Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - Window Tinting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had 3M Crystaline 40 put on the side windows and hatch last weekend.

Its made a big difference in the AZ heat. I was getting warm even in the morning and temps in the low 80s the first few days I had the car. That doesn't happen anymore...

I had Prestige Spectra PhotoSync installed about a week ago. I went with the 65% because I was concerned about night visibility. The heat and IR rejection is not that different for the 55% and 65%. I can't tell I have it on at night. In the daytime, there is a gigantic difference in heat rejection. I'm now going to have my windshield tinted with 75%.

Here are some links that Prestige sent me to compare the 65% and 75%:

All windows SPH65%:
http://teamspeed.com/forums/991-997...orsche-991-clearguardx-spectra-photosync.html
http://www.luxury4play.com/audi/113545-r8-v10-9500ci-laser-jamming-system-spectra-photosync.html

All windows SPH75%:
http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/extr...6E4dXjqq4PM3CqYnNkJeIQ#6E4dXjqq4PM3CqYnNkJeIQ

Here is my car with 65%, although it's hard to tell in that photo:
View attachment 23670

Wow, that looks real good. I'm not a fan of dark tints, so this might just be the shade I'm looking for. Looks like I'll be getting the windshield done too. Thanks for sharing the links and photos. Very helpful! I'll post pics once mine is done. Prestige photosync it is.

40% 3M crystalline all around except front.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    650.3 KB · Views: 2,741
Pinnacle 35 vs. 50 + Air Blue 80

Here are some pictures of two Teslas with different shades of Formula One Pinnacle. The Multi-coat Red has 50 while the Signature Red (darker) has 35. Both have Air Blue 80 on the front windshields.
The second picture is looking through the Pinnacle 35 while the third is looking through Pinnacle 50. The fourth picture is looking through the Air Blue 80.
P1020583.JPG
P1020585.JPG
P1020589.JPG
P1020590.JPG
P1020591.JPG
P1020592.JPG

Last edited:
Luxury car newbie here... Can someone please explain what a "clear bra" is? Does everyone think they're worthwhile?

My daily commute will be ~40 miles total, with 35+ miles at 70+ mph on the highway.

"clear bra" = paint protection film or otherwise known as paint armor, particularly on the front of the car to protect against rock chips. To avoid derailing the thread, I'll refer you to the appropriate thread here: http://www.TeslaMotorsClub.com/showthread.php?t=8690

LLumar CTX 15 on the trunk window, 40 on the rear, and Air80 on the front door windows. I also had the factory paint armor removed from the hood and had a full wrap of 3M VentureShield installed. No more line! I think the tint makes the blue pop a bit more.

IMG_20130624_180516[1].jpg
IMG_20130624_180551[1].jpg
IMG_20130624_180534[1].jpg

I got lazy and let the guy who comes to the service enter in dania beach service center do my tint. He uses suntek carbon. I put suntek carbon 35 all the way around. Looks great actually and perfect for what I was looking for. Did I make a bad choice with the suntek? I went throught this whole thread and barely see it mentioned except for the suntek ctx, which I don't think is what they used.

I got lazy and let the guy who comes to the service enter in dania beach service center do my tint. He uses suntek carbon. I put suntek carbon 35 all the way around. Looks great actually and perfect for what I was looking for. Did I make a bad choice with the suntek? I went throught this whole thread and barely see it mentioned except for the suntek ctx, which I don't think is what they used.

I believe this is what they put on my car today as well. From what I've read/heard, carbon and ceramic are the two best choices out there.

Here's pics of my car coming back today. A couple of people were asking, so I may have gone a little overboard. Plus wanting pics from the inside looking out.

Tinted 45% all around, plus 80 on the windshield. NOTE: the moisture is still drying out on these, particularly the windshield. So its still a bit hazy. Other thing that concerns me on the windshield is how the tint messes with polarized sunglasses. I have a really nice pair of polarized driving glasses that aren't playing too well with the windshield. I'll give it a couple of weeks and either, A) buy a new pair of non-polarized glasses, or B) just take it off. 80% btw is barely noticeable tint, but it rejects something like 70+% of the heat, and I like the very very subtle touch it gives from the outside looking in.

Starting from the inside out...
IMG_3727w.jpg

IMG_3726w.jpg

IMG_3730w.jpg

IMG_3728w.jpg

Some of these outside shots below really make the tint look dark, and yet from other angles (in real life), you'd say it's very subtle.

IMG_3722w.jpg

The glare is really over powering the windows on this one to be of much value in tint eval.
IMG_4267w.jpg

A little bit of rainbow going on in this shot below. Will have to monitor this to see how it drys.
IMG_4269w.jpg

IMG_4270w.jpg

This shot below, might be the most accurate in depicting it's translucence.
IMG_4260w.jpg

I should have shot HDR.
IMG_4262w.jpg

IMG_4263w.jpg

IMG_4264w.jpg

So final thoughts, about riding inside now that the car has been tinted... it feels a little more closed in, a little more private, a little more intimate, a little bit more cozy. I think the 45% is the perfect amount for here in the NW, keeping it classy. Not sure I can recommend yet the windshield tint though. Time will tell as it cures.

Last edited:
NOTE: the moisture is still drying out on these, particularly the windshield. So its still a bit hazy. Other thing that concerns me on the windshield is how the tint messes with polarized sunglasses. I have a really nice pair of polarized driving glasses that aren't playing too well with the windshield. I'll give it a couple of weeks and either, A) buy a new pair of non-polarized glasses, or B) just take it off. 80% btw is barely noticeable tint, but it rejects something like 70+% of the heat, and I like the very very subtle touch it gives from the outside looking in.

Not sure I can recommend yet the windshield tint though. Time will tell as it cures.

Greg:

When the windshield cures, the clarity should become better and better. Just give it a few weeks.

I love the AB80, even with my polarized sunglasses. But if, after a few weeks, you don't get used to it, buy a non-polarized pair. That option greatly outweighs removing the AB80 and losing all your heat and glare protection. That front windshield is the biggest and most noticeable (because it's so close to the driver/front passenger) heatsink in the car.

Would like to see photos of the Spectra photosync made by Prestige if anyone has that on their cars. It's only been out for a year, but its supposed to have superior head reduction properties than even the crystalline and ceramics. Only goes down to a 35 VLT though, transitioning to 30 with strong sun. Pretty amazing BTU reduction video here:

Prestige Film Technologies Ultimate Window Tint - WOW! - YouTube

- - - Updated - - -

Would like to see photos of the Spectra photosync made by Prestige if anyone has that on their cars. It's only been out for a year, but its supposed to have superior head reduction properties than even the crystalline and ceramics. Only goes down to a 35 VLT though, transitioning to 30 with strong sun. Pretty amazing BTU reduction video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uppEGWJi0Jw&feature=youtube_gdata

This question is directed to the Seattle area drivers. I went to a well known window tinting business to get my car tinted. I was quoted $1200 to do the front/rear windshields and windows but not the panoroof with 3M crystalline. That sounds a few hundred dollars too high in my opinion. Anyone else getting/got full window tinting for a similar price? Am I wrong to think that this is too much to pay?

This question is directed to the Seattle area drivers. I went to a well known window tinting business to get my car tinted. I was quoted $1200 to do the front/rear windshields and windows but not the panoroof with 3M crystalline. That sounds a few hundred dollars too high in my opinion. Anyone else getting/got full window tinting for a similar price? Am I wrong to think that this is too much to pay?

I'm not from Seattle, but that sounds high. Here in LA that work would be $1000 at the place I did it and you can find places that are even cheaper.

Wow! Highway robbery it sounds like up North... and South.

I got the side and rear deck windows done for $335, and an extra $200 for the windshield. Granted he says he's giving our local Tesla group a discount, but I highly doubt it's half off. Maybe a $100 off or so. Don't know what full price is, but at this price it was a no brainier. Also... there's another tint shop just down the road that I heard was quoting around low $200 ish (for other cars)... but on the surface they seemed a little seedy to me. Apex here, is a good bunch of guys, and are doing a great job on our cars. PPF was $1295.

Someone in our group negotiated this with the owner, and he was eager to play. You might go and find the right company and do the same up there. It's great for their résumé/portfolio.