Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X: Average Wh/mile Tracker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have 20" and in FL heat flat roads, I'm averaging 390's but I do drive mostly hwy miles 75-80mph. Will pass 8,000 miles today!

Hmm... I wonder why 20" is not yielding better than 390's as many users are reporting? Is it because of moist/hot air of FL or driving style/road conditions/battery temp??

Looks like I spent $5500 for nothing, of course, other than a killer look of 22" black wheels!!!!

I liked @ Vandacca's idea of powder coating.

I got mine powder-coated a Dark HyperSilver to go with my Midnight Silver paint. Before and after image below...
y4exequ.jpg

Awesome looking wheels. May I ask, how much did you pay for P-C?
I paid way too much (double). But it was convenient because it was all taken care of by the XPel installer. If I had to do it again, I would go with a local powder-coat shop that would have charged me $500 (Canadian), which included having them remove/install the tires. It would have been $400 if I simply showed up with the rims.

I paid way too much (double). But it was convenient because it was all taken care of by the XPel installer. If I had to do it again, I would go with a local powder-coat shop that would have charged me $500 (Canadian), which included having them remove/install the tires. It would have been $400 if I simply showed up with the rims.

It's still worth it. Thanks Vandacca for the prompt response.

Hmm... I wonder why 20" is not yielding better than 390's as many users are reporting? Is it because of moist/hot air of FL or driving style/road conditions/battery temp??

Looks like I spent $5500 for nothing, of course, other than a killer look of 22" black wheels!!!!

I liked @ Vandacca's idea of powder coating.
Hot, moist air is definitely more dense so that could very well be an issue.

My avg. Wh/m is still at 412 with ~3100 miles. Oh yeah, I forgot to add that most of those miles will also have at least one bicycle on a hitch mount rack on the back. That's probably not helping things!

I'm about ready to get some 20's with some more appropriate winter(ish) tires on them anyway. So hopefully my consumption will improve.

Hot, moist air is definitely more dense so that could very well be an issue.

My avg. Wh/m is still at 412 with ~3100 miles. Oh yeah, I forgot to add that most of those miles will also have at least one bicycle on a hitch mount rack on the back. That's probably not helping things!

I'm about ready to get some 20's with some more appropriate winter(ish) tires on them anyway. So hopefully my consumption will improve.

Hi @goneskiian, it looks like 22" is not at all helping with wh/mile average and i hear lot of tire noise. I wonder whether i can use my 22" wheels for 20" Michelin or Goodyear. Thanks.

Hi @goneskiian, it looks like 22" is not at all helping with wh/mile average and i hear lot of tire noise. I wonder whether i can use my 22" wheels for 20" Michelin or Goodyear. Thanks.
Are you asking if you can fit 20" tires on 22" wheels? If so, not possible. You could probably sell them and get some nice 20" wheels and tires though.

I like the way they look and have not had an issue with the reduced range. If I do go to smaller wheels it will be because of the ride. I'm finding the 22's a bit rough. I just did a weekend trip up to the Burlington SC, over the North Cascades Hwy. to Winthrop, stayed for 2 nights, then down along the Columbia river to Wenatchee, over Blewit Pass to the Ellensburg SC and then home. No issues. Would I have been able to skip the SC's with 20's and no bikes on the back? Perhaps. But I needed to stop and use the restroom and eat a meal at each SC stop anyway and had more than enough charge to get to the next stop by then anyway. No range anxiety here and I was enjoying those twisty pass roads! :D:cool:;)

Are you asking if you can fit 20" tires on 22" wheels? If so, not possible. You could probably sell them and get some nice 20" wheels and tires though.

I like the way they look and have not had an issue with the reduced range. If I do go to smaller wheels it will be because of the ride. I'm finding the 22's a bit rough. I just did a weekend trip up to the Burlington SC, over the North Cascades Hwy. to Winthrop, stayed for 2 nights, then down along the Columbia river to Wenatchee, over Blewit Pass to the Ellensburg SC and then home. No issues. Would I have been able to skip the SC's with 20's and no bikes on the back? Perhaps. But I needed to stop and use the restroom and eat a meal at each SC stop anyway and had more than enough charge to get to the next stop by then anyway. No range anxiety here and I was enjoying those twisty pass roads! :D:cool:;)

Yeah, I agree about the rough ride of 22" OEM wheels, though I too like the look of it. I am not sure whether I would get nearly what I paid for 22" OEM wheels, if I can find a buyer for it, as SC was telling me that these OEM wheels will only fit on MX. Please let me know what you get for your OEM wheels and the type/cost of your new tires/wheels. Thanks.

I got mine powder-coated a Dark HyperSilver to go with my Midnight Silver paint. Before and after image below...
y4exequ.jpg
I got my 22 inch silver wheels plastidiped matte black recently, with 13 coats of rubber coating. It would also look great on the 20 inch wheels. $65 per wheel and you can peel it off fully anytime, but can withstand 1800 psi car wash pressure.
IMG_0038.JPG

Yeah, I agree about the rough ride of 22" OEM wheels, though I too like the look of it. I am not sure whether I would get nearly what I paid for 22" OEM wheels, if I can find a buyer for it, as SC was telling me that these OEM wheels will only fit on MX. Please let me know what you get for your OEM wheels and the type/cost of your new tires/wheels. Thanks.
Don't believe the line that the SC is feeding you about only OEM wheels working with the X. If that was true there would be no market for aftermarket wheels. Just get some wheels and tires that match the OEM specs if your worried about the speedometer reading properly. If you like the 22" turbine look go with the Tsportline 20's.

TST 20" Tesla Model X Wheel - TSportline.com - Tesla Model S & Model X Accessories

• Funny
Reactions: ptsagcy
I'm averaging 370 wh/mile for the first 1000 miles. Interesting development today: i gained 5-6 miles while driving from pasadena to irvine, no real down hill and not 'in the green.' (as an aside i got rengenerated miles on 241 downhill toll road section) Was able to charge at a city lot in pasadena during work and started for home with 234 miles rated range. Used AP in heavy stop and go traffic on 210, 57, then i-5. Drove 55 miles and remaining range is now 185 miles. Also pre cooled the car for 1-2 minutes, internal temp was 139 F- i'm not sure i believe it, but it can get hot. AP wh/mile was 260-270!

AP's second best benefit after stop and go highway traffic is much better battery and energy usage...

I'm averaging 370 wh/mile for the first 1000 miles. Interesting development today: i gained 5-6 miles while driving from pasadena to irvine, no real down hill and not 'in the green.' (as an aside i got rengenerated miles on 241 downhill toll road section) Was able to charge at a city lot in pasadena during work and started for home with 234 miles rated range. Used AP in heavy stop and go traffic on 210, 57, then i-5. Drove 55 miles and remaining range is now 185 miles. Also pre cooled the car for 1-2 minutes, internal temp was 139 F- i'm not sure i believe it, but it can get hot. AP wh/mile was 260-270!

AP's second best benefit after stop and go highway traffic is much better battery and energy usage...

That's really a good wh/mile avg. do you have 20" or 22" wheels?

Just made a reset on Trip B the day I upgraded - so far it's -14Wh/mi with 8.0 but it's not enough miles to 'drive' a conclusion yet. Also we have less than 1000 miles on it (75D), so it will be hard to distinguish from tire wear and temperature change here in NJ...