Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - Window Tinting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you need a recommendation I had great success with a shop in Pasadena called Elevated Auto Concepts, talk to Michael the owner. They did a full car 3m paint protective film clear wrap for me, and 3m crystalline ceramic tint to reduce heat. They also did a full chrome delete with vinyl and some paint where necessary, including some red color accents to match the car and powder coating the wheels black.

View media item 115645

Hi guys, I'm trying to decide between 3M Crystalline VS SolarGard ultra performance for my white tesla with white interior, any suggestions? And any good tint shop around LA, CA? Thanks!!!

If you are in the LA area, we highly recommend contacting Extreme Autowerks (www.extremeautowerks.net). They have extensive experience with Teslas (that's always important) and are authorized Dealers for Spectra PhotoSync and CeraLuxe. These are the top 2 heat rejecting window films on the market.

Anyone with 33% or 35% CeraLuxe or Photosync in the South Bay Area? I have an appointment with Premier on Monday and still don't know if I'm going with either of the above or my usual 20%. I'm in San Jose but would be willing to travel and buy you a drink to thank you for your time.

Thanks!

Here is my contribution to this thread:

I had 20% CeraLuxe tint put on at Premier in Fremont this morning. The price was approximatley $150-200 over what nearby places were charging for Huper Optik and other brands. Because there has been mention of that brand interfering with electronics and because I wanted a place that has done lots of Teslas to work on my car (especially since I was having the windshield tinted and was worried about the Alcantara getting marred), I made the trip over to Premier. They seemed to only be working on three cars today other than mine: a Model X, a recent Ferrari, and a new looking Mercedes. I felt completely comfortable leaving my car with them. I especially liked that they had just one person working on the car instead of having five people all over it in order to get the job done in an hour. The premium was worth it for that reason alone.

Someone mentioned earlier in this thread that 20% looks lighter on the S/X because of the amount of glass. I don't know that I'd agree with that. When I first saw the car, I thought it looked really dark. It looked as dark if not darker than the 20% non-Ceramic tints I've had placed on other cars. The sunlight coming through the windshield made the two front windows look so much lighter than the rear ones that I asked if they'd placed two different shades. From the other side it looked even, though. In any case, it looked about as dark as I expected. Maybe tinting the front windshield had something to do with this?

If the car were any other color, I'd probably go lighter so that there'd be more of a contrast. On the silver, I think the dark windows looks really nice. I'm planning to add grey turbines in the near future and think the tint + wheel combo will go together really nicely.

In the pic with the Mustang, that car has 20%. In the sunlight, it was so much lighter that I thought it was 30% or greater. My car is in the back. I spent a lot of time looking through tint threads on Tesla/BMW/Audi forums and concluded that it's a largely a waste of time trying to decide that way since the appearance depends so much on the angle the picture is taken at, time of day, interior color, etc. I'd recommend stopping by wherever you're going to get the job done to see what different shades looks like installed. An employee had 35% Photosync and it looked really, really light. It was on a 35% car so it worked but I would have been disappointed if I'd gotten that like so many other people have.

Anyways, if anyone is interested in seeing the tint in person, let me know!

Attachments

• IMG_3906.JPG
    IMG_3906.JPG
    259 KB · Views: 510
  • IMG_3908.JPG
    IMG_3908.JPG
    295.8 KB · Views: 474
  • IMG_3918.JPG
    IMG_3918.JPG
    427.8 KB · Views: 469
  • IMG_3919.JPG
    IMG_3919.JPG
    276.3 KB · Views: 469
  • IMG_3890.JPG
    IMG_3890.JPG
    468.9 KB · Views: 476
Newbie on tint here and wanted to get some feedback. I have an appmnt on Friday to tint my MS since I live in FL. Going to get ceramic all the way around, bit darker on the rear since I have jump seats.

But I was looking at my windows today and I noticed that I believe it already has tint? I got a CPO so I'm not certain. I attached some pictures I have for now. Certainly nothing in the windshield now, I feel that hot sun for sure. But the pano is almost completely heat resistant and I'll have to check tomorrow, but I think not much heat from the side windows too.

Is there a way for me to have this checked? I'm wanting tint for the heat/UV and then aesthetic reasons, but if my windows already have high heat rejection tint, I may just go darker in the back and something on the front instead.
PhotoGrid_1498706028548.jpg
PhotoGrid_1498704258461.jpg
PhotoGrid_1498706355254.jpg

Last edited:
I just got my 2017 Model S with Pano roof tinted by OCDetailing in Fremont, CA.

Got 35% Llumar ceramic on sides, back, and sunroof. Got 3M Crystalline 70% on front windshield. Great service, fair price. Joe (the owner) is a really good guy to deal with.

The 3M has a few tiny 3M logos that I can remove after 10 days with rubbing alcohol.

The Lllumar looks gray/black. The 3M really doesn't have much color. But from the inside I think the 3M gives everything a slight reddish tint (more noticeable with sunglasses on) and the Llumar gives everything a bit more contrast. While the 3M is lighter, everything is a touch washed out. Takes about 5 minutes to get used to.

I've only had the tint for 2 days but I'm already running the AC at lower speeds and I don't need it as cold anymore.

I just got my 2017 Model S with Pano roof tinted by OCDetailing in Fremont, CA.

Got 35% Llumar ceramic on sides, back, and sunroof. Got 3M Crystalline 70% on front windshield. Great service, fair price. Joe (the owner) is a really good guy to deal with.

The 3M has a few tiny 3M logos that I can remove after 10 days with rubbing alcohol.

The Lllumar looks gray/black. The 3M really doesn't have much color. But from the inside I think the 3M gives everything a slight reddish tint (more noticeable with sunglasses on) and the Llumar gives everything a bit more contrast. While the 3M is lighter, everything is a touch washed out. Takes about 5 minutes to get used to.

I've only had the tint for 2 days but I'm already running the AC at lower speeds and I don't need it as cold anymore.

VenomBoy what did Joe charge you?

Photosync is likely the best in many side by side opinions. Many would argue that 3M Crystalline is better. While I would have purchased Photosync if they were the same price I went with Crystalline because Photosync was more than twice the price. The difference is barely measurable. So I used atlantatint.com to install Crystalline. I have installed Crystalline on about 6 different vehicles over the years. I have never been sorry or had any issues.

Reactions: Tech_Guy
Much happier with the darker Suntek CIR Ceramic @ 20% all around with windshield tinted @ 70%...note to self - trust your initial instinct vs. what is "legal". My plan is to always roll down the window if I get pulled over so that there is nothing to hide...

Attachments

• teslatint2.jpg
    teslatint2.jpg
    372 KB · Views: 370
Reactions: A-E
Any installers in the North Atlanta area, for Photosync. I'm in Roswell. That's the next task after getting OptiCoat Pro+ and XPel(only front and doors), which should be done by Thursday.

For paint protection go for ClearGuard Nano SR, which is much clearer than Xpel. Here is a video:

For your area, the authorized Dealer for ClearGuard Nano is Detailed Designs Auto Spa - Detailed Designs Auto Spa

Much happier with the darker Suntek CIR Ceramic @ 20% all around with windshield tinted @ 70%...note to self - trust your initial instinct vs. what is "legal". My plan is to always roll down the window if I get pulled over so that there is nothing to hide...
That's what I ended up doing myself and it was well worth it! A must in FL where car temps are easy 120+

I had a 2017 MS loaner with 200 miles for a weekend without tint and no glass roof, and it would still be quite hot by the time I'd get to my destination. With the tint I got and glass roof, I never get the " opening the oven" heat when I open the door.

Second picture is the visibility from inside around sundown (8pm Summer time)
PhotoGrid_1499301149422-01-01-01-01-02-01-01.jpeg
OI000039-01-01.jpeg

From all the pics I see it doesn't look like any of the windows are tinted. Is anyone planning on, or has anyone already done any aftermarket window tinting on their model S? I was thinking of doing 5% on the rear windows and back seat windows and possibly 15-25% on the front driver and passenger windows. What do you think? It helps keep the sun out, would protect kids from sunburn if I get the rear child seats, protects leather, keeps peering eyes from seeing a huge 17" touchscreen that someone might be tempted to break in and rip it out....

I recommend window tinting from 3M Crystalline for the maximum protection from solar heat and UV rays. In regards to the shade of film, 5% is extremely dark and may cause an issue seeing out clearly. If you do a 15% shade all around it will still appear that the rear windows are darker due to the light that comes in through the windshield. :) Although it is technically not legal to tint the windshield, many people also use a light/almost clear window film in 70% or 80% 3M Crystalline to cut down on the heat and glare that comes in through the windshield.