Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a new issue with my 2014 Model S. The wheels are making a squeaking sound at low speeds.

I've attached an audio clip: 2014 Model S squeak - Clyp - this is taken from inside the car, going about 10 km/h on a side street. I alternated between regenerative braking, acceleration, and friction braking and it makes the same sound no matter what. I can't tell from inside the car whether it's just one wheel or more than one.

If this was a normal car I'd take it in to a brake guy to have a look but can regular brake guys work on Teslas? I live in Newfoundland so servicing is a major pain.

I have a new issue with my 2014 Model S. The wheels are making a squeaking sound at low speeds.

I've attached an audio clip: 2014 Model S squeak - Clyp - this is taken from inside the car, going about 10 km/h on a side street. I alternated between regenerative braking, acceleration, and friction braking and it makes the same sound no matter what. I can't tell from inside the car whether it's just one wheel or more than one.

If this was a normal car I'd take it in to a brake guy to have a look but can regular brake guys work on Teslas? I live in Newfoundland so servicing is a major pain.
If it’s the brakes I would think a non-Tesla mechanic could handle it.

• Love
Reactions: neroden
Hi all,

This is my first time posting and honestly I hope no one else has had the issue I’m about to relate.
My wife and I first bought our model S tesla back in September 2015 and it has been nothing but amazing. It has performed flawlessly.
That’s when we decided to go ahead and purchase a CPO Model S. Our sale assistant was amazing and handled everything perfectly. However, once we took it home we started to notice issues. Admittedly Tesla sent a technician out to repair the minor problems but after a little while we started noticing a noise that has progressively been getting louder. Also many of the voice commands have stopped working and even after numerous resets, restarts and phone calls it continues to work sporadically at best. Considering we have another Model S we know how well it should work.
We have called technical support, gone to the service center and the problem has been ongoing since February. No solution has been found and now I’ve reached out to customer support and been told to rely the information back to the service center.
I am getting increasingly frustrated and have even CCed [email protected] just to get this resolved. At this they should either fix it or swap it out for another car.
I tried uploading the videos for you all to see but they’re too large.......
TIA

Hi all,

This is my first time posting and honestly I hope no one else has had the issue I’m about to relate.
My wife and I first bought our model S tesla back in September 2015 and it has been nothing but amazing. It has performed flawlessly.
That’s when we decided to go ahead and purchase a CPO Model S. Our sale assistant was amazing and handled everything perfectly. However, once we took it home we started to notice issues. Admittedly Tesla sent a technician out to repair the minor problems but after a little while we started noticing a noise that has progressively been getting louder. Also many of the voice commands have stopped working and even after numerous resets, restarts and phone calls it continues to work sporadically at best. Considering we have another Model S we know how well it should work.
We have called technical support, gone to the service center and the problem has been ongoing since February. No solution has been found and now I’ve reached out to customer support and been told to rely the information back to the service center.
I am getting increasingly frustrated and have even CCed [email protected] just to get this resolved. At this they should either fix it or swap it out for another car.
I tried uploading the videos for you all to see but they’re too large.......
TIA
Probably why the previous owner got rid of it. What year and month was the CPO manufactured?

Anyone have these etched in scratches on the front and back windows, in line with the centre of the door handle on both sides?

upload_2019-9-3_13-21-37.png

I've raised this before in the hope that people might share pics, people often say its grit but its in the same place on both front windows and across multiple cars.

Anyone have these etched in scratches on the front and back windows, in line with the centre of the door handle on both sides?

View attachment 449762

I've raised this before in the hope that people might share pics, people often say its grit but its in the same place on both front windows and across multiple cars.
Yes I noticed these scratches early on, on my passenger side window. There’s actually a thread about how the door handle mechanism probably causes them. At my first service appointment Tesla worked on buffing them out, so they’re not as noticeable. If I looked for the scratches I could find them, but they don’t jump out at me anymore.

Yes I noticed these scratches early on, on my passenger side window. There’s actually a thread about how the door handle mechanism probably causes them. At my first service appointment Tesla worked on buffing them out, so they’re not as noticeable. If I looked for the scratches I could find them, but they don’t jump out at me anymore.

I have this exact problem on my driver side window! Having trouble looking for the thread covering the root cause for these scratches. Curious if the handle assembly needs replacement.

Update.......

After posting here and reaching out to our sales associate, the regional manager called me. He was incredibly understanding and took the time to make things right. The car is currently with Tesla and getting a drive train replacement along with addressing the voice command issue and a few smaller concerns.
Will keep you guys posted when I get the car back but after months of complaints something is being rectified.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and JRP3
Update.......

After posting here and reaching out to our sales associate, the regional manager called me. He was incredibly understanding and took the time to make things right. The car is currently with Tesla and getting a drive train replacement along with addressing the voice command issue and a few smaller concerns.
Will keep you guys posted when I get the car back but after months of complaints something is being rectified.

Thats great news!

My experience with Tesla is strange. They offer to do things but always look for a way out.

The rear door handles are making a funny sound. I reported to them. They are claiming it may be the tints. Ive explained to them that I raised this before I applied the tints, they now say they need to investigate the fault. I am hoping they will come to their senses.

Just bought a 2018 MS 75D, after opening for about 3 days a strange nose started occuring while using the AC.

It is a deep bass sound that sounds like a baseball card in bike spokes and it allowed from a medium speed to zero. Then starts again about 1 min. later. This happens only when the HVAC system is on.

It is very very loud heard inside and outside the cabin. Reminds me of the toy cars you can buy and rev up on the carpet then let go.

I've read many posts and watched many YouTube videos on AC sounds but haven't found anything like this.

My question is, is this normal or should I schedule some maintenance time?

Thanks for the help!

Matt

Today my MS 2016 Refreshed displayed the same error messages you mentioned in your post. Prior to these messages, it displayed “car needs service, car may not restart” but I was able to drive the car home anyway. Then it displayed “car needs service, unable to start car”. Now my car is no longer viewable in the Tesla mobile app. I can still unlock the car and when I get inside the displays power up but it shows “unable to start car”. I am going to get it towed to the service center. Maybe the problem will be the DC-DC converter that you mentioned. Has anyone else experienced a similar situation where the problem turned out to be something else?

One other thing I noticed is that when I was driving the car home after receiving the initial error message, the car could not accelerate smoothly. From a start, it would lurch forward when pressing the accelerator and sort of stutter until it got up to a cruising speed.

I had trouble finding these errors before so posting in case someone is looking. My 2016 refresh AP1 Model S started shutting down in a parking lot with "Power Reduced Vehicle Systems Shutting Down" and "Unable to drive Voltage supply too low." Roadside sent a flatbed to take the car 2 blocks (I could see the Tesla sign from where I was stuck) to service. They found the 12v was low and the DC-DC converter went out. Before that I hadn't gotten any warnings. Both screens went black - when the truck showed up I was able to pull the + lead off the fuse box for a few seconds and put it back on to get everything to boot up long enough to get it into tow mode.
View attachment 421650

Last edited:
Reactions: Calvinb
Anybody recognizes this sound coming from the rear part of my model s?

They tried retorqing the suspension. Seemed to help for about an hour and now it's back...

Btw it's not the child seats. Sound is also there when the seats aren't installed.

Anybody recognizes this sound coming from the rear part of my model s?

They tried retorqing the suspension. Seemed to help for about an hour and now it's back...

Btw it's not the child seats. Sound is also there when the seats aren't installed.

I had a similar but not identical sound. I tried two things, adjusting the trunk lid so all the points hit solidly. To do this I used a thin layer of grease to be sure the points had contact. Then I pulled the rear wheels and checked the tightness of everything, mud shield on left rear was a little loose. Noise is gone, but I will never know which it was.

I suffered a "steering assist reduced" in my MS60 2014

I read all about the Tesla recall steering column bolts SB-18-32-002 but besides cold weather, and bolt corrosion, another cause for the steering to fail is windshield drain water that enters the cable loom to the steering rack and finally makes it fail as was reported by Tesla technician.

Now Tesla SeC claims this is no warranty, driver cost, I am not the only one (technician told he saw ~3), this is a design issue!

I am quoted some 4500 USD! By text message, that is how support works in Europe nowadays.

Out of warranty and Tesla will be not so nice in times of trouble.