Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X 90kWh battery pack degradation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model 3 supposedly have changeable modules. I doubt the model s is that way unless they change something with the battery module recently with the raven model s change.

The Model S&X modules are just as changeable as the Model 3 ones. Of course the S&X have 16 while the Model 3 only has 4.

The only discussion I have seen of changing modules for the Model 3 was when the pack was too degraded to be useful and you could have Tesla replace all 4 modules...

• Love
Reactions: Ocelot
Please share some experience with Supercharger power (and hence speed) on these packs. Just charged 3%-70% in 45 minutes with a max peak power at 94kW and hard taper at 60%. This is now my new normal, not just this one episode. Charging up that span used to take half an hour and peak powers were 130-140's. After driving a younger-by-six-months loaner with higher initial supercharging power and overall faster charging it really hit home when my in-car nav was off by the extra half an hour I needed to spend charging when driving my car the same route as the slightly newer car. Tesla says this is normal. It may be common, but how can this be "normal"?

Please share some experience with Supercharger power (and hence speed) on these packs. Just charged 3%-70% in 45 minutes with a max peak power at 94kW and hard taper at 60%. This is now my new normal, not just this one episode. Charging up that span used to take half an hour and peak powers were 130-140's. After driving a younger-by-six-months loaner with higher initial supercharging power and overall faster charging it really hit home when my in-car nav was off by the extra half an hour I needed to spend charging when driving my car the same route as the slightly newer car. Tesla says this is normal. It may be common, but how can this be "normal"?

Oh boy.. I haven't seen any news that 90 packs in the X might be showing a 'chargegate-like' issue. Following closely as I rarely supercharge, but when I do it's with the family on a road trip and this will really extend our travel time.

Did well with my unicorn 90D. 12/16 date.

Attachments

• IMG_20190918_150851~2.jpg
    IMG_20190918_150851~2.jpg
    588.5 KB · Views: 265
  • Informative
Reactions: Gwgan
X 90D, built March 2017, ~45k miles.

During my last supercharging session a month ago, I hit a peak of 129 kW. That was my first session with the "faster charging" software update. Before it, I had never seen anything above 112 kW.

Charging rates aside, I'm seeing a strange drop in indicated range at 90%. It was 222-223 for the longest time, but recently it's been dropping about a mile every week. I'm now down to 218 miles @ 90%. Doesn't seem related, but will definitely keep an eye on this. Also haven't tried doing a 100% charge yet.

I hit 146kw as I posted in my previous pic at the Dayton, OH Supercharger. I was on my way home from a business trip and it was a mandatory stop in my navigation. I'm guessing we can hit the same kw as the OG 100 packs assuming we precondition the battery.

I noticed the same thing with my X. I have an S as a loaner right now and going from 50 miles to 200 takes about 30 mins...It takes me that long to get 100 miles in my X. My on-board charger was just replaced, but I'll test it out when I get my car back next week.

I just came back from a short road trip up to Ashland. I had reasonable tapers on three of my Supercharging sessions (Mt. Shasta outbound, Mt. Shasta return, Corning return), but my Corning outbound session was messy. I started low, despite not being paired (probably due to low SOC on my 90 pack), then peaked for a bit, then rapidly tapered even though I was below 50%. Yet another reason I dislike Corning - I experience this quite a bit going through there. But I do think my battery is charging just as expected. Degradation, on the other hand, continues...
Screen Shot 2019-09-28 at 9.02.47 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-09-28 at 9.06.57 AM.png

@ohmman Thank you for the TeslaFi graphs. I'm surprised that you continue to see degradation. It really looks like it settled for a while, but really started to drop again. I was rock solid on 6% degradation for a majority of the past 12 months, but I'm starting to see some drops, which I've attributed to changing my daily SoC from 90% to 80%. I haven't done a balance up to 100% in sometime now and I'm hoping that's all that happened.

With the lack of MCU1 and 90D upgrades to newer hardware, I'm starting to think about upgrading. I really don't want to as my X is in great shape with very minimal issues. I just don't really see the need to have to get a whole new car to basically get a new MCU and an upgraded battery. I know that no other car that I've ever owned has had features added OTA, but with the whole idea that these cars could last 500k miles, why not give us an upgrade path to the newest hardware/battery.

I was experiencing something similar (20%-85% - 45 mins @ SC) and they replaced my on-board charger. I haven't been able to use a supercharger yet, but I'll let you know how it goes when I finally do.

Hi guys,

I know it's here a X thread, hereby my experience with my January '16 build S90D V1 battery pack

I now have 230.000km (143.000 miles) with 94kw supercharge limitation since around 80Kkm (50 Kkm) with less than 10% DC supercharge.
Never charge to 100% without riding just after, charging when SOC <20%

New I had 459 km (285 miles), now 393 km (244 miles) but can't reach 300 km in reality with 230 wh/km average consumption

Today scan my tesla :
Screenshot_20191206-100800__01.jpg

Teslafi since November '18
Screenshot_20191221-083705.jpg

Screenshot_20191116-174959__01.jpg