Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - Window Tinting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry if this has been discussed but I'm looking for the most recent info regarding TINTING in SAN DIEGO. Since I pick up the car in Miramar (service center) I'm wondering if anyone did their tint in that area? There are like 50 shops in that area that do tinting. Did you trust any of them with your baby? thanks!

Unique Auto Films - Tesla Model S.JPG

We tinted this Tesla for one of the local shops in Llumar Ceramic 35% and Air80 on the windshield. Customer also chose to use the same tint we used on the windshield on the panoramic roof to prevent majority of the heat from entering the cabin.

Sorry if this has been discussed but I'm looking for the most recent info regarding TINTING in SAN DIEGO. Since I pick up the car in Miramar (service center) I'm wondering if anyone did their tint in that area? There are like 50 shops in that area that do tinting. Did you trust any of them with your baby? thanks!

I used San Diego Tint as has a few other owners from San Diego. They did a wonderful job and had several other Model Ses in for tint during the week my car with there. I had them do cover the entire car with the exception of the hatchback with Xpel Ultimate as well.

@uniqueautofilms What's the difference between ceramic and crystalline?
Crystalline looks a bit more reflective, whereas the ceramic tint looks dark without the shininess.

Which tint would work best if someone wants a black non reflective/shiny windows?

After a bunch of research I ended up going with the Huper Optik ceramic over the 3M Crystalline. There is some minor ghosting (looks like a stretch mark), but it's pretty minor and only noticeable when you look at it from a certain angle in direct sunlight. I thought that particular blemish was preferable to the blueish/reddish color reported with the crystalline, since I was trying to color match the pano sunroof. Also, in my area, the ceramic was about $150 cheaper than the crystalline, but I understand that might be different for others.

Either way, the heat rejection is noticeable, even to the bare hand.

I'm considering doing either 20% all the way around, or a mix of 20% on the back hatch and rear windows, with 35% on the fronts. I'm just concerned about getting a fix-it ticket with the 20%. But I'm not sure if two different levels will look stupid. Also considering the heat blocking tint for the pano. First quote I got was $850 for nano-cool including the pano, that seems way too high.

Great thread.

A couple of questions:

1) With the 3M Crystalline having a reddish hue, it sounds like the Llumar(?) might be a good alternative. Does it reject IR/heat as well?

2) Anybody in VA (particularly NoVA) that can comment on what the legal limits are? How about what you can generally get away with without being hassled?

Thanks.

Great thread.

A couple of questions:

1) With the 3M Crystalline having a reddish hue, it sounds like the Llumar(?) might be a good alternative. Does it reject IR/heat as well?

2) Anybody in VA (particularly NoVA) that can comment on what the legal limits are? How about what you can generally get away with without being hassled?

Thanks.

In VA, it is 50% front windows, 35% rear windows. I got pulled over once in about 10 years driving with 35% all around and only got a warning. Its hit or miss...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

@uniqueautofilms What's the difference between ceramic and crystalline?
Crystalline looks a bit more reflective, whereas the ceramic tint looks dark without the shininess.

Which tint would work best if someone wants a black non reflective/shiny windows?

First off, crystalline is a 3M product, where as ceramic is used by many different companies ie. Llumar, Suntek, Huper Optik, etc. As ceramic used to be the top of the line film, now crystalline supposedly takes that spot.

If you are looking for a dark ceramic tint, Llumar CTX takes it. The 3M Crystalline is too reflective in my opinion.

Great thread.

A couple of questions:

Thanks.

I am an authorized 3M, Solar Gard, LLumar, SunTek dealer in San Antonio Texas. LLumar CTX has a great 45% VLT film as well as SunTek CXP with their 45% VLT film, each have high 88%~91% IR rejection. For the best performance I recommend the 3M Crystalline which has a 97% IR Rejection and we sale a lot of Solar Gard Ultra Performance down here in South Texas which also has a great IR rejection of 95% and that is a Full Spectrum IR rejection of 95%. I am sure which ever film you go with, all of them have great factory warranties.

What's the typical cost for 3M Crystalline for all windows (no windshield)? I was quoted $750 in San Diego. That seems high to me.

[Mod note: Advertising link removed]

I charge $540 for that film on the Model S. It really varies a lot with that film, some shops charge an extraordinary amount for that film and rightly so, it's a couple of grand just for the roll of film. Plus it's a very labor intensive product. The heat shrinking technique involved with that film is very time consuming.

Last edited by a moderator:
What's the typical cost for 3M Crystalline for all windows (no windshield)? I was quoted $750 in San Diego. That seems high to me.

I answered with a link just a little while ago and so a moderator is moderating that reply. I will post again without a link. Okay so that seems to me a bit high but not as high as I have other shop charge for the same film. I really depends on your location. We charge about $540 for that film here in San Antonio. Google 360 Tint