Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Front and Rear bumper covers don't match the body paint as closely as I would expect. Has anyone else had the same problem? My friend has a Signature Model S and there isn't a noticeable difference. I sent Tesla this picture yesterday.

Beautiful color, stunning car - but in the pic, it does look different. Let us know the resolution.

My Front and Rear bumper covers don't match the body paint as closely as I would expect. Has anyone else had the same problem? My friend has a Signature Model S and there isn't a noticeable difference. I sent Tesla this picture yesterday.
I've got the grey and my bumper/body are an exact match. Yours is almost two-tone :crying: and I really hope Tesla takes action for you quickly. Given how visible that is, I'm not sure how that sort of mismatch escapes the factory.

Given how visible that is, I'm not sure how that sort of mismatch escapes the factory.

I suspect they aren't even looking for it. During the factory tour they made a big deal of using the same paint batch for all parts of a vehicle, aluminum and plastic. Once you think you have a problem solved you tend to stop worrying about it. Obviously that's not the case for mfcnova's vehicle and Tesla should definitely be interested in what happened.

Definitely does look different, but it may also be worse in the sun and depending on the angle of the sun. Note how your rearview mirror also looks the same shade as the bumper.

Hmmm. I didn't notice it in your pictures on the delivery update thread, but now that you've pointed it out, I do see it.

The plastic parts of the car are painted on a separate line from the metal parts of the car. I'm sure Tesla has processes in place to ensure a good match between the paint shot on those two lines, but it does seem as if something strange has happened here. Perhaps there was a part substitution that resulted in your plastics coming from a different paint batch than originally planned, for example.

I've seen the Dolphin Grey in other contexts, and I have not noticed any issue with the color match. I think you're right to raise the issue with Tesla.

It is more noticeable in sunlight, the delivery photos were taken on an overcast day.

- - - Updated - - -

I also had a paint flaw on the trunk, near the driver side indicator that wasn't caught at the factory.

IMG_20130106_125036.jpg

I had the same problem less than a week after getting the car. The driver's door handle would extend, but the light was out and you could not open the door. It was a faulty mechanism and had to be replaced. Odd thing was it stopped working after I applied the 4.0 update. Supposedly that had nothing to do with it, but just something I thought I would mention.

This is a follow up to my two previous posts #647 on 12/19/12 and #953 on 1/2/13.

1. The issue with the passenger door opening on its own when I parked and then not working just after that and at one other time. Tesla service informed me that they have had a total of three complaints of this including mine and in all cases have just swapped out the handle.
  2. The issue of the dreaded black screen that numerous people have mentioned could not be duplicated. As I stated in my post on January 2[SUP]nd[/SUP], it has been booting up fine since January 1[SUP]st[/SUP].
  3. I had an issue of bubbles in the paint armor in the front nose area that the service team took care of by contacting the warranty department who sent someone down to replaced it.
  4. I also had stains in the lower rocker under the doors on one side of the car. They couldn’t get them to buff out so they replaced the rocker.
  5. I also had the problem that many people have stated about the sunroof sticking and therefore taking a double click to get it to open. The service didn’t want to see rely on it just being a software issue and was proactive. They ordered new seals and reset the glass behind the sunroof where it was getting caught on. Since then I haven’t had an issue with it.

I must say that I'm very impressed with the quality of service from the Los Angeles service department. Thank you Dave & Vince for answering all of my concerns.

One thing that I haven’t seen in any blogs is something that I noticed when I’m charging my car. I have the dual charger and am using a NEMA 14-50 outlet. I noticed when charging that the small display will show the current charge rate such as “20 miles/hr”. I then noticed that the big center display stated the same charge rate “20 miles/hr” however just under it is stated “+15 miles”. I inquired about this and was informed that the extra 15 was the bonus that I was getting from the dual charger. I’m glad that I paid the extra for the quicker charge.

One thing that I haven’t seen in any blogs is something that I noticed when I’m charging my car. I have the dual charger and am using a NEMA 14-50 outlet. I noticed when charging that the small display will show the current charge rate such as “20 miles/hr”. I then noticed that the big center display stated the same charge rate “20 miles/hr” however just under it is stated “+15 miles”. I inquired about this and was informed that the extra 15 was the bonus that I was getting from the dual charger. I’m glad that I paid the extra for the quicker charge.
This cannot be true, as the charging rate from a 14-50 is limited by the safe current that one can pull from the outlet, not the charger.