Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X December Deliveries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My DS has so far provided absolutely zero value so far. This is how she responds to why its been 21 days in production:

"Thank you for reaching out. Your Model X is still in active production but moving along very nicely. It should be complete within the next week or two and I will reach out as soon as I learn more."

I know its a big factory but there is no place to move around nicely for 21 days :( My holiday plans are a mess because of this uncertainty.

Ordered: Sept 18
In Production: Nov 16

I have the same DS. You can't even expect a response within 48 hours. These "Thank you for reaching out..." that start every email are seriously getting on my nerves. Most should start with: "Sorry you've had to reach out and it's taken me so long to get back to you with no information whatsoever aside from platitudes."

Kind of hard to tell with the quarter panel
IMG_4892.JPG
IMG_4893.JPG
Can you please provide a picture so I know what to look for during my delivery. Pretty please

Reactions: MX1028
passenger side door and rear quarter panel trim is misaligned. Everything else looks fine. Haven't had a chance to drive it yet. I have been working so haven't had a chance to play with it yet. My wife is disappointed with the misalignment, but I guess from reading this forum, I knew I might get this problem. I will bring it up to the service ranger to realign it for us when we talk to him.
Thanks for the response and the pics. Hopefully they get it to your satisfaction. Enjoy the car!! Gotta say feeling a little jealous!!

I have the same DS. You can't even expect a response within 48 hours. These "Thank you for reaching out..." that start every email are seriously getting on my nerves. Most should start with: "Sorry you've had to reach out and it's taken me so long to get back to you with no information whatsoever aside from platitudes."

I feel lucky - my DS replies quickly, even if it's always me that reaches out first - but it does seem like they either don't have insight into the factory status or are barred from sharing it. Here's what mine said today:

Unfortunately, that is all the information I have from our production teams at this time. I will give you as much advance notice for delivery as possible, but I ask for your flexibility and patience throughout the production process.

We are all expecting (as it's in their job description) that the DS can/should guide us through production, but maybe they are intended to be there mostly for the *delivery* part of it.

This report on Electrek has me really concerned. This is a LOT of Teslas being manufactured in a short time frame. I'm so concerned I will have quality issues, but keeping my fingers crossed. The photos in this article are unreal and then when the person taking the photos was leaving, she saw two trucks full of Teslas.

Granted most in the panoramic photo are MS, you will notice when the camera pans around there are some MX sightings in the mix.

Tesla is on a full end-of-the-year delivery push to meet goal of 80,000 cars delivered in 2016

I don't see what's surprising about that. They are cranking about 60K cars a year which is almost 1,200 cars a week. They have to go somewhere...

I'm still trying to figure out how their factory is big enough to hold thousands of cars "in production" however. We've got people at 20+ days in production, being told that's totally normal, which means there are something like 3,000 cars "in production" right now. That's 11 ACRES of cars parked bumper to bumper, mirror to mirror.

Not to mention being over 1/4 BILLION dollars of product in Work-In-Progress.

There cannot be any way that many cars are really in production, unless they are counting a giant pile of parts gathering to prepare for the actual deed part of their 'in production' status. I mean, it's pretty clear production to them means something more than just the literal time to build the car, which in theory is really short. I am just not sure anyone has the secret decoder ring.

My X and S never showed any progress on my Tesla account. I was told by the DS that they would go into production on Dec 5 and should be in NJ by Dec 30. Then on on Dec 6 my DS calls me and says the X is on the Truck (I believe he said already in Ohio) and will be in NJ in a few days..... I don't think the DS knows much about the build progress either....

My original X p90d was contracted at the end of Nov 2015 and was not in my hands until March of 2016... Granted, its a very early number... but I still have that experience on my mind.

Greg

My X and S never showed any progress on my Tesla account. I was told by the DS that they would go into production on Dec 5 and should be in NJ by Dec 30. Then on on Dec 6 my DS calls me and says the X is on the Truck (I believe he said already in Ohio) and will be in NJ in a few days..... I don't think the DS knows much about the build progress either....

Greg

At least that's somewhat reassuring. Maybe some of our 20-30 day builds are really already in transit (and just terribly tracked)? We can only hope they are not just collecting dust in a back room at the factory.

-
There cannot be any way that many cars are really in production, unless they are counting a giant pile of parts gathering to prepare for the actual deed part of their 'in production' status. I mean, it's pretty clear production to them means something more than just the literal time to build the car, which in theory is really short. I am just not sure anyone has the secret decoder ring.
In August of 2016 they were producing 2k/week (according to the attached PDF) and I think we can assume that things have sped up for end-of-year. We can also assume that some of the manufacturing steps take significant time -- things like paint drying/hardening, software burn-in, and drive testing. Because of the flaws in their reporting infrastructure I think it's hard to determine how long a car manufacture really takes, but they have to be able to store at least the 2k in there + cars that need extra time + some flex units.

I wish Tesla did a 'radical transparency' thing where you could see what station in manufacture your car was in, but I suspect they worry about customer fear/lack of knowledge about how factories really work:
"why is my car spending an extra hour in paint?"
"why did my car go back to door welding?"
"this car spent too long in drive testing, I want a new one"

Attachments

• Q2_16_Update_Letter_-_final.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 55
Yeah, but at the same time, I got the sense there were probably way more than 2000 people whose status is supposedly 'in production'. But then again it might not be that way since what's reported here in the forums does tend to be a misrepresentation of the whole since only a subset come here.

EDIT: But it still doesn't account for those people who have been told for weeks that their car is in production. Which was my main point: 'in production' can't mean just actual building. A week to build the vehicle is more than enough, since the high-volume manufacturers seem to be able to do it in about 18 hours.

Last edited:
My X is stuck in production.
Nov 18 - Mytesla changed to: in production.
over ten days later:
Nov 29 - Email from DS informing my X entering production
Nov 30 - Email from Tesla informing my X entering production
Dec 6th last info pulled from my DS: "it's in the final stage of production ", "just because Mytesla shows in production doesn't mean it is", "we'll let you know when to expect it once it's shipped"

Dec 6th last info pulled from my DS: "it's in the final stage of production ", "just because Mytesla shows in production doesn't mean it is", "we'll let you know when to expect it once it's shipped"
Well, this is great. So Tesla provides three sources of information for production, all of them unreliable? The MyTesla info is just there as Christmas decoration but isn't real? Sheesh.