Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X: Delivery Frustrations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Starting a new thread as I originally posted in the Raven thread about my experience thus far.

Here is my story.

I have been waiting for weeks but my order process has been somewhat.... complicated. Here is the full recap.

TLDR: My experience with Telsa thus far has been abysmal at best.

• Ordered a new Pearl White, LR, 6 seat white interior on 7/22 via the mobile site and immediately received a call from a Santa Monica SA. So far so good!
• The SA told me to expect delivery within 5-10 days. After the 13th day, I reached out to get an ETA but my email went without a response. Another email the following day, followed by a voicemail without a callback. All the while, I could see (my email client has this feature) emails were being read just not getting a response. By day 15, frustration was peaking ... JUST GIVE ME A HEADS UP! If it's going to be 3,4, 5 weeks, just tell me. I know a lot of this is out of the hands of SAs but at least communicate.
• After not hearing I went down to the store to confront the SA and get some insight. He had no answers.
• 2 days later I get the text to pick up the car.
• I curbed all previous frustration as I went to pick up the car; excited as a child on Christmas!
• Delivery Center felt more like a pop-up Halloween store at the mall than a "high-end delivery center"
• Sign here, initial here, the car is out front ...
• Walked outside and BAM!
• Cosmetic issue after cosmetic issue, paint, panels, trim, AND A BIG OL DENT in the bumper! (hard to see with the lighting but it was LARGE)
• THIS IS A 100K+ CAR! WTF!
• "We can fix this, not a big deal, this is an outlier, this never happens, etc etc"
• That is what really set me off. That is like me going up to the delivery managers car, hitting it with a bat and telling him/her "don't worry about it, I got a guy who will fix this for free" This is supposed to be a brand new car, dents aren't acceptable.
• I refused the delivery and went inside to talk with the delivery manager. He assured me this never happened, that my case was one in a million and that they would deliver a brand new car. I then showed him similar issues with the other pearl white in the lot, ready for delivery. ohh

HERE IS WHERE IT GETS FUN

• While inside, he starts asking if I would be interested in a different combo. Red with tan? White with 5 seats? ...
"Uhhhhh, no" to which he asked "What about your same configuration but with the black 22" wheels," I told him, "sure but I am not paying extra" ... to which he said, "no no, as a token of good faith for this unfortunate situation" - Great! Done. They gave me a loaner and sent me on my way
• Hopped in the 60F 2016 X that drove like a tank and was on my way. Now, prior to this, the only time I had driven an MX was a quick test drive months prior. This drove quite differently. No worries
• The next day, I get a call from the SA saying they can't make good on their offer. No upgrade. Fine, just order a car with no issues ... "sorry, sorry, we will have the brand new vehicle in the next few days"
• A few days later I get an alert for pickup, go to get it ANNNNNNDDDD. SAME VIN!
• WTF!
• Tesla said it was an error with the sorting algorithm and that they would have a new one soon
• Head back home
• A week goes by, no word
• Another week goes by, nada
• Take my wife, 4-year-old and 2 dogs to Santa Barbara in the rental, head back to the car and it won't open, the key doesn't work. Call service, spend 2 hrs on the phone, nothing. Nothing they can do but flatbed the car to a service center. The battery on both the key and car were fine. They said because it's a loaner, they cant tie an account to it and therefore cant remote unlock and start. It's Sunday and nothing is open, so we would have to flatbed the truck and then try to get home (2hrs away) and we can't get the car seat out of the car. 3 hrs later, the manager of the Santa Monica store (the only silver lining throughout this ordeal) gets back to me and finds an engineer to get the car unlocked and started! THANK GOD! I still to this day have no idea how I would have gotten us all home.
• Swap out the 2016 60D for a 2016 90D and it's SO MUCH nicer!
• 2 weeks later and still no car, still waiting. Changed to black on black to expedite.

Still waiting but at least they gave me the loaner in the interim (sold my car prior to ordering the initial X)

This whole experience has been akin to renting a car at a Budget Rental car. This isn't high touch, this isn't QC'ed, this is nowhere near what a 100K+ car buying experience should be like. It sucks because while I am still excited to finally get the car I have doubts ...

Wow. If this was my first experience I would’ve never owned one. I would’ve walked when they couldn’t get me the car I wanted. It doesn’t matter if the car is 100k or 20k. You’re buying new, you should get the car you want in pristine condition. Sorry for your experience.

Reactions: BulldogsRus
The saddest part of this thread - the X is the best EV in its class even with all these issues. If they fixed the quality the competition would never have a chance.

Competition is still a decade behind to catch up to the current state of Tesla.

A super charger network was the minimum viable product for a BEV.

No one is touching Tesla’s network or even trying.

Electricity for BEV is like oxygen for the drivers.

The paint bubbles can be fixed, but the panel misalignment and gaps may not be. They seem to be a common issue with Telsa cars. Personally, I can live with some misalignment issues as long as they are not too obvious. In fact, I'm a little afraid they will mess it up more by trying to fix it.

This is very similar with my CPO car- they are buying it back at full purchase price now even after 6 months of ownership. I did put an order in for a new raven X- here’s to hoping O win the Tesla lottery. My model 3 had a couple paint defects- but that was fixed quickly-

yes, welcome to tesla. standard build quality and customer service issues.

they say one in a million but that's a lie, these issues are pretty commonplace. if you are not picky you will think you got a perfect car but if you notice things...yeah. tesla is not where it needs to be right now which is really a shame.

This is downright scarey. I ordered MX LR FSD white / cream, three weeks ago. Now thinking about cancelling even before getting a VIN. To be expected to drive a 90k car off the lot in that condition is totally absurd. I've never had a great experience with dealers anyway, but that was with cars costing 1/4 - 1/3 of MX.

FWIW: I’ve had your specified combo since June of last year with NO issues. I also have a very early AP1 VIN that once door locks were converted to the right part I’ve had no issues since mid 2016.

The X is hands down the best large vehicle in the road (btw: two of my sons have model 3’s and they love their cars/have had zero issues after 1+ year if ownership.l).

I know :(

What do you mean by "top covers removed" How may seats do you have?
He is probably talking about the removable bottom shelves in the back. They’ll give your dogs an almost crate like home.
FWIW, my experience with my X from December 2018 has been mostly good. Yes, some panels are just a little misaligned, it doesn’t bother me that much. Especially around the fwd, it’s more important that the doors work perfectly than that the panels are perfect. These doors are a feat of engineering and I am ok with making small compromises. A persistent clunking in the back was resolved by a genius mechanic at my SC who took the whole car inside apart and found the issue buried deep in the side.
Love driving this thing everyday! And yes, I got Uber vouchers and hated it! But I see all these issues as growing pains. If they wouldn’t sell each car they make, they’d have loaners. I found that most everyone I come in contact with at Tesla is doing their very best! The organizational structure will be worked out over time.
Good Luck with whatever you decide, the other cars you mentioned are great choices too!

Starting a new thread as I originally posted in the Raven thread about my experience thus far.

Here is my story.

I have been waiting for weeks but my order process has been somewhat.... complicated. Here is the full recap.

TLDR: My experience with Telsa thus far has been abysmal at best.

• Ordered a new Pearl White, LR, 6 seat white interior on 7/22 via the mobile site and immediately received a call from a Santa Monica SA. So far so good!
• The SA told me to expect delivery within 5-10 days. After the 13th day, I reached out to get an ETA but my email went without a response. Another email the following day, followed by a voicemail without a callback. All the while, I could see (my email client has this feature) emails were being read just not getting a response. By day 15, frustration was peaking ... JUST GIVE ME A HEADS UP! If it's going to be 3,4, 5 weeks, just tell me. I know a lot of this is out of the hands of SAs but at least communicate.
• After not hearing I went down to the store to confront the SA and get some insight. He had no answers.
• 2 days later I get the text to pick up the car.
• I curbed all previous frustration as I went to pick up the car; excited as a child on Christmas!
• Delivery Center felt more like a pop-up Halloween store at the mall than a "high-end delivery center"
• Sign here, initial here, the car is out front ...
• Walked outside and BAM!
• Cosmetic issue after cosmetic issue, paint, panels, trim, AND A BIG OL DENT in the bumper! (hard to see with the lighting but it was LARGE)
• THIS IS A 100K+ CAR! WTF!
• "We can fix this, not a big deal, this is an outlier, this never happens, etc etc"
• That is what really set me off. That is like me going up to the delivery managers car, hitting it with a bat and telling him/her "don't worry about it, I got a guy who will fix this for free" This is supposed to be a brand new car, dents aren't acceptable.
• I refused the delivery and went inside to talk with the delivery manager. He assured me this never happened, that my case was one in a million and that they would deliver a brand new car. I then showed him similar issues with the other pearl white in the lot, ready for delivery. ohh

HERE IS WHERE IT GETS FUN

• While inside, he starts asking if I would be interested in a different combo. Red with tan? White with 5 seats? ...
"Uhhhhh, no" to which he asked "What about your same configuration but with the black 22" wheels," I told him, "sure but I am not paying extra" ... to which he said, "no no, as a token of good faith for this unfortunate situation" - Great! Done. They gave me a loaner and sent me on my way
• Hopped in the 60F 2016 X that drove like a tank and was on my way. Now, prior to this, the only time I had driven an MX was a quick test drive months prior. This drove quite differently. No worries
• The next day, I get a call from the SA saying they can't make good on their offer. No upgrade. Fine, just order a car with no issues ... "sorry, sorry, we will have the brand new vehicle in the next few days"
• A few days later I get an alert for pickup, go to get it ANNNNNNDDDD. SAME VIN!
• WTF!
• Tesla said it was an error with the sorting algorithm and that they would have a new one soon
• Head back home
• A week goes by, no word
• Another week goes by, nada
• Take my wife, 4-year-old and 2 dogs to Santa Barbara in the rental, head back to the car and it won't open, the key doesn't work. Call service, spend 2 hrs on the phone, nothing. Nothing they can do but flatbed the car to a service center. The battery on both the key and car were fine. They said because it's a loaner, they cant tie an account to it and therefore cant remote unlock and start. It's Sunday and nothing is open, so we would have to flatbed the truck and then try to get home (2hrs away) and we can't get the car seat out of the car. 3 hrs later, the manager of the Santa Monica store (the only silver lining throughout this ordeal) gets back to me and finds an engineer to get the car unlocked and started! THANK GOD! I still to this day have no idea how I would have gotten us all home.
• Swap out the 2016 60D for a 2016 90D and it's SO MUCH nicer!
• 2 weeks later and still no car, still waiting. Changed to black on black to expedite.

Still waiting but at least they gave me the loaner in the interim (sold my car prior to ordering the initial X)

This whole experience has been akin to renting a car at a Budget Rental car. This isn't high touch, this isn't QC'ed, this is nowhere near what a 100K+ car buying experience should be like. It sucks because while I am still excited to finally get the car I have doubts ...

OH BOY! i'm expecting delivery next friday..,i was excited till reading about your experience! hoping you were the unfortunate exception...my hubs went into the store and told them it's like dealing with a 7-11 store..no a luxury car dealer!! Crossing my fingers. Good Luck to you also!!

OH BOY! i'm expecting delivery next friday..,i was excited till reading about your experience! hoping you were the unfortunate exception...my hubs went into the store and told them it's like dealing with a 7-11 store..no a luxury car dealer!! Crossing my fingers. Good Luck to you also!!
Make sure you do a thorough inspection. I’ve heard you have 3 days to report any defects. Look closely for paint defects, dings or dents. Any panel alignment issues should also be noted. When I got my 3 last year - they fixed things I noticed a couple weeks after. Nowadays you get 3 days maybe less. When I pick up my x I’m bringing a flashlight etc for inspection. It really is a crapshoot for service my closes service center is not good. But have heard ones in surrounding areas are much better. Your best bet would be mobile service - I’ve never had an issue with mobile service. Best of luck!

you are 100% correct but to be honest, I was a bit apprehensive of the white seats given my affinity for raw denim. Probably wouldn't have been the best combo with the white seats. I also saw someone (while supercharging) who had a brand new black on black and did the Xpel Stealth and chrome delete ... Good lord did it look good. So yeah, not fully based on expediting the order.

Speaking of which, still waiting

HOWEVER, the latest loaner they gave me was a new raven model with only a couple hundred miles and the difference between this model and the older ones is night and day.

And then today ... and the dent photo.

So just now, I go to get in the 2nd loaner and open the driver side door to put my bags in the car for work, close the door and then go to put my daughter in her car seat. Can't open the door, nothing works. House keys, computer, etc are locked in the vehicle. Called roadside and they said they would need to tow it out that they can't wake the car.

WHAT THE F%^K WOULD THEY DO IF MY DAUGHTER WAS IN THERE FIRST!

If God forbid this did happen, I would have had something hard enough to smash the window but what if I were somewhere remote?
"It's newish!"
-Tesla

Second loaner was just towed and currently in an Uber to pick up my third. sigh

Outside the abysmal quality control and high touch, the real issue is this ... NOBODY at this company has the authority or autonomy to do a thing.

I called roadside and explained my situation and the “what if’s” and NOBODY had a clue what they would have done; nor did the SA’s i finally got in touch with.

To me, Tesla seems like a sinking ship without anyone to take control.
It's like a company run by Millenials, they look at you momentarily and then right back down at their phones pretending you don't exist!

Its because they have very few if any automobile employees working there. Its run by a bunch of young kids straight out of autoshop class and the service manager used to work for apple. They have no idea what it truly takes to run a "dealership". Until Tesla gets there stuff together and finally figures out the most important thing is customer experience after the sale, not the actual sale. The cars sell themselves which is why you can just buy one online. Actually getting a good one is another story.
Very true, and unfortunately they are in desperation mode to make a profit so inevitably corners get cut, and in car buying the top two pillars are quality and customer satisfaction. Tesla should thank their lucky starts that Benz, BMW or even Toyota don't have legit EV competitors on the market right now.

UPDATE

I am in a new loaner but am still waiting to hear from Tesla for someone to make this right.

The fact I haven’t received a call or at least an email from someone trying to clean up this mess is INSANE!

Honestly, the DMV has better customer appreciation.
They really don't care, they have your sale and will only placate you knowing you returned their car as unacceptable. Now they'll make you wait under the guise of "making it right".