Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - Window Tinting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am in the car 2-4 hours a day driving. Even the 50% on the pano roof I still feel some radiant heat over my head. Also I rarely look out my pano roof so I didn't care if it let less light in. Maybe its all in my head, but I think after tinting the pano roof i feel more radiant heat than before maybe because rest of the car is darker and cooler. not sure. I would done it at 35% second time around to block even more heat.

That's interesting, you're the first I've heard say that about the roof. I've heard from others that they don't feel it even in the sweltering heat. I'll have to test mine before I get it tinted and after.

Sounds like what I recommended. How do you like it? Are you happy with the results?

Yeah, it looks fantastic. Thanks!

Looking out through the windshield with my polarized sunglasses, I see a little rainbow on the top 6" or so with the Air80 but it's very tolerable and there's no ghosting or other effects. Looking out through the sides with my polarized sunglasses, the windshields and windows of other cars sometimes have a rainbow or pink or green hue, but it doesn't bother me.

I didn't have the car long enough beforehand (5 miles... lol) to be able to tell how much the tint is helping, but it's not too bright or glare-y. I've been keeping the climate control at 67 or 68 and the A/C runs pretty consistently at speed 4 or 5.

I was surprised to learn that it can take up to a month for the tint to cure completely.

Here's Formula One Pinnacle - 35 on the windows, 15 on the back - with Formula One Air 80 on the windshield, both installed by The Tint Pros in Huntington Beach. I decided to go with Pinnacle instead of PhotoSync for color (more charcoal-y to go with the black paint) since I'm more concerned with the look than with heat rejection. I was also a little concerned about PhotoSync being a new type of product with extremely limited availability; it just doesn't seem like there's been much opportunity for real-world testing/experiences with it yet. I wanted to go with something more established (yes, for no good reason/with no evidence otherwise).

View attachment 26728

View attachment 26729

View attachment 26730

Looks awesome. Roof a great place for photo shoot. I am still in awe of the heat rejection on photo synch, but love the look you have

I've been talking to Viet to get a Photosync installer setup in Seattle - Northwest Auto Salon has signed up to do Photosync installs. Blake, the owner, seems pretty excited about the film.

I went by earlier this week to look at the samples and didn't see any blue tint at all. All of the samples, from 65 down to 35, were all gray/charcoal in color. I don't know if they've revised the film based on feedback or if it's always been that way, but there was no color at all. Holding the lighter samples up to the windows on the car showed a little blue, but that's because the factory glass has a blue green tint, nothing to do with the film. The darker films just mask the factory glass tint, that's all.

I decided to go with 65 all around as it barely reduced visibility over the factory glass. The darker tints definitely looked darker to me from inside the car.

We'll see how it looks after it's installed on Tuesday.

I've been talking to Viet to get a Photosync installer setup in Seattle - Northwest Auto Salon has signed up to do Photosync installs. Blake, the owner, seems pretty excited about the film.

I emailed him also, and got a nice response but no installers in my area. The shop I plan on taking my car said they have no problem working with tints they don't normally use but they would have to charge for however much tint the manufacturer makes them buy because he didn't think anyone else would be interested in getting it...

If anyone is looking for a window tint shop in San Jose, I recommend Mr. Tint on Kiely near Stevens Creek. The folks there are courteous, friendly, and professional. They have done an outstanding job on our other car and SUV. I went with ceramic tint 40 on sides, 30 on rear hatch. There is definitely less glare and the car is cooler. I have seen other Model S's there before and felt comfortable with them taking care of the car.

Car Residential and Commercial windows tinting - Mistertint

Mr Tint.JPG

If anyone is looking for a window tint shop in San Jose, I recommend Mr. Tint on Kiely near Stevens Creek. The folks there are courteous, friendly, and professional. They have done an outstanding job on our other car and SUV. I went with ceramic tint 40 on sides, 30 on rear hatch. There is definitely less glare and the car is cooler. I have seen other Model S's there before and felt comfortable with them taking care of the car.

Warning - I met a gentleman @ Teslive who had it done at Mr Tint and they did some razor cuts in the paint. I'd be careful here with this comp fellow MS owners.

I had my doors and rear hatch tinted a couple of weeks ago with the Madico Wincos (60% on all doors, 30% on the rear). I'm very happy with it; it looks great and has made a HUGE thermal difference. In fact, the difference between the doors and the windshield is so pronounced that I now want (need!) to get the 75% Spectra Photosync on the windshield.

I was just quoted $350 to get the Photosync 75% on just the windshield. Sounds a bit high to me based on some of the numbers I've seen floating around on this thread...is that in the right ballpark?

I was just quoted $350 to get the Photosync 75% on just the windshield. Sounds a bit high to me based on some of the numbers I've seen floating around on this thread...is that in the right ballpark?

The San Diego Tesla Club has a club price of $120 to put AirBlue 80 on the front windshield of our Ss. But that was in conjunction with tinting the rest of the car with Formula One Pinnacle. Don't know what they would charge for the front windshield alone. I personally don't think Photosync is worth X3 times as much. AirBlue 80 works great but does have the rainbow effect with polarized sunglasses.
Our installer is Mr. Tint in Escondido.

Thanks araxara and Hometheatremaven. $260 is in line with what I was expecting... and $120-ish for AirBlue 80 sure sounds like it might be worth going that route instead. (And I'm always looking for an excuse to drive down to SD!).

So now I'm re-thinking whether or not to go with the Photosync. Looking at some specs, I'm wondering if it's really worth the price premium?

Should we be comparing "total solar energy rejected" or "infrared rejection"? Which is more important?

Spectra Photsync 75:
70% to 75.6% visible light transmission
53.5% to 61.3% total solar energy rejection
80% to 88% infrared rejection
http://www.prestige-films.com/docs/Photosync_DataSheet.pdf

3M Crystalline 70:
69% visible light transmission
50% total solar energy rejection
97% infrared rejection
http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediaw...EVs6EVs6E666666--&fn=Crystalline Brochure.pdf

Lumar Air 80:
78% visible light transmission
43% total solar energy rejection
(couldn't find infrared rejection spec)
http://www.formulaonetinting.com/window-films-offerred/uv-protection.html

Madico Wincos 60 (this is what I already put on all 4 doors...and it's a little darker than I'd like on my windshield):
68% visible light transmission
44% total solar energy rejection
92% infrared rejection

Madico Wincos 70 (if I can even find it; my installer doesn't stock it):
74% visible light transmission
42% total solar energy rejection
92% infrared rejection
http://www.wincosir.com/car_tint.html

The San Diego Tesla Club has a club price of $120 to put AirBlue 80 on the front windshield of our Ss. But that was in conjunction with tinting the rest of the car with Formula One Pinnacle. Don't know what they would charge for the front windshield alone. I personally don't think Photosync is worth X3 times as much.
Here are Total Solar Energy Rejection (TSER) figures:

AirBlue 80 - 43% TSER (http://www.llumar.com/pdf/News/NRAIRBlueLaunch.pdf)
Crystalline 70 - 50% TSER (http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediaw...EVs6E666666--&fn=Auto WF Performance Data.pdf)
Crystalline 90 - 34% TSER (http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediaw...EVs6E666666--&fn=Auto WF Performance Data.pdf)
PhotoSync 75 - 61.3% TSER (http://www.prestige-films.com/docs/Photosync_DataSheet.pdf)

(Beat me to it - Industry standard is comparing TSER)

I'll throw another wrinkle in here for others to think about. I prefer darker window colors and neither 3M Crystalline or Photosync provide that. I ended up settling on Suntek CXP. It has the same lifetime warranties as the other top offerrings, comes in shades down to 5%, and in the lower shades offers 59% TSER.

I'll throw another wrinkle in here for others to think about. I prefer darker window colors and neither 3M Crystalline or Photosync provide that. I ended up settling on Suntek CXP. It has the same lifetime warranties as the other top offerrings, comes in shades down to 5%, and in the lower shades offers 59% TSER.

Yup, but probably not such a good idea on a windshield. ;)

I had air 80 on my previous car and now the photosync on the tesla. There is a difference in heat blockage so you get what you paid for. I figure I am in the car alot and in and out frequently (2-4hrs a day) so I went with photosync all around. If you are not, just get the air 80 with pinnacle F1 tint. The major heat difference would be only felt during the initial 10 min in the car or so at any shade anyways. After the AC is on, the difference is minimal.

I got my car tinted in the first couple of days after I received it last November - 3M Crystalline 40 all-around w/ 70 on the windscreen.

I drove a stock P85 the weekend before last as a loaner while my car was getting its 25k health check - omg does the car get hot...

I cannot imagine living with the car without a good tint.

I've never had Air80, but I've had Huper before and it was like Snapple "the best stuff on earth". I too feel a noticeable diff with Photosynch. Personally a small price to pay for my $115,000 car. I do plan on keeping this one for a long long time.