Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S75 Vs Model S100D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The 75D is more than enough range for most commuting/ leisure driving. Unless you're looking to do a lot of roadtrips or looking to buy a performance car, the battery upgrade isn't worth the cost. I end up charging every night kind of like you do with a cell phone so it's always ready to go.

Some people try to justify it with battery degradation which has proven to be minimal and you're still getting depreciation on the extra 20k. Tesla battery data shows path to over 500,000 miles on a single pack

Reactions: Drone Flyer
carbonx,

thank you for your advice, I am looking at a s75 right now. Does the D make that much a difference in the real world. Daily commute is 32 miles roundtrip and Level 2 charger at work so supercharging is not really needed, a nice perk though. The other car we have is the family car, thought about the Model X but cant justify the $40K price difference...

Did you get your model S new or inventory or showroom discount? Is there much of a difference?

If you won't be traveling a lot in the S then you're definitely fine with a 75. You should always have enough range to make it from supercharger to supercharger. The upside of more range is that you could possibly be able to skip a charger here and there when traveling.

Depends on whether you live in the northern or southern states.

Winter cold reduces real world range by 35-50%.

Not sure if that’s a factor for you but it is for us. A 75D mileage at half would definitely create too much range anxiety!

• Informative
Reactions: PrGrPa
Is it really worth the extra $20K for the 50 plus mileage range? A base S75 plus upgraded seats roughly is $72K. The same S100D would cost $97,300. Besides economics, mileage, and AWD, what are the advantages/disadvantages in the real world?
I have a 100 mile commute and for 2 years my s 75 S has been amazing. Even in 0°F it’s been more tthan enough. I’ve traveled 1200 miles to Disney and 900 to Chicago. Take a look at available super chargers along places you go regularly and places you plan on going to. I have to say I had range anxiety when I bought and it quickly went away. I’m super confident taking it on trips of any kind.

Reactions: dcmetro
The price diffrerence is not justified as Tesla lowers pricing on 60 to 75 kWh battery upgrade to $2000 ahead of 100D, P100D price increase on April 24

This means that the cost of a kwh is $2000/15kwh~$135/kwh and the price difference between 100D and 75D (especially now when both are "unplugged") should be around 25kwh x $135/kwh ~ $3375.

Tesla will lower prices if people stop buying the 100D with its crazy pricing. This is also probably why Tesla tries to keep the CPO inventory of 100Ds empty so it doesn't get burnt itself (like in the past) when prices are dropped.

See related discussion:

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Electricious
carbonx,

thank you for your advice, I am looking at a s75 right now. Does the D make that much a difference in the real world. Daily commute is 32 miles roundtrip and Level 2 charger at work so supercharging is not really needed, a nice perk though. The other car we have is the family car, thought about the Model X but cant justify the $40K price difference...

Did you get your model S new or inventory or showroom discount? Is there much of a difference?

Not to much difference on the D which is currently the only option anyway. Also no difference on New, Inventory, or Showroom. Not sure what's going on but it appears that all inventory cars have been sold out for months.

Is it really worth the extra $20K for the 50 plus mileage range?
It’s a 76 mile range difference— 75D is 259 miles and 100D is 335 miles. That can make a huge difference in the amount of time supercharging on trips, if you don’t need to charge past 80% with the longer range battery. It also enables some round trips without charging that wouldn’t be possible with the smaller battery. Depends on your use case.

• Informative
100D also supercharges faster, if you use superchargers.
But I've been more than happy with my 75D.
The D is worth it in my opinion, gives you more range and performance and grip, all for a pretty small premium.

I have a 75D and honestly if you don't plan on taking regular trips that the 100 can cover on a single charge and the 75 can't then I would go with the 75 which is why that why I did, on a 75 you should have no issue at all getting everywhere you need to.

Thank you all for your advice. Now I just need to find an inventory or showroom car. I have called a few OAs and each one gives me different answers on availability, if any. How gets credit or the points if they work on an hourly basis? Also, anybody bought a car and traded in a car? How was your experience?

75 is the better value, 100 is the better car.

With 100 you get additional performance, range and resale value.
Charging is faster and you don't need to charge to 100% as often.
When touring you will make less Supercharger stops and your time at the chargers will be less as you can more easily drive in the middle of the battery charge.

Wether this is worth it will depend on the customer.

Most people can get away with a 75, but there is no getting around the fact that the larger battery is pretty tempting.

Thank you all for your advice. Now I just need to find an inventory or showroom car. I have called a few OAs and each one gives me different answers on availability, if any. How gets credit or the points if they work on an hourly basis? Also, anybody bought a car and traded in a car? How was your experience?

The non d 75 had been gone for several months. Also inventory has been nearly non existent last few months. Your options will probably end up buying used or custom building one.

I'd build the car exactly how you dream it to be, then look at inventory. When spending this kind it cash, you want to get exactly what you dream. I wouldn't sacrifice any detail, no matter how small.

I went back and forth for some time on this decision also. I went with the 100D and am very happy I did.

I do mainly 30-75 mile trips around town but do longer 150+ mile runs on rare occasions. I kept looking at the ~75 mile difference and wondering if it was worth the 20k delta. As others have stated, both options will be great cars. But keep in mind that you really only use the “middle” of your battery so the overall range is misleading. You normally don’t charge to 100% (Tesla recommends 90) and you never drive to 0. So if you go from 90 to 15% as an example you are only using 75% of your range. Factor in real vs ideal range and you soon see the extra 25kw size is nice to have.

Three cases for a 100 -
  • Distance travel (more range, faster charging). Check a few trips in abetterrouteplanner.com
  • Cold weather
  • Day/weekend trips - say to a city without supercharging. The times I appreciate the 100 the most is when I spend a weekend away (Austin -> San Antonio for example) and I cannot find a hotel with destination charging and there is not a supercharger.
Above cases will get better as more superchargers come online. Unless lines negate the benefit.

I have to admit, I used range to justify the increased performance 100 purchase. Now that the 75 has similar performance it would have been a harder choice.

I have a three day weekend this weekend and next out of town chasing kids around for sports events. Does make me glad to have the 100.

Remember to use a referral code for the
$500 accessory credit.

• Informative