Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's what I was afraid of. I could not tell how it was attached, but the part itself could not cost much. It is just a small piece of molded plastic.

Do you have some experience with this you can share? Is it user replaceable?

Same as SteveH, No experience but the service folks warned me about it. As those little doors look very fragile, I've been taking extra care around them--at least until someone comes up with an aftermarket replacement. What I'm envisioning is something that screws into the socket and then has a press-and-click feature so that the plastic is flush with the car.

Teensy bit awkward after Suzie posted the story, pictures, location and VIN here?

no worries. I have learned not to use the high pressure setting on the self service car wash but I certainly don't feel like I was neglectful or abusive.

I'm pretty sure Tesla service will deal with this issue fairly as they have with most other customer issues reported here.
If you look closely at the part and the related structure the shortcomings are obvious.

No personal experience, but the guy at the Dallas service center warned me about this. Definitely not user replaceable. He said to be careful when washing/drying the car because if these pieces come off then the fix is a pain. The whole plastic piece does have to be replaced, but it runs the length of the roof and is glued down. They have to rip the whole piece off, sand it down, and glue and screw it back in. Takes a while he said and a big job. Sorry.

If one of those plastic roof rack covers break, just tape it back in place with some 3M VHB double stick tape. Same stuff that's used to fix the molding, emblems, lettering, and trim pieces like the Model S carbon fiber spoiler to cars.

Local auto parts stores usually stock it. Make sure you get the gray tape with red backing, that's the VHB (very high bond). It's semi-permanent which means it won't come off when you don't want it to, but will when you do (like if you should ever decide to get a roof rack)

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/3M-1-2-in-x-5-ft-Scotch-Mount-molding-tape/_/N-25ej?itemIdentifier=517034_0_0_

Last edited:
Fan still works, and apparently it's not excessively loud, so Tesla isn't going to replace it at this point in time.

It is excessively loud. It certainly shouldn't be making any noise when the car is turned off.

I have been told that they haven't tracked down exactly WHY it is making noise when the car is turned off. I have been told that it is a defect present in all cars, so I am willing to wait until they figure out what the design defect is before getting my *warranty repair*.

If, however, there are cars where this does not occur, then I need to know that.
I'm not sure that's an unreasonable position, though maybe not ideal.

How do you re-boot the car? I know how to re-boot the 17" screen and dash screen, but I thought that the car's drive system was completely isolated from these screens. (I've re-booted my 17" screen while underway with no ill effects as far as drivetrain performance goes).
I can answer this as my wife experienced the loss of (drive) power, red PRND and Please restart car message last night. Ended up having it towed to the SC with inverter faults. But the person on the phone walked me through how to reboot the car. Open the frunk and remove the middle plastic cover (the one below the windshield). You will see 2 fuse boxes. Open the left one (your left as you're looking to the rear of the car). You will see 2 yellow 20A fuses - 1 to the right (in the middle I believe) and the other 1 row to the left from the first. They are the only 2 yellow 20A fuses in the box. Remove both of these fuses, wait 30 seconds, re-insert them. Car will now boot up.

Thought you might also appreciate this - was poking around waiting for the tow truck:
IMG_00000058.jpg

How in the world did you get the wrong firmware on the car? Is that why the car threw the faults?
I'm assuming it is simply a display error like having the wrong wheels or color. It's been correct in the past as I've verified firmware versions after updates but clearly something is/was flagged wrong somewhere. The battery graphic looked correct (showing less than half battery at 131 ideal miles) so it knew it wasn't a 40kWh battery. But clearly the car had tossed its cookies :)

We had the low tire pressure warning a few days ago, thankfully right as we turned onto the street where we live. We pulled into the driveway to see if we could tell where the issue was and immediately noticed one tire was low. Upon further inspection, we realized the tire was worn significantly on the inside of it, and that both rear tires were completely worn on the inside of the tire and apparently not properly alignned. The left rear tire had a leak and would not hold air. Because the wear on the tires was significant and one was flat, we could not drive the car so Tesla came to pick it up the next day. Coincidentally, we were scheduled for service a few days later for issues with the charger (it was defective when it was built we just found out).

It would apprear that the tires were not properly mounted from the time the car was built. We have about 11,000 miles on the car and received it in October 2012.

No word yet from the service center as to what happens or the status of the repairs. In the meantime, we have a Roadster loaner, which is not a bad thing. What a difference between the Roadster and the S though. The Roadster is a sexy car for sure, but a bumpier ride and no power steering! We are having fun with it, but also looking forward to the return of the S!

Got my S back today. We were able to get all issues resolved with no out of pocket cost.

We were told that the tires need to be rotated every 3,000 miles and replaced about every 7,000. Too bad we did not know that!

The Roadster was a lot of fun, but could not imagine driving one every day. I think we are spoiled by the S - such a smooth ride and a luxurious car. The Roadster would be fun for weekend drives down the coast, but not to drive all the time. It is quite difficult to get in and out of.

We were told that the tires need to be rotated every 3,000 miles and replaced about every 7,000. Too bad we did not know that!

Huh? Is that stated somewhere in the manuals? I've never rotated tires that frequently (usually once a year / 15,000 miles). My Model S has just over 10,000 miles now, and I've not touched the wheels. I guess I've missed over 3 required rotations.

Huh? Is that stated somewhere in the manuals? I've never rotated tires that frequently (usually once a year / 15,000 miles). My Model S has just over 10,000 miles now, and I've not touched the wheels. I guess I've missed over 3 required rotations.

She's referring to the Roadster.

Although that interval could go way up with less sticky tires and gentler driving...