Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S&X Price Adjustments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good to know from someone with real world experience with other EVs. Tesla has certainly done a lot right. They started building the network right from the beginning and they have been doing so now for over a decade. We have taken trips in our X and it was easy for sure. About as easy as driving a traditional ICE car.

I may be sounding negative on this thread but to my friends I am a Tesla lover. I have been promoting them since the original roadster which I loved...wish I would have bought one of those as I am a fan of small, lightweight sports cars. They are now selling for 2-3x from where they were just a few years ago.

I want to call out where Tesla really did not make good decisions with their excessive price gouging (not really driven by increased cost of supply chain). Many customers love the idea of a direct sale to consumer and assume they wont get "screwed" like they would at a dealer. This would be a false assumption. In my mind there is no getting less screwed by Tesla v. a dealer. As a matter of fact it may be worse with Tesla and they're doing it at a mass level.

Their buying experience wasn't great either, especially for a $100k+ vehicle. Felt like I'm going to the back of some warehouse with picnic style tables and no place to sit down. I'm coming from a Lexus and I will tell you this. I prefer the Lexus dealer experience 10X over Tesla. They treat you like royalty and have very nice facility for their customers. And to be honest their cars are built so well. Very solid, smooth, no creaks, perfectly aligned everything, great materials and hold up very well even after 10 years.

BTW how is your Taycan? It's one of the best looking EVs on the market and Porsche knows how to build sports cars. I've had my eye on that for a while.
The Taycan is really a great touring car. I have the 4S and it’s really efficient. Rated at 199 with the larger battery and alway getting around 345 range. Smooth, great handling, like an actual Porsche, and comfort. The only real negative is the PCM infotainment. It’s slow, laggy and not incredibly intuitive. It does support wireless CarPlay but there been times on a short trip it hasn’t 4fen finished booting up. Last update has helped the slow boot issue but has a way to go. The passenger screen is helpful.

The Taycan is really a great touring car. I have the 4S and it’s really efficient. Rated at 199 with the larger battery and alway getting around 345 range. Smooth, great handling, like an actual Porsche, and comfort. The only real negative is the PCM infotainment. It’s slow, laggy and not incredibly intuitive. It does support wireless CarPlay but there been times on a short trip it hasn’t 4fen finished booting up. Last update has helped the slow boot issue but has a way to go. The passenger screen is helpful.
Always wanted a Porsche and was looking at the new EVs coming. Interested in both the Cayman EV and Macan EV. Now you know why I’m pissed at losing about $60-$65k in one year! That will now have to wait a while.

All these people that say well don’t you know your car depreciates. Well duh everyone knows cars depreciate. Just not like a Tesla recently. Nothing depreciates like a Tesla as of recently.

Anyways one day I’m gonna have a Porsche….

$45k from Tesla cuts, $20k in actual depreciation. Tesla offered me a solid $65k on a one year old car, less than 10k miles. I paid double that exactly a year ago.
You will always get ripped off with a trade in no matter what brand. Get the most $ by selling it yourself. A trade in is a convenience and cost $. In 2022 an X Plaid cost $126,000, now they are going for $90,000. That's $36,000 Tesla price cut.

@Kan-O-Z I don't think you can change anyone's mind who is too dumb to realize that it is the REFERENCE against which the depreciation is based which has been reduced by $36K for absolutely no logical reason (i.e., not like a new model has been released and ours are now old). Nobody thinks that the cars appreciate (except maybe a certain snake oil salesman). But, our Model X Plaid depreciating by 25% (for example) in one year based on the price we paid would be $126K*0.75=$94,500, and the same 25% depreciation based on today's price of $90K is $67,500 -- that is a $27K loss ON TOP OF the 25% depreciation in one year!

Ps. Nobody forced me to purchase my MXP at the price I paid, so I am not blaming anyone. A lesson learned, albeit a very expensive one!

Last edited:
Reactions: Kan-O-Z
@Kan-O-Z I don't think you can change anyone's mind who is too dumb to realize that it is the REFERENCE against which the depreciation is based which has been reduced by $36K for absolutely no logical reason (i.e., not like a new model has been released and ours are now old). Nobody thinks that the cars appreciate (except maybe a certain snake oil salesman). But, our Model X Plaid depreciating by 25% (for example) in one year based on the price we paid would be $126K*0.75=$94,500, and the same 25% depreciation based on today's price of $90K is $67,500 -- that is a $27K loss ON TOP OF the 25% depreciation in one year!

Ps. Nobody forced me to purchase my MXP at the price I paid, so I am not blaming anyone. A lesson learned, albeit a very expensive one!
I hope if Tesla increases price of its car in a few months, @Kan-O-Z comes out and thanks Tesla as forcefully. Prices go up and down, Sometimes more sometimes less. That does not mean we keep singing same tunes for months. My extended family bought Model S with FSD in January for nearly 120k , just two days before the prices started dropping. While they feel sad at times, they still enjoy the car. As long as you can enjoy the car, you have lost nothing. Try going to other EV Forums. People bought $150k+ cars that they have sold for less than 100K because they were not happy with the product and there were no takers either. Your losses are on paper and have a chance of recovering, they have truly lost money. In a nutshell, grass is greener on this side as you can still enjoy the car.

I hope if Tesla increases price of its car in a few months, @Kan-O-Z comes out and thanks Tesla as forcefully. Prices go up and down, Sometimes more sometimes less. That does not mean we keep singing same tunes for months. My extended family bought Model S with FSD in January for nearly 120k , just two days before the prices started dropping. While they feel sad at times, they still enjoy the car. As long as you can enjoy the car, you have lost nothing. Try going to other EV Forums. People bought $150k+ cars that they have sold for less than 100K because they were not happy with the product and there were no takers either. Your losses are on paper and have a chance of recovering, they have truly lost money. In a nutshell, grass is greener on this side as you can still enjoy the car.
Thanks I know you are trying to get me to see the positive side. I am not going to rejoice if Tesla raises its prices. It would mean they will reduce it again and someone will lose out later again. Price gouging is not good practice. This is why we all hate dealers.

I guess in a nutshell I was hoping that buying directly from Tesla would be more like buying a TV, phone, computer or an appliance. Prices are fairly steady (except sales or new versions coming to market). You don’t see typically see a new “regular” price change week to week. You also don’t see huge price gouging when demand is high.

Thanks I know you are trying to get me to see the positive side. I am not going to rejoice if Tesla raises its prices. It would mean they will reduce it again and someone will lose out later again. Price gouging is not good practice. This is why we all hate dealers.

I guess in a nutshell I was hoping that buying directly from Tesla would be more like buying a TV, phone, computer or an appliance. Prices are fairly steady (except sales or new versions coming to market). You don’t see typically see a new “regular” price change week to week. You also don’t see huge price gouging when demand is high.
I know it’s hard but give yourself time. This shall pass and 5 years from now, hopefully, you remember fun times in the car more than anything else.

Porsche Taycans have terrible depreciation.
And terrible reliability. I just dumped my 2nd one about a month ago. It stranded me several times and the last was the straw that broke the camel's back.

But damn, it's a sexy looking vehicle!

Attachments

• IMG_5283.JPG
    IMG_5283.JPG
    419.3 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_5284.JPG
    IMG_5284.JPG
    236.8 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_5515.JPG
    IMG_5515.JPG
    358.6 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_5639.JPG
    IMG_5639.JPG
    345.5 KB · Views: 71
  • PXL_20230712_012545620.jpg
    PXL_20230712_012545620.jpg
    443.7 KB · Views: 81
  • PXL_20230712_012728922 Copy.JPG
    PXL_20230712_012728922 Copy.JPG
    593 KB · Views: 78
If they were selling like hotcakes, Tesla would not have dropped the price. Plus, whose to say a new model isn’t coming out?
I actually believe that a refreshed Model S/X is closer than we think. Other EV players definitely have a better built car. if Tesla does not move quickly to improve the build (Rattles, Suspension, Noise, Interior Luxury, Range), it would have to continue to drop prices for selling S/X. There is a healthy market for a better luxury EV and Tesla is not even a player in it at the moment. Many people are buying $100k+ cars and Tesla is not even a consideration for them because of listed issues. A software so good deserves a better built car.

It won't lessen the blow, but the drop isn't exactly unprecedented. If you've watched the prices for awhile, you'd see a few times in the past that prices dropped 15-20k for the MXP alone. Just had to see it in this sheet.

It won't lessen the blow, but the drop isn't exactly unprecedented. If you've watched the prices for awhile, you'd see a few times in the past that prices dropped 15-20k for the MXP alone. Just had to see it in this sheet.

Wow! Have never seen such granular data. Seems like we have one awesome deal going on right now.

Reactions: zoomer0056
Can you image if Tesla did commercials like Apple iphones
And showed the value of fuel vs EV and the rebates & incentive vs ice vehicles? People are just unaware of what is available for cars. For a company that has no commercial or sponsorship endorsement. Tesla is on the right track . The cars sellls itself.

They were pretty deceptive with their "potential savings" marketing online

Reactions: MоdelPleb