order and have free supercharging. Personally, I would cancel for the new price to get the car cheaper upfront and less I have to fund. Free supercharging is nice but it will take A LOT of supercharging to get your $5k worth

You’re grandfather into the price and free supercharging but You’re lucky... you have the option to cancel your order and reorder for the new price. Or keep your order and have free supercharging. Personally, I would cancel for the new price to get the car cheaper upfront and less I have to fund. Free supercharging is nice but it will take A LOT of supercharging to get your $5k worth

You see where he lives though? at today's price gas in US dollars where he lives is $4.35 per gallon. So UFSC means a lot more to him than people in the US.

You see where he lives though? at today's price gas in US dollars where he lives is $4.35 per gallon. So UFSC means a lot more to him than people in the US.
Maybe so, but that’s still ~36,000 miles of supercharging if comparing to a 30mpg car just to break even.

At a generous 300 miles per hour charge rate that’s 120 hours of sitting at superchargers - $41.66 an hour for that “free” supercharging. Ain’t nobody got time for that. ;)

people tend to really overestimate the value of free supercharging. Maybe its the big word and how cool it sounds that mentally messes with people..

I live not too far from a SC station and knowing what I know about battery tech? I limit my supercharging to only when I need it for a highway trip. And I typically charge to 70% when it gets down to about 30%. 95% of my driving is local/within no more than about 15 miles or so from my house. Again...in my opinion, doing what I feel is best for my battery

Reactions: bhzmark
Maybe so, but that’s still ~36,000 miles of supercharging if comparing to a 30mpg car just to break even.

At a generous 300 miles per hour charge rate that’s 120 hours of sitting at superchargers - $41.66 an hour for that “free” supercharging. Ain’t nobody got time for that. ;)

You're going to give the math teacher some math? Ok :cool:

Nothing wrong with your numbers, but here is some alternate truthiness:

Model S if it were an ICE; or a better comparison would be 20 mpg. That brings the miles down to 23,000 miles to break even.

300 miles per hour average supercharging rate? Yeah I wish. But it is a new model S with the 100 kWh pack. Let's say an average of 80kW charge rate? That would be about 260 miles per hour, yielding 88 hours of supercharging to break even.

The $ per hour is meaningless, because the person is not selling the car at that time; after 88 hours the person is now making money. (ignoring the time value of money concept, and interest on the 5 k etc.)

If the person travels a lot, and keeps the car for many years, it is thousands saved.

P.S. I never said I wouldn't prefer the 5K, but here is another option: take that 5K and put it towards solar panels. Again in my place in the world it may be 20+ years for the math to say that is when the person breaks even, but some decide it is still worthwhile to have it for "peace of mind".

Reactions: Watts_Up and ucmndd
You're going to give the math teacher some math? Ok :cool:

Nothing wrong with your numbers, but here is some alternate truthiness:

Model S if it were an ICE; or a better comparison would be 20 mpg. That brings the miles down to 23,000 miles to break even.

300 miles per hour average supercharging rate? Yeah I wish. But it is a new model S with the 100 kWh pack. Let's say an average of 80kW charge rate? That would be about 260 miles per hour, yielding 88 hours of supercharging to break even.

The $ per hour is meaningless, because the person is not selling the car at that time; after 88 hours the person is now making money. (ignoring the time value of money concept, and interest on the 5 k etc.)

If the person travels a lot, and keeps the car for many years, it is thousands saved.

P.S. I never said I wouldn't prefer the 5K, but here is another option: take that 5K and put it towards solar panels. Again in my place in the world it may be 20+ years for the math to say that is when the person breaks even, but some decide it is still worthwhile to have it for "peace of mind".
I’m mostly tongue-in-cheeking, but tend to think most people overvalue “free” supercharging quite a bit.

The $ per hour metric was meant to represent the time of the owner sitting at the supercharger. I tend to value my time at more than $41.66 per hour.

Sure, some people can make the math work and it’s good to have choices - but I’d speculate that very very few realize $5k value in supercharging before they get rid of the car.

The solar panel alternative is a great idea.

What's the point of comparing mpg, gas prices, etc to free supercharging? It's not like we can use 91 octane in our cars as a substitute.

I would definitely take $5K and give up the free supercharging. It doesn't have any value either way when you sell the car since the next owner doesn't get it.

Reactions: SilverGS
I agree with many posters above. The $5k reduction has much more value than free supercharging AND free premium connectivity. I have both on my august 2017 MS and will not see a $5k return even after 7-8 years.

What's the point of comparing mpg, gas prices, etc to free supercharging? It's not like we can use 91 octane in our cars as a substitute.

I would definitely take $5K and give up the free supercharging. It doesn't have any value either way when you sell the car since the next owner doesn't get it.

Just to put some real life numbers on a comparison of what $5000 means in travel by vehicle, but you're right, we should be comparing electricity rates. Only he can determine if that means buying all of it in Croatia, or across Europe.
Not doing the math here :) but you can see why solar is popular in Germany.

and who knows what Tesla will do with transferable supercharging in the future; they change the rules by the month...

u2sm1r7e1w001.png