TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model S - Window Tinting

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by yobigd20, Nov 8, 2012.

1. JasonA-EV

JasonA-EV Member

How did it turn out? I'm doing mine today with CXP and still contemplating the final % and if I'm going to do the front windshield.

2. pagexk

pagexk New Member

Hi guys, I'm trying to decide between 3M Crystalline VS SolarGard ultra performance for my white tesla with white interior, any suggestions? And any good tint shop around LA, CA? Thanks!!!

3. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy ALWAYS IN LUDICROUS MODE! P90D>P100D Upgrade

4. Premier Mobile

Premier Mobile Local Vendor - NorCal

If you are in the LA area, we highly recommend contacting Extreme Autowerks (www.extremeautowerks.net). They have extensive experience with Teslas (that's always important) and are authorized Dealers for Spectra PhotoSync and CeraLuxe. These are the top 2 heat rejecting window films on the market.

5. nickB22

nickB22 Member

Anyone with 33% or 35% CeraLuxe or Photosync in the South Bay Area? I have an appointment with Premier on Monday and still don't know if I'm going with either of the above or my usual 20%. I'm in San Jose but would be willing to travel and buy you a drink to thank you for your time.

Thanks!

6. nickB22

nickB22 Member

Here is my contribution to this thread:

I had 20% CeraLuxe tint put on at Premier in Fremont this morning. The price was approximatley $150-200 over what nearby places were charging for Huper Optik and other brands. Because there has been mention of that brand interfering with electronics and because I wanted a place that has done lots of Teslas to work on my car (especially since I was having the windshield tinted and was worried about the Alcantara getting marred), I made the trip over to Premier. They seemed to only be working on three cars today other than mine: a Model X, a recent Ferrari, and a new looking Mercedes. I felt completely comfortable leaving my car with them. I especially liked that they had just one person working on the car instead of having five people all over it in order to get the job done in an hour. The premium was worth it for that reason alone.

Someone mentioned earlier in this thread that 20% looks lighter on the S/X because of the amount of glass. I don't know that I'd agree with that. When I first saw the car, I thought it looked really dark. It looked as dark if not darker than the 20% non-Ceramic tints I've had placed on other cars. The sunlight coming through the windshield made the two front windows look so much lighter than the rear ones that I asked if they'd placed two different shades. From the other side it looked even, though. In any case, it looked about as dark as I expected. Maybe tinting the front windshield had something to do with this?

If the car were any other color, I'd probably go lighter so that there'd be more of a contrast. On the silver, I think the dark windows looks really nice. I'm planning to add grey turbines in the near future and think the tint + wheel combo will go together really nicely.

In the pic with the Mustang, that car has 20%. In the sunlight, it was so much lighter that I thought it was 30% or greater. My car is in the back. I spent a lot of time looking through tint threads on Tesla/BMW/Audi forums and concluded that it's a largely a waste of time trying to decide that way since the appearance depends so much on the angle the picture is taken at, time of day, interior color, etc. I'd recommend stopping by wherever you're going to get the job done to see what different shades looks like installed. An employee had 35% Photosync and it looked really, really light. It was on a 35% car so it worked but I would have been disappointed if I'd gotten that like so many other people have.

Anyways, if anyone is interested in seeing the tint in person, let me know!

Attached Files:

• Like x 2
  7. ChrgdTeCHick

ChrgdTeCHick Member

#1287 ChrgdTeCHick, Jun 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
    Newbie on tint here and wanted to get some feedback. I have an appmnt on Friday to tint my MS since I live in FL. Going to get ceramic all the way around, bit darker on the rear since I have jump seats.

But I was looking at my windows today and I noticed that I believe it already has tint? I got a CPO so I'm not certain. I attached some pictures I have for now. Certainly nothing in the windshield now, I feel that hot sun for sure. But the pano is almost completely heat resistant and I'll have to check tomorrow, but I think not much heat from the side windows too.

Is there a way for me to have this checked? I'm wanting tint for the heat/UV and then aesthetic reasons, but if my windows already have high heat rejection tint, I may just go darker in the back and something on the front instead.
    PhotoGrid_1498706028548.jpg PhotoGrid_1498704258461.jpg PhotoGrid_1498706355254.jpg

8. ManTownMedia

ManTownMedia Member

Did you consider Suntek Ceramic IR - CIR?

9. Venomboy

Venomboy Member

I just got my 2017 Model S with Pano roof tinted by OCDetailing in Fremont, CA.

Got 35% Llumar ceramic on sides, back, and sunroof. Got 3M Crystalline 70% on front windshield. Great service, fair price. Joe (the owner) is a really good guy to deal with.

The 3M has a few tiny 3M logos that I can remove after 10 days with rubbing alcohol.

The Lllumar looks gray/black. The 3M really doesn't have much color. But from the inside I think the 3M gives everything a slight reddish tint (more noticeable with sunglasses on) and the Llumar gives everything a bit more contrast. While the 3M is lighter, everything is a touch washed out. Takes about 5 minutes to get used to.

I've only had the tint for 2 days but I'm already running the AC at lower speeds and I don't need it as cold anymore.

10. QwiksilverA4

QwiksilverA4 Member

VenomBoy what did Joe charge you?

11. Venomboy

Venomboy Member

Sent you a message.

12. Psych1

Psych1 New Member

Any installers in the North Atlanta area, for Photosync. I'm in Roswell. That's the next task after getting OptiCoat Pro+ and XPel(only front and doors), which should be done by Thursday.

13. Psych1

Psych1 New Member

14. markn455

markn455 Member

Photosync is likely the best in many side by side opinions. Many would argue that 3M Crystalline is better. While I would have purchased Photosync if they were the same price I went with Crystalline because Photosync was more than twice the price. The difference is barely measurable. So I used atlantatint.com to install Crystalline. I have installed Crystalline on about 6 different vehicles over the years. I have never been sorry or had any issues.

• Like x 1
  15. Atlantan

Atlantan Inactive Member

If you are still looking...I will cast my vote for Huper Optik...installer is in Lawerenceville.

16. ManTownMedia

ManTownMedia Member

Much happier with the darker Suntek CIR Ceramic @ 20% all around with windshield tinted @ 70%...note to self - trust your initial instinct vs. what is "legal". My plan is to always roll down the window if I get pulled over so that there is nothing to hide...

Attached Files:

• Like x 1
  17. Premier Mobile

Premier Mobile Local Vendor - NorCal

For paint protection go for ClearGuard Nano SR, which is much clearer than Xpel. Here is a video:

For your area, the authorized Dealer for ClearGuard Nano is Detailed Designs Auto Spa - Detailed Designs Auto Spa

18. ChrgdTeCHick

ChrgdTeCHick Member

That's what I ended up doing myself and it was well worth it! A must in FL where car temps are easy 120+

I had a 2017 MS loaner with 200 miles for a weekend without tint and no glass roof, and it would still be quite hot by the time I'd get to my destination. With the tint I got and glass roof, I never get the " opening the oven" heat when I open the door.

Second picture is the visibility from inside around sundown (8pm Summer time)
    PhotoGrid_1499301149422-01-01-01-01-02-01-01.jpeg OI000039-01-01.jpeg

19. A-E

A-E Former Vendor

I recommend window tinting from 3M Crystalline for the maximum protection from solar heat and UV rays. In regards to the shade of film, 5% is extremely dark and may cause an issue seeing out clearly. If you do a 15% shade all around it will still appear that the rear windows are darker due to the light that comes in through the windshield. :) Although it is technically not legal to tint the windshield, many people also use a light/almost clear window film in 70% or 80% 3M Crystalline to cut down on the heat and glare that comes in through the windshield.

• Like x 2