Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also, they are working on the excessive battery use while sitting. Apparently Elon was adamant that the car start up instantly when the driver sits down so all the computers are kept up and humming all the time. They are working on ways to cut this idle power usage.

If the computers are on all the time, the least they can do is have them look for the key fob and slide the handles out as you walk up. Right? Right? :rolleyes:

Also, they are working on the excessive battery use while sitting. Apparently Elon was adamant that the car start up instantly when the driver sits down so all the computers are kept up and humming all the time. They are working on ways to cut this idle power usage.

I'd accept up to a one second delay if that solves this issue easily. The more complex way of of course is to power down parts of the system I guess. Think of an Ipad with Wifi/3G/bluetooth disabled: it wakes up immidately after pushing the button, but it draws very little power when idle. What is the car doing when idle that's using so much battery?

I'd accept up to a one second delay if that solves this issue easily. The more complex way of of course is to power down parts of the system I guess. Think of an Ipad with Wifi/3G/bluetooth disabled: it wakes up immidately after pushing the button, but it draws very little power when idle. What is the car doing when idle that's using so much battery?
I didn't get any more detail but what you're proposing is the type of stuff they're working on. My post was more to say that they are aware of the battery use while idle and it's being worked on.

This may have been posted before but I didn't know about it. I knew that holding the left and right scroll wheels down for 10 seconds reset the 17" screen but I didn't know that holding the left and right top buttons (ones right above wheels) for 10 seconds resets the instrument/odometer screen.

This may have been posted before but I didn't know about it. I knew that holding the left and right scroll wheels down for 10 seconds reset the 17" screen but I didn't know that holding the left and right top buttons (ones right above wheels) for 10 seconds resets the instrument/odometer screen.

If you press the two lower ones (below the scroll buttons), the 17" display reads "Screen Captured." I wonder where it saves the screenshots? Is it possible to view these screenshots via one of the option menus? Maybe a hidden menu in media? I tried the upper ones; the 17 inch display read "Service Required" this quickly went away once the IC rebooted.

We've had tropical storm force (35 - 50mph) winds for the past few days in SoFla. I've noticed that when the Model S moves cross-wind at certain angles you hear a slight whistling sound from the pano roof. Doesn't always happen, but does occur and then abate depending on cross wind force and direction. There is no sound whatsoever during normal driving with normal wind conditions.

The string of 12V battery failures & replacements was actually due to a bug in recent software that drained the 12V battery. So the batteries were fine -- just a software bug (which halted rollout of that software).

Which raises the question (in my mind) how & how often are the 12v batt(s) refreshed from the 400v batt? If they are only refreshed from regen, that would be weird but simpler, thus understandable. I'd prefer that they be refreshed whenever necessary from the big batt, via inverter/whatever. Then you could run tech & media stuff virtually forever, slowly drawing down the big batt over days or weeks, but without the usual fear on a camp-out that you will fall asleep with radio/media playing and wake up in the morning with not enough batt left to start that cold diesel in sub-zero temps (one of my recurring nightmares). :scared:
--

Obviously, with the pano open, there is rather considerable wind noise at interstate speeds, less when driving around town, but still quite noticeable. On the other hand, the wind noise with the roof open is typical of any car with a moon roof.

I would probably want to open it when driving smaller highways up to maybe 50 mph (with stretches of lower and higher speeds in between).

Rear Liftgate stopped auto open/closing function 1 day after delivery. Tesla is scheduling a ranger to take a look.

Still totally impressed by the car - after two days, I am convinced that this is the future of the automobile. Motor Trend got it right when they said this is Car 3.0.

Rear Liftgate stopped auto open/closing function 1 day after delivery. Tesla is scheduling a ranger to take a look.

Still totally impressed by the car - after two days, I am convinced that this is the future of the automobile. Motor Trend got it right when they said this is Car 3.0.

That sucks. By auto open/close do you mean it won't work with either the keyfob or the 17" screen?

Question: When something like this happens under warranty, do you have to pay for the Ranger visit, or is that included? I seem to recall that Ranger visits for the annual inspections are extra, but wasn't sure about stuff like this. I'm less than 5 miles from the Toronto Service Center, so it is less of an issue for me, but a Ranger visit at my office (if necessary) would be nice.

Question: When something like this happens under warranty, do you have to pay for the Ranger visit, or is that included? I seem to recall that Ranger visits for the annual inspections are extra, but wasn't sure about stuff like this. I'm less than 5 miles from the Toronto Service Center, so it is less of an issue for me, but a Ranger visit at my office (if necessary) would be nice.

Member Cinergi had door handles repaired and his ranger fee was waived. He stated that warranty repairs are covered. I would suspect that this would be covered as well.