Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Design: Ugly or Sexy? Prius?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will add one more comparison for the appearance. The 2016 Volt has a complete new look and a higher EV range than last year.

2016-Chevrolet-Volt-024-1024x683.jpg

Model X Front.jpg

With the exception of the wheels, this looks just like every other econobox.

Well it looks efficiently line-stream-y. And the door handles are flush.
Is this a real car or just a concept onesie?

I wonder if Tesla will allow them to use their Superchargers.
Show me the charge port and I'll take a good guess.

Last edited:
Well it looks efficiently line-stream-y. And the door handles are flush.
Is this a real car or just a concept onesie?

Show me the charge port and I'll take a good guess.

Audi said this week they are building it, and that it will require a charging network. Basically it is Audi's answer to the upmarket version of the Model 3 and the low end MS. The Audi is a three motor design, with two in the back.

Interesting they claim a very low Cd, even with the boxy front.

I don't expect any German automaker to buy into the supercharger network. That would further legitimize Tesla, and help a small competitor to reduce overhead expense.

Last edited:
In my opinion, losing the "grille" has made the X lose it's face. I liked the pre-production units better. I wasn't likely to ever buy one, but I think I'd only consider black (since it looks more or less like the black pre-production units)

The way it is set up now reminds me of a squirrel or something.

I've been a reservation holder for a year now. While I have configured the car multiple times online, I can't get myself to hit the "order" button. I was not overwhelmed by the updated design that was revealed at the launch event a few months ago and now that I have seen a few Model Xs on the road in L.A., I must say that I am really disappointed. The original design with the nosecone was much more attractive in my opinion. All it needed was a carbon fiber spoiler to give it more of an aggressive feel. The updated model is just boring and kind of weak looking for a $130,000 supercar. I know that Tesla likes to joke that they are a software company. It feels like they fell into the trap of many software companies which is to focus too much on new features that nobody is asking for (monopole seats, curved windshield, etc.) while ignoring the basic functionality that people really care about (e.g., basic design). Does anybody like using iTunes any longer?

Design is very personal and you never please everyone. I think the Model S is one of the most beautiful sedans in the world, having said that the Model X is a different vehicle. If I were to only want one Tesla it would be the S, but being able to have both is perfect. As I stated in another thread I have a classic S without all the goodies so having a vehicle for the snow and hauling will be great. Of course my goal is to have no gas vehicles. I kind of like the new nose cone, but you know the saying "opinions are like a------s, everyone has one".

Design is very personal and you never please everyone. I think the Model S is one of the most beautiful sedans in the world, having said that the Model X is a different vehicle. If I were to only want one Tesla it would be the S, but being able to have both is perfect. As I stated in another thread I have a classic S without all the goodies so having a vehicle for the snow and hauling will be great. Of course my goal is to have no gas vehicles. I kind of like the new nose cone, but you know the saying "opinions are like a------s, everyone has one".

I agree with you about the Model S. I've had mine for 2 1/2 years now (VIN 130XX) and think it's stunning. The X, not so much. We'll see how the marketplace reacts over time.

To all saying the X looks bad... Can we go back in time 4-5 years? I distinctly remember people Strongly disliking, even hating the front "grille" of the model S. Teslas don't need a front 'grille' there is simply no reason other than to make it look more like a traditional car. I think Tesla is introducing the new look for EVs. Specifically going forward into the model 3 and on.
If you don't like it now you will probably get used to it and learn to love it.