Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X - 2013 Detroit Auto Show

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What would make us excited for the X would be the extra headroom, the all wheel drive (for winter mountain driving), a fold down split third row like the S but forward facing and regular old dino-style back doors... basically, if we could have something approximating the Toyota Highlander but EV and X-like, we'd put down a reservation tomorrow!

Probably not the right thread to discuss this, but I share your sentiment. I have a 10 year old SUV that I would like to eventually replace. But I need the Utility part of the SUV. I need to be able to toss stuff on the roof: skis, bikes, cargo boxes, christmas trees (sorry kids, you can no longer come with daddy to pick out the christmas tree, because once it's on the roof you can't get in or out of the car). I need AWD for winter mountain driving. I need plenty of range and extended battery life so I can drive to a remote camping location, let the car sit for a few days, and then make it back home without having to plug in.

Since I just bought the S, I'm planning on holding onto my existing SUV for a couple years longer to see how the Model X shapes up. If they just made the falcon wing doors optional and offered a larger battery pack, I think I'd be ready to buy... Oh, almost forgot, it needs a few more cup holders....

Probably not the right thread to discuss this, but I share your sentiment. I have a 10 year old SUV that I would like to eventually replace. But I need the Utility part of the SUV. I need to be able to toss stuff on the roof: skis, bikes, cargo boxes, christmas trees (sorry kids, you can no longer come with daddy to pick out the christmas tree, because once it's on the roof you can't get in or out of the car). I need AWD for winter mountain driving. I need plenty of range and extended battery life so I can drive to a remote camping location, let the car sit for a few days, and then make it back home without having to plug in.

Since I just bought the S, I'm planning on holding onto my existing SUV for a couple years longer to see how the Model X shapes up. If they just made the falcon wing doors optional and offered a larger battery pack, I think I'd be ready to buy... Oh, almost forgot, it needs a few more cup holders....

Sounds like you've got some great thoughts about how Tesla could improve on Model S with Model X... why don't you head on over here and leave some ideas: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/12556-Lessons-from-Model-S-to-be-applied-to-Model-X

I keep reading up on the show, looking at the photos, hoping for some explanation of what nifty alternative to a roof rack is being offered. seems a while back there was something put out suggesting that they had an alternative that would impress... still waiting and hoping. Maybe it's a testament to how "outside the box" the S is that I am at all hopeful that they have a trick up their sleeve that I just can't imagine. Looking at the pictures, the X just has the feeling of super exotic, ultra gloss fancy, when what we want is practical, rugged and pure EV. I hate to say it, but VW's plug in hybrid, CrossBlue, is looking like a good interim option for us while we "wait and see".

Interesting hint about Model X pricing which I haven't seen before:

Electric Tesla Model X to compete with premium SUVs, minivans | Windsor Star

Though he would not disclose pricing, Franz von Holzhausen, Tesla’s chief designer said Model X will be priced competitively with premium SUVs and about five to 10 per cent more than the Tesla S four-door sedan which starts at $57,400 US. Production is expected to begin next year at Tesla’s plant in Fremont, Calif.

Interesting hint about Model X pricing which I haven't seen before:

Electric Tesla Model X to compete with premium SUVs, minivans | Windsor Star

First I have heard of an increase in price over the Model S. Those fancy doors have to cost a pretty penny in research and implementation. I wish they had stuck to more conventional door solutions and passed the savings on to us consumers. That 5 to 10 percent is also probably over the new Model S price not the old one. Add an AWD option and this quickly becomes an extremely expensive CUV.

RE pricing and former statements that Model X will be 'similar in pricing to the Model S'... My assumption has always been the X will be *similar* IF similar options (ie, no AWD), similar battery, and similar to the price of the Model S at the point in time that the X is shipped.

Meaning I've never thought I'd be paying about the same for a 2014 Model X as I would for a similarly-equipped 2012 Model S. (Wonder what Model S will be selling for then?) Then add on AWD and the biggest battery they have and performance and and and ... well, I'm not expecting to get off cheaply.

#couponcutting

I do believe Tesla has said they would be available in March. Model X sill be more than a year after that.

I think you are right. However, I read EcoHeliGuy's comment a little differently. I thought he was saying that by the time the Model X ships, they will have discontinued the 40 KW option. I think there is some evidence to support this. Namely, not selling a 40 kW model in Europe, and the statement that all future products they ship will be compatible with the Superchargers.