Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S/X Owners Have Priority Model 3 Orders Over Non-Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Specifics vary, but some credits can be "carried forward," meaning they do not have to used the year they were collected. I have one such credit that can be carried forward three years and I very vaguely remember reading about a credit that be carried for five years.

The Colorado Alt car credit is remarkably generous, refundable, and can be used for used and leased cars too. I don't however know if each year has a cap amount the state is willing to hand out. I'll have to find out as the time to build approaches.

Addendum: Not from the IRS, but here is some verbiage regarding the federal tax return:
"
Can I carry over my unused credit amount to a different tax year?

To the extent the credit is treated as a personal credit (i.e., attributable to personal driving) any unused credit can’t be carried over to another tax year. However, to the extent the vehicle is used in the purchaser’s business, a proportionate amount of the credit is treated as a general business credit and the unused business credit can be carried over to another tax year.

"
My state is behind the times as it relates to EV tax incentives. I just paid almost $9k in sales tax on my recent Tesla purchase. The only benefit they give you is the ability to use the HOV lane without the required number of passengers but there are no HOV lanes near me.

I just hope all the Tesla employees take delivery of their Model 3 vehicles first.

That way the Tesla employees can work through any corrective processes before the perfect production begins!

And above all, may Tesla Motors have one production quality Model 3 in every Tesla Store showroom before the Model 3 Design Studio is active.
I agree but Tesla has already stated more heavily optioned cars will be produced first. Therefore unless the employees buy the higher optioned Model 3 they won't be the first to get their cars. Maybe some of the managers will order fully loaded cars but probably not the average worker.

I know most of us here are fans of Tesla but as we know almost nothing about the car(that isn't even unveiled yet) comments like these are ignorant.
We know some things. 35k USD, 200+ miles range, supercharging and 20% smaller than Model S might well be enough firm data to conclude that there are no comparable products. ;)

1) +1 in agreement

2) Thank you.. There is no reason to assume every current tesla or tesla employee will all purchase a model 3.. There will be a couple hundred to low thousand ahead of a non owner but thats probably it at most....

3) That's also correct to it will be in stages... If you are going high options you wait will probably be insignificant at best.

I think you will be surprised how many employees will buy the Model 3. When I was at the SC the other day that was all they could talk about. They were trying to find out if they could reserve more than one. You have all of the employees at the factory in Fremont, at the headquarters in Palo Alto, the employees at the Gigafactory, at the service centers and at the stores. From the financial reports there are around 12k employee in the US. They are currently hiring employees. There are around 80k current owners who will have the option as they are also including those who have ordered a Model X and are waiting for delivery. A lot of current owners want to also purchase multiple Model 3's.

We are talking a total of 92,000 people who have the option. I think at least 20-25% will make a reservation and some will buy more than one car. This is on the conservative side. This would equate to at least 18k-20k+ cars. As in the past they start production slow (100 a week ) and move it slowly up until they get to capacity. With the Modrl X there was issues and Tesla shut down production for over a month during January/February. The last time I was at the factory the plan was to move the Model S and X to the new production line since they share the same chassis and put the Model 3 on the old production line. This line can produce around 40-50k+ cars per year. All three models will be competing for resources as they will continue to build S and X which have a higher margin. It will probably take at least 6-8 months to produce 20k car and probably only 40-45k cars first year. Since they will be producing heavily optioned cars first most of the cars produced in the first year will either be highly optioned or people who have priority.

Eventually the factory will be expanded to produce 500k cars per year but this isn't to 2020.

I know most of us here are fans of Tesla but as we know almost nothing about the car(that isn't even unveiled yet) comments like these are ignorant.
Tesla exceeded expectations with both the Model S and Model X. Therefore there is no reason to think they will not exceed expectations with the Model 3. When you make a reservation you must have confidence they will meet or exceed the expectations they have set. If you are saying I am ignorant because I believe Tesla will meet these expectations then you must be saying Tesla will fail or there is some other manufacture who will deliver a superior product in the same time period for a similar price. I would really be interested in who you are betting on. Your comment interesting because I have recently been criticized for being too hard on Tesla. From my perspective the only thing I am concerned with is the timeframe. Tesla has been behind schedule on every car they have produced by 2-3 years. I think late 2017/early 2018 is very aggressive based on their history. But considering they are supposedly ahead of schedule with the prototype I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt until proven wrong. We will have to see what they present on March 31st. I have no reservation in putting a $1k as I am betting on Tesla.

Reactions: trinites1a
I agree but Tesla has already stated more heavily optioned cars will be produced first. Therefore unless the employees buy the higher optioned Model 3 they won't be the first to get their cars. Maybe some of the managers will order fully loaded cars but probably not the average worker.

This is of course one possible scenario, an another is that they produce the car for the employees first (maybe from highest to lowest optioned), then start with the highest optioned cars for their customers.

There is no comparable product to the Model 3, an all electric luxury sedan with a range of 200 miles at a base cost of $35,000. Other than the Bolt the cars you mention are not all electric and the Bolt is not a luxury sedan. The 2017 Volt with an electric range of less than 45 has a higher base price of $40-$45k. The Volt and Bolt are not sold in most states and are only available mainly in California and Northeast Corridor. There are non sold within 1000 miles of my location.

This is why I'm still driving around my 2007 Prius with 230,000 miles. I'm ready to get a new car and I'm now able to spend enough to get me into the entry level luxury market. After driving the prius for 9 years I can't get myself to sacrifice MPG so I'm appalled at the fact that there are no luxury vehicles that get high MPG. For some reason car makers think if you want to upgrade your interior you must want a beast of an engine that guzzles premium gas. No thank you.

The only current car that comes close to my needs are a highly optioned prius or volt. Neither are quite the bmw 3 series/lexus IS type interior that I'm looking for and both unfortunately still have ICE that will require oil changes.

Now instead of bashing Tesla, why not sign a petition to renew this tax credit program (I recall a TMC member already filed one). Also, this can vary based on the next presidential election and his/her views towards electric cars. If Trump wins I'll have other things to worry about and "tax credit" won't be my priority :)

Virgin Poster here...

This is what happened in Ontario, Canada. They've actually increased the tax credit now from $8,000 to a potential $13,000 or $14,000 (14K if it's considered a 5-seater) and extended the program. The US should try to extend it to further encourage mass adoption.

I'm obviously rushing out on march 31st to reserve. To get a luxury car with a 14,000 tax rebate is a no brainer for me!

Reserving your Model 3
Looks like the order will be:
1. Location
2. Employee/owner/non-owners
3. Options
They did specify that "the fastest way to own a model 3 is to own a model s".... Not sure if that means non-owners are able to jump past owners (who order base models) by checking all the boxes...
but yay West Coast!!

Based on past history and their statements, I think it's more likely to be:
1. Options
2. Location
3. Employee/Owner/Non-owner

For example, I would expect a highly configured Model 3 in CA for a new buyer to be delivered before a base model on the east coast for a current owner. Profit margin per car will most likely still trump all other considerations when it comes to delivery priority. (like it currently does on the X)

Reactions: MrBoylan
As a current Model S owner, I plan on reserving 2 (two) Model 3s online in April 1

#2 reservation will be used to help someone - not sure who exactly yet, but friends/ extended family etc - get a Model 3 perhaps sooner than they otherwise might
If, at any point in the reservation/ order/ configuration/ production process, either one of these reservations is no longer needed, I intend to offer that reservation spot to forum members here at the earliest point possible - at no upcharge or markup.

Can you actually do that? Transfer your spot to someone else? I figured the reservation was attached to a single name?

2019 it is then for a real EV, if I live that long.
Or, look at a CPO Model S in another year or two. Each upgrade makes the trades from the previous one look attractive. I'll bet when the, say, 110 kWh S's arrive 85's will be very cheap, even though their feature-function will continue to be updated.
Unless the physical size is an issue for you, I'll also wager that a good many loaded S's will be traded for loaded 3's. I strongly suspect I'll not be the only one doing that :D

I believe that the priority queue for X, S (and yes, Roadster) owners will be just one priority reservation for each Tesla you own.

In other words, if you have two Teslas in your garage, you'll be prioritized for two Model 3s. If you only have one, the priority spot in the reservation queue will only be applied to the first Model 3 you order.

I believe that the priority queue for X, S (and yes, Roadster) owners will be just one priority reservation for each Tesla you own.

In other words, if you have two Teslas in your garage, you'll be prioritized for two Model 3s. If you only have one, the priority spot in the reservation queue will only be applied to the first Model 3 you order.
This certainly seems the most equitable way to manage the perk.

Virgin Poster here...

This is what happened in Ontario, Canada. They've actually increased the tax credit now from $8,000 to a potential $13,000 or $14,000 (14K if it's considered a 5-seater) and extended the program. The US should try to extend it to further encourage mass adoption.

I'm obviously rushing out on march 31st to reserve. To get a luxury car with a 14,000 tax rebate is a no brainer for me!

Mostly correct pmich...the difference here is that the U.S. incentive program is Federal, and the program you are speaking of is Provincial (only B.C. / ON & P.Q....everyone else in other provinces are SOL)...it'd be nice if our Fed Guv kicked in with an incentive program, or even better, waive the import duty.

Based on past history and their statements, I think it's more likely to be:
1. Options
2. Location
3. Employee/Owner/Non-owner

For example, I would expect a highly configured Model 3 in CA for a new buyer to be delivered before a base model on the east coast for a current owner. Profit margin per car will most likely still trump all other considerations when it comes to delivery priority. (like it currently does on the X)

Note that it doesn't have to be a strict hierarchy. For instance it could be something like this:

For the first two months they ship only high spec cars on the west coast, starting with higher priority reservations and the moving on to lower. However, even before they've shipped all of these they start shipping to more regions, and they start with higher spec cars in the new regions while simultaneously shipping lower spec cars on the west coast. There are a ton of different variations, and they will roll out the car however they choose. Given past history it will be in a completely unfathomable fashion that has tons of threads speculating and complaining for months on end.