Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - Window Tinting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay, is it just me and my tint job, or is this something no one is really aware of... Rainbows and halos???

Got 45 carbon on the sides and back, 80 on the front. But 3 weeks later, I'm (still) getting rainbow like effects using polarized sunglasses looking out. Okay, okay, I don't have this issue if I use standard glasses. But I have also seen a very subtle rainbow across the glass whenlooking at the windshield from the outside - with normal vision (no sunglasses). I also have a slight haze, increased glare, or something less than starkly clear when just looking through the front windshield, depends on sun angle.

But the big thing I noticed just this evening are headlights (from behind through the tail gate window), causing light waves (not really halos) on each of the defog lines -- when looking through rear view mirror. No doubt where the tint film rolls over these wires.

I mean the car looks fantastic (mostly) from the outside, perfect balance in darkness. With the exception of the noted above, I love the windshield's ever so subtle tint from the outside.

Do I have a bad tint job, bad tint product type, or is this just something all tints have? Anyone else noticing these issues?

Okay, is it just me and my tint job, or is this something no one is really aware of... Rainbows and halos???

Got 45 carbon on the sides and back, 80 on the front. But 3 weeks later, I'm (still) getting rainbow like effects using polarized sunglasses looking out. Okay, okay, I don't have this issue if I use standard glasses. But I have also seen a very subtle rainbow across the glass whenlooking at the windshield from the outside - with normal vision (no sunglasses). I also have a slight haze, increased glare, or something less than starkly clear when just looking through the front windshield, depends on sun angle.

But the big thing I noticed just this evening are headlights (from behind through the tail gate window), causing light waves (not really halos) on each of the defog lines -- when looking through rear view mirror. No doubt where the tint film rolls over these wires.

I mean the car looks fantastic (mostly) from the outside, perfect balance in darkness. With the exception of the noted above, I love the windshield's ever so subtle tint from the outside.

Do I have a bad tint job, bad tint product type, or is this just something all tints have? Anyone else noticing these issues?

It's been discussed in this very thread... have you read it? Or at least searched on "rainbow"?

I just had my P85+ done through an outfit named Premiere Protection Films. Prior to getting my car, I spent an entire month lurking and reading here on various aspects of the car. One of which was the heat build up in the MS. I searched and also visited 4 different tint shops and almost went with 3M Crystalline until I read about Photosynch. Anyhoo, I went with Premiere in Fremont, CA just two days after picking up the car from the factory and those first two days the car was like a sauna with 95-100 degree days. Just getting into the car after it has been sitting outdoor for 1-2 hours, the seats were burning to the touch (we wore shorts).

After having Photosynch put onto the MS, the difference is night and day with the feel of the car. Now, in the same kind of temperatures outside and the car sitting outdoor for a couple hours, it is only warm. I am into conservation and range, and now I have my AC running at 1. Prior to Photosynch, it was usually at 7 or 8. I am extremely satisfied with the Photosynch and thank you all for pointing me to the right direction.

Hi, if you don't mind, how much did it cost to get this done at Premier?

I personally do not see the blue that some are talking about. Since hitting 100 degrees on several days, I was driving in total comfort as I made my way up to Napa. I was with a friend who drove his M3 and had Suntek tint. He had just a little bit too much to drink so we decided to just leave his car at one of the winery's parking lot and take my S. He immediately noticed a difference in the feel. It was slightly warm in my car with photosync whereas his was burning to the touch on the seats (we were wearing shorts). This is by far the best mod so far.

- - - Updated - - -

Hi, if you don't mind, how much did it cost to get this done at Premier?

I personally do not see the blue that some are talking about. Since hitting 100 degrees on several days, I was driving in total comfort as I made my way up to Napa. I was with a friend who drove his M3 and had Suntek tint. He had just a little bit too much to drink so we decided to just leave his car at one of the winery's parking lot and take my S. He immediately noticed a difference in the feel. It was slightly warm in my car with photosync whereas his was burning to the touch on the seats (we were wearing shorts). This is by far the best mod so far.

I guess what I'm saying, is there any objective comparisons for these aspects of tinting? Rather than an occasional posting.

I wear polarized glasses, but do not see the rainbow that you mention. Do you have the same tint? I also do not see the blue hue.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is a photo of my 2nd love. :) I did everything except for the panoroof.

Attachments

• c.jpg
    c.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2,140
Get the windscreen trust me. It's a big piece to let the heat in.

Are there specifications available on IR performance of the film laminated into the Model S windshield? Would adding 75 Photo-Sync make an additional noticeable difference in heat? Or did those of you who did the windshield do it primarily to match the look of the other windows? If you chose not to do the windshield - other than CA law or night vision concerns, why not?

My tint installer recommended against doing the windshield. He was concerned the extra tint might impair the function of that built into the glass, or even result in heat trapping between the internal laminated film and the one on the inside surface that could possibly even damage the glass. Has this concern ever come up before? (It is refreshing to have someone try NOT to sell you something! I guess I can always add it later.)

I wear polarized glasses, but do not see the rainbow that you mention. Do you have the same tint? I also do not see the blue hue.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks so much for posting the photo of the photosync on black, and on black wheels no less. More photos please!

What level tint is that? 65?

Thanks so much for posting the photo of the photosync on black, and on black wheels no less. More photos please!

What level tint is that? 65?

I have the 55 on the doors and 75 on the windscreen. It makes a bigg difference for us especially when we park the car outside (we have rarely purchased anything nice and the garage is full of junk) the entire day. Well worth it. We typically keep our cars a long long time (I gave my 1988 Corolla to my daughter and it's still driving), so it was a not a difficult decision for us to choose this. Costs more than what other companies charge for other tints, but from my old technology ways (I just converted to an iphone smartphone from a LG Envy basic phone) and slowly converting to more improved technology items, this was the right tint to get for my P85+.

Attachments

• d.jpg
    d.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,823
Are there specifications available on IR performance of the film laminated into the Model S windshield? Would adding 75 Photo-Sync make an additional noticeable difference in heat? Or did those of you who did the windshield do it primarily to match the look of the other windows? If you chose not to do the windshield - other than CA law or night vision concerns, why not?

My tint installer recommended against doing the windshield. He was concerned the extra tint might impair the function of that built into the glass, or even result in heat trapping between the internal laminated film and the one on the inside surface that could possibly even damage the glass. Has this concern ever come up before? (It is refreshing to have someone try NOT to sell you something! I guess I can always add it later.)

Not sure about IR numbers and data like that, but I base it on how I feel in the car and it's noticeably cooler. I saw this thread that might shed light in it, but I'm not a technical guru about this. They have a facebook page with a video of the windshield on the Tesla:

https://www.facebook.com/PrestigeFilmTechnologies

I got mine done at East Coast Tint & Design in Stuart Fl. They did a great job. I was going to do the front window but the police in the area put a notice out that they are targeting illegal tint (windshield tint only 6 inches down is legal) but doing the windshield would save the leather on the dash. So what I did was that I had 30% on the front doors, 20% on the rear doors, then 5% on both roof panels and rear window and the two small rear side windows. Doing the roof helps with the heat thru the glass

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    574.4 KB · Views: 1,736

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Darth. I'll confirm what brand of carbon I have on.

I'll certainly pay to get the right tint in place.
Not blueish, one that doesn't turn purple over time, one that doesn't affect cell signals... And one that doesn't go rainbow (with or without polarized shades).

Can anyone comment on tint laws as you drive from state-to-state? I have never gotten tint before but am strongly considering Photosync. I live in Maryland, where they require at least 35% transmission. What happens if you drive to another state? Are you bound by their laws, or just the laws where the car is registered? If the former, is there a "guaranteed legal" tint spec that is valid for all states?