Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X: Average Wh/mile Tracker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have been scanning this thread to get a feel for the average Wh/m. Lots of great info. There is one other factor that I think hasn't been mentioned here yet: Tire pressure.

Tire pressure impacts the energy consumption quite significantly and could also explain to some of the differences reported here.

As does tire composition have a profound impact, so does tire pressure. The higher the pressure, the lower the energy consumption. Of course, don't over do it. However, I tend to be on the high end of reasonable tire pressure. And in my experience, having a higher tire pressure gives me at least 5 to 10% extra range on the same tires. Low tire pressure causes more energy getting lost on friction of the rubber.

Perhaps we could add tire pressure to the data set reported here (together with wh/m, outside temp, ac settings, tire size and tire type)?

Reactions: vandacca
360 wh/mile for first 3300 miles in X90D. Most of that round trip from west coast of FL to Chicago. 70-73 mph on 20" tires. Typical around town at < 45 mph=315 wh/mile.

X is 10" higher and 2" wider than S=~15% greater wind resistance. X is 10% heavier than S with corresponding increase in rolling friction. Musk/Straubel published 140 wh/mile rolling friction and 180 wh/mile for S85 @ 65 mph. X should therefore be about 154 + 212= 366 wh/mile @ 65. This agrees with my experience.

X takes about an hour longer per 600 mile road trip day than S due to longer charging time for same average speed.

• Informative
Reactions: Softwizard
One revelation I have had with my little over a week old MX and range. I started out like most and punching it to feel the power, so my wh/mile sucked which was fine. Then I moved into more of the mode of trying to drive normally like I did with my ICE car. Range averaged around 385 or so. Still seemed high to me even though I felt like I was driving conservative. Mind you I live in Orlando and it's hotter than snot so AC is cranking, and I have kids so rear AC too.

Now here is my revelation. I know about the regenerative braking. Have been trying to time when I let off the gas so the braking stops me where I want. But that was hard to hit. I have now figured out how to alternate off the gas and slightly on to control my stopping. Wow what a difference that has made. Now I'm around 333 average! For me it is a total feel thing that took me awhile to understand and apply but I think I have it now. Said differently, instead of just trying to shoot for when I should completely come off the gas to slow down I just decrease the pressure on it which slows me down. Again it's a feel thing that took me until now to get it...

Anyway, being a newbie to Tesla wanted to share this for others in case they were trying to make headway in your wh/mile. Perhaps this post helps...

X takes about an hour longer per 600 mile road trip day than S due to longer charging time for same average speed.

Maybe if you don't have kids. In our 1800 mile road trip in Model X we only waited on a Supercharger once and that is because it was raining and we couldn't let our toddler run around. Every other charging stop was determined by a meal time, diaper change, playing in the Chick-fil-A play area, etc. We did ~750 miles in one day on our return trip home and it would have been no faster in Model S.

Reactions: Tslynk67
One revelation I have had with my little over a week old MX and range. I started out like most and punching it to feel the power, so my wh/mile sucked which was fine. Then I moved into more of the mode of trying to drive normally like I did with my ICE car. Range averaged around 385 or so. Still seemed high to me even though I felt like I was driving conservative. Mind you I live in Orlando and it's hotter than snot so AC is cranking, and I have kids so rear AC too.

Now here is my revelation. I know about the regenerative braking. Have been trying to time when I let off the gas so the braking stops me where I want. But that was hard to hit. I have now figured out how to alternate off the gas and slightly on to control my stopping. Wow what a difference that has made. Now I'm around 333 average! For me it is a total feel thing that took me awhile to understand and apply but I think I have it now. Said differently, instead of just trying to shoot for when I should completely come off the gas to slow down I just decrease the pressure on it which slows me down. Again it's a feel thing that took me until now to get it...

Anyway, being a newbie to Tesla wanted to share this for others in case they were trying to make headway in your wh/mile. Perhaps this post helps...

Perfectly summarized! I think I may have mastered that art to an extent, and my average is now 323 (1800 miles so far on my 75d). It is a pleasure to watch the average drop, as it just shows good driving mechanics, longer durability for the vehicle and for a safe driving experience overall!

Reactions: jrichey
We're around ~360Wh/mile after 5 days and ~300 miles (probably not enough of a sample size). Usually I start at 210 estimated range and end at 130 for a 60 mile trip. Completely used to the regen since I used to drive a stick and almost never used my brakes, however, I accelerate pretty hard and love the torque and take advantage everywhere I can. I don't think the novelty is going to wear off anytime soon, so I'll shoot for 350Wh/mile long-term.

Anyone notice the math does not work for watts/mile. If 330 to 340 is design and drive a few miles and wind up at 340 or so the range always drops much more than the "rated" miles. IE I find in a 5 mile trip I might use 8 rated miles and show 350 watts per mile. Where do the missing watts go? Is AC and heat and unaccounted for loss?

Anyone notice the math does not work for watts/mile. If 330 to 340 is design and drive a few miles and wind up at 340 or so the range always drops much more than the "rated" miles. IE I find in a 5 mile trip I might use 8 rated miles and show 350 watts per mile. Where do the missing watts go? Is AC and heat and unaccounted for loss?

There are a few topics covering this phenomena. The "rated" in wh/m terms should not be calculated at 100%. My 75 comes to 316 by that calc. About 90% of that apparently should be a more accurate calc for achieving "rated" miles, which means I have to make about 285 wh/m.

Just received my 75D couple of days ago and took it to a 102-mile highway ride after supercharging at 235 (don't know why it doesn't get to 237 posted limit, but will wait until 1000 mile). It used up 163 charge for an actual 102-mile run on a flat surface with unusually warm Texas weather at 77 degrees. Obviously I couldn’t get back to the nearest Tesla supercharger which was 102 miles away when it showed 72 on the dash. I ended up towing MX after nearly wasting 5 hours on the highway. I will post all technical stats in a day or so, but just wanted to let users know about this, as I believe, Tesla’s suggested ratings are not correct.

Just received my 75D couple of days ago and took it to a 102-mile highway ride after supercharging at 235 (don't know why it doesn't get to 237 posted limit, but will wait until 1000 mile). It used up 163 charge for an actual 102-mile run on a flat surface with unusually warm Texas weather at 77 degrees. Obviously I couldn’t get back to the nearest Tesla supercharger which was 102 miles away when it showed 72 on the dash. I ended up towing MX after nearly wasting 5 hours on the highway. I will post all technical stats in a day or so, but just wanted to let users know about this, as I believe, Tesla’s suggested ratings are not correct.

Wow! That doesn't sound right. Were you racing by any chance? What is your Average wh/mile so far?